Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Who makes the best AR chambered in 308.???

Okay so i read the "So you want to buy an ar ? thread... i was just trying to see who makes the best one chambered in 308? 16 inch barrel? that isnt too pricey? And can i get a link ?

thanks

Oh no, it's da Po-Po Blackdog F4i's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moose7289 View Post
    Okay so i read the "So you want to buy an ar ? thread... i was just trying to see who makes the best one chambered in 308? 16 inch barrel? that isnt too pricey? And can i get a link ?
    No one.

you are going to spend quite a bit, then even more to feed it.

Semiauto .308's are expensive. I prefer the Armalite AR-10. The DPMS LR-308 is also popular. Either one is going to cost you.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member
    Blackdog is right; they are expensive. And there will be no "best." There may be, however, a rifle that has exactly the features you need.

Armalite is a great brand IMO because they do not just pump out the same old junk as everyone else with their brand stamped on it. Armalite is always tweaking the platform to see where improvements can be made.

This is the cheapest AR-10 that Armalite sells and it runs at ~$1500
    http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...0-49488ec48776

A bit cheaper and possibly the most common that I've seen is DPMS. They do have a lot of different configurations. This bare-bones 16" sporting model lacks an ejection port cover/forward assist/shell deflector but it is available for ~$1000:
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5355

And it seems to be a little less popular than the other 2 mentioned but Rock River Arms also has .308 AR's, they call them their LAR-8 line. Price is just under ~$1200
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=255

But make sure you don't forget the true cost: ammo. If you want to shoot new factory ammo it will cost you anywhere from ~$1.00-$2.50 per round. If you get a deal on some surplus ammo you can get it for just over $0.50 per round.
    Last edited by Fëanor; 09-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Forum Member
    Noveske Rifleworks sells one, it is approx $3400.

Forum Member
    If money has a limit then DPMS is the only answer.

Of course the Knight's Armament is the best when not considering cost.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po Blackdog F4i's Avatar
    If money was not a consideration I would have a Noveske Leonidas.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member
    Nobody!!! Because The Ar Sucks With Its Direct Impingement System, And What Do You Think Will Happen With A More Powerful Round? Hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Forum Member
    Just kidding. I'd go for a DPMS myself. No, they don't make JWise's hallowed "good AR-15" list in 5.56, but I've heard nothing but good about them. Of course, I don't qualify for the holy Ar-15 group, so I don't know what the **** I'm talking about....

Quote Originally Posted by boomstik45 View Post
    so I don't know what the **** I'm talking about....
    Agreed.

The DPMS has been having quite a few issues. We just sent a brand new .308 SASS back as a matter of fact.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomstik45 View Post
    Nobody!!! Because The Ar Sucks With Its Direct Impingement System,
    I think you are a victim of hype...

And What Do You Think Will Happen With A More Powerful Round? Hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    1st a more powerful round doesn't necessarily equate to higher chamber pressures, 2nd you could always reduce the size of the gas port...

I agree with the Noveske. Never had any issues with the one I played with in Afghanistan.

boomstick... are you alright?
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Armalite IMO
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

GGG
    The best .308 AR is a DS Arms FAL.

I was trying to decide between a DPMS .308 or a FAL. I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    The best .308 AR is a DS Arms FAL.

I was trying to decide between a DPMS .308 or a FAL. I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".
    Those are outstanding.

The SA58TAC Tactical Carbine has a 16.25" barrel, and is listed by DSARMS at $1650. The SA58ELITE is listed at $1910. The SA58SPR runs close to $5000.

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-Tactical-Series/products/36/

Forum Member
    I am intimitely familiar with AR's, so I went DSA FAL to have something different. Plus it looks "sexier".
    Always a good idea to broaden your horizons. I always like knowing another type of firearm just in case when the SHTF that is the only one available. It would suck to be in a life-or-death situation, pick up a gun off the ground, and not know how to use it!

I gotta say, though, for $5000 you would think they would advertise with a little more detail than "Premium Barrel" on those FALs. Is it Stainless? Chrome moly? Chrome-lined? Unobtainium?

But you're still cheating....

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Forum Member
    I own an Armalite AR-10, 16" barrel and collapsible stock. Its an excellent, accurate firearm. I also have a department issued Springfield Scout .308 with 18" barrel, it too is a fine rifle. However, if I had to choose between the two I would take the AR.

Forum Member
    My first two posts were examples of sarcasm. I thought the extremity thereof might make it obvious. Perhaps I was mistaken. So here's the stoic version:

I hear all the time from AR-haters how bad the direct impingement system is. If you've been around the block, you've heard it too. Yet, the platform continues to see use everywhere. Hilarious isn't it? So no, I am NOT a victim of the hype. If you want to be real about it, there's hype in either direction....for and against direct impingement system...and any other "system" out there. Personally, I don't believe that a newer, more expensive piston-run upper is a "cure" for something that doesn't seem to be broken. If it runs and runs well one way (the way it was DESIGNED), leave it the hell alone. If it was designed from the get-go as piston-run or something else, then that's a different story.

I really don't know from hands-on experience, so I couldn't say for sure how a .308 chambered AR is going to work.

Actually, I've heard great things about the DPMS rifles, in both 5.56 and .308 calibers. I know guys that have them and like them. Have they put them through any tough carbine/rifle classes? No. Most of them have NOT. Have they been tested in harsh or even intermediate combat conditions? Not by the guys that I know who have them. Are they using them daily as patrol weapons or in active combat? No. So, "I like this rifle and might put a few hundred rounds through it in a year's time" is not proof anything for me. Most guns in general will run just fine that way.

In JWise's long but informative AR-15 post, the FACTS are presented. DPMS doesn't toe the line when it comes to "correct" design. Can you get one to work for you? I'm sure you can. But as most of us know, the AR-10 and other variants have had issues. I'm not sure why. I figure DPMS is no different, but are you going to run into problems if you're not shooting that much? Well, you might, but the less you shoot, the less likely you will be to have problems.

Personally, I'd go for a different platform if going with .308. Although....Noveske is one of the best out there at what they do. But then, people said that same thing about Armalite at one time. Who knows. Think I'd go for an FAL or M1A....but that's just me....

"1st a more powerful round doesn't necessarily equate to higher chamber pressures, 2nd you could always reduce the size of the gas port..."

I'm aware of this. Again, it was just sarcasm. But I have to wonder....a company that doesn't care enough to get the details right on a weapon chambered in 5.56....are they suddenly going to "get it right" when using the SAME platform with a more powerful caliber? It's kind of like saying "well, we know we didn't quite make this gun durable/reliable enough for 9mm subsonic ammo....but here...we're now offering the same product chambered in .41 magnum...Enjoy!"

Aaaaaaaah, ok. Gotcha

We get the occasional "nut" in the group... good to know you're not actually crazy

Quote Originally Posted by justhomp View Post
    Aaaaaaaah, ok. Gotcha

We get the occasional "nut" in the group... good to know you're not actually crazy
    After reading some of my old posts I think I could qualify as one of those "occasional "nuts" in the group".

A buddy of mine bought a used DPMS in .308 and loves it.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Forum Member
    boomstik45,
    You still seem to have your facts wrong.

The AR-10 was the predecessor to the AR-15, not the other way around, or was this sarcasm again???

In 1955, Eugene Stoner completed initial design work on the revolutionary AR-10.

In 1957 at the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and drafter L. James Sullivan designed the AR-15 from the basic AR-10 design, scaling it down to fire the small-caliber .223 Remington cartridge.

The .223 Remington was developed as an enlarged and higher velocity version of the .222 Remington, which was introduced in 1950 as a varmint cartridge. The .223 Remington was developed specifically for the Armalite AR-15, a version of which later became the U.S. military's M16 rifle.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.

DAL
    I like my HK-91.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Kinda fond of my POF-308. Always works and shoots into a dime at 50 yards.

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Crom1966 View Post
    Kinda fond of my POF-308. Always works and shoots into a dime at 50 yards.

The same dime twice, or just a bunch of dimes taped to a target?

I know absolutely nothing about POF...... BUT I find their website very cheesy.

When you drive out to the desert in Arizona and shoot up an old ranch with stucco walls to make it look like Iraq so you can stage photos and make everyone think the serious "operators" are using your equipment? I find that cheesy.

Last edited by GGG; 09-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Forum Member
    JUSTHOMP,

I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to nuttiness at some time or other. Not to worry, it's not a constant affliction!

OMEGA,

I actually appreciate the detailed information (I knew of Stoner, but not Fremont for one thing). However, I don't recall saying which design came first (Ar-10 or Ar-15). In fact, I didn't. Because I didn't know. What I DID say was that while a company like Noveske is very good at what they do, I don't personally know if they made just as good a product in a .308 variant. That, and Stoner's Ar-10 design purportedly had issues, some requiring serious work to get the rifle to function properly and consistently. Of course, some of them probably worked just fine. I don't know, as I haven't tested all of them (or even some of them, heh). That, and a company like DPMS doesn't inspire confidence in me with a .308 chambered product if they don't do what is considered the due dilligence on a 5.56 product. And unless I'm wrong, they were building the 5.56 product BEFORE trying the .308 one....but I could be wrong. Happens from time to time. And according to my wife, more often than I think.

But I'll know who to ask for more info on the Stoner design.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast