Forum Member

U Turn on Red Arrow?

Hi, I'm in Arizona, and the apartment I live in has a "Light Rail" that blocks turning left into the complex. The only way you can enter is if you are traveling eastbound. If you're westbound you have to go to the next light (2 blocks) and wait at the light and do a u-turn. Now there is not a "no-U Turn" sign and there is a LOT of room before the crosswalk that I could execute a u-turn without entering the intersection....would that be legal?

The only thing I can find about the Red Arrow is it forbids that direction, but since I'm not turning left....?

Thanks for your time!

Forum Member

I'm not an expert, but a u-turn starts as a left turn. And being from Ca. the laws may be different (which I doubt), but you can not negotiate a u-turn in a busness district (22102 cvc) unless you are in an intersection and apartments are business'. I would check your u-turn sections in the vehicle code book. I've had motorist argue in court that they did not make a left turn, that they made a u-turn. The courts have up held the citation.

Armed Babysitter

Based on your description, the red light is still controlling movement in that direction. It would be the same as running a red light.

Making a u-turn is just a continuous left turn, so the argument that "I didn't turn left - I made a u-turn" would not hold up.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    This is all I could find in the AZ Motor Vehicle Laws

28-644. Obedience to and required traffic control devices

A. Unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer and subject to the exemptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter, the driver of a vehicle shall:

1. Obey the instructions of an official traffic control device applicable to the driver that is placed in accordance with this chapter.

2. Not drive over or across or park in any part of a gore area. This paragraph does not apply to the driver of a vehicle that is disabled while on the paved or main traveled portion of a highway in a manner and to an extent that it is impossible to avoid stopping and temporarily leaving the disabled vehicle in that position. For the purposes of this paragraph, "gore area" means the area that is between a through roadway and an entrance ramp or exit ramp and that is defined by two wide solid white lines that guide traffic entering or exiting a roadway. Gore area does not include a safety zone.

B. Any provision of this chapter that requires signs shall not be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official sign is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. If a particular section of law does not state that signs are required, that section is effective even though no signs are erected or in place.
    In CA, you cannot make a "U" turn against any red traffic signal if you are stopped at the intersection. Also, you cannot make a "U" turn across a painted median which displays two sets of parallel solid double yellow lines that are separated by a minimum of 24 inches - that is the same as a "raised median" for the purposes of separating directions of travel.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Planes suck!
    In Florida, direction doesn't matter (right on red exempted). A red light prohibits you from entering an intersection.
    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

LEAZ
    I have to be honest, your question does not make alot of sense. But if you are asking if you can make a legal u-turn turn on a left red arrow, the answer is "no" you just disobeyed a traffic control device. If you are asking if you can make a u-turn from a left turn lane or a roadway that says no left turn, the answer is "no" you just disobeyed a traffic control device again. I think you know right from wrong and should use your best judgement or plan on taking a defensive driving class.

Sine Metu
    I think I understand your question and can shed some light on it. In Arizona, U-turns are generally legal if two conditions are met. First, it must be safe or reasonable and prudent, dont cross medians, stop or impede traffic, etc. Otherwise, unless SPECIFICALLY told not to by a traffic control device. The sign is clear in that U-turns at that particular intersection are illegal.

But if that sign was not there, and there room between a median and the intersection boundry to make a U-turn then it can be done on a red arrow because the light controls the intersection, and you have not entered the intersection. However, if the turn requires you to skirt or otherwise enter the intersection then you just ran a red light.

Hope that helps. Dont hit a train, my experience says they win everytime. Lugnut physics!
    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Planes suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCopper View Post
    In Florida, direction doesn't matter (right on red exempted). A red light prohibits you from entering an intersection.
    Y'all can stop posting now. My response was the definitive response.

Thanx
    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Forum Member

Wink thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AZtribesman View Post
    I think I understand your question and can shed some light on it. In Arizona, U-turns are generally legal if two conditions are met. First, it must be safe or reasonable and prudent, dont cross medians, stop or impede traffic, etc. Otherwise, unless SPECIFICALLY told not to by a traffic control device. The sign is clear in that U-turns at that particular intersection are illegal.

But if that sign was not there, and there room between a median and the intersection boundry to make a U-turn then it can be done on a red arrow because the light controls the intersection, and you have not entered the intersection. However, if the turn requires you to skirt or otherwise enter the intersection then you just ran a red light.

Hope that helps. Dont hit a train, my experience says they win everytime. Lugnut physics!

You hit it perfectly aztribesman!! I don't want to actually enter the intersection, but turn right before it!! Thank you very much! (I'm not sure I'll risk doing it since I'd have to prove I didn't enter it, and then its he said/she said....but it's nice to know just in case!)

Thanks!