Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21

    Police Officers Death & Disability Act

    Ladies and Gentlemen, Brothers and Sisters,
    My name is Jim Bragg and I am a retired/disabled Police Officer. Thanks to the Internet I have had the honor of speaking with many Police Officers who like myself were injuried in the line of duty and retired, without medical insurance! We can't get any because of our disabling injuries and our medical bills, as well as those of our family keep rising putting us deeper and deeper in debt. I discovered that I am not the only one, I am actually the norm! Because of this I wrote the following Act and I have been trying to get POB's, FOP's, and other officers to spread the word and try and get their Congressmen to introduce this Act into Law. Please take time to copy it and either mail or FAX it to all your Congressmen and associations and friends urging them to pass this law so that we may be protected. It is a bit too late to help me but what about you? What about the young Officer who has been on the force for a couple of years with a wife and a couple of kids who gets hurt? What will happen to him, or you? Think about it and please join in. If you have any questions please e-mail me at Jimbragg@bellsouth.net

    Jim


    “Police Officers Death and Disability Act”



    As Americans of the United States, we pride ourselves on the fact that we are a supportive nation; one that stands strong and fights for freedom in our country. When we hear this we immediately think of those in the military, rightly so. However, there is another group of men and women that face the same adversity and immediate danger everyday that go unnoticed. The police officers, the men and women in blue, that serve and protect us civilians 24/7. These individuals do their jobs just as honorably as those in the military, but yet, are not given the same respect or viewed on equal grounds as to those who are actively serving in either the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. Why? Some of these same individuals did serve their country and then chose a life style that is parallel to the military in many respects, but are not entitled to the same benefits should he/she become injured to the capacity of no longer being able to perform their job or worse killed in the line of duty. Who protects those that protect us? What happens to these individuals that are taken down in the prime of their lives and leave a family behind or have a whole new other lifestyle to adjust to? One of continuous physical pain, mental anguish, and the memory of what was at one time, what life used to be like prior to “that day.”


    It is out of respect and gratitude to those individuals that risked their lives and lost theirs while performing their job as they were trained, to serve and protect. Two little words, (serve, protect) that have such a powerful message and sometimes tragic consequence is the result. Who knew that those two words (serve, protect) came with just as much of a high price as freedom does?


    Therefore, a proposal supporting these men and women is being put into place, called the, “Police Officers Death and Disability Act.” This federally funded act would provide protection to those who did the protecting and can no longer actively serve in that role. Through this proposal would enable these police officers to have their medical bills paid for by the government and that their families’ medical expenses are covered as well. We, as a nation, do this for our Veterans, why not police officers who have provided the same service, but only right next to us, not overseas, not 3 states away or on a gulf coast somewhere, but as local/state police officers that patrol our street/city at night while we are sleeping and during the day when we are at work. These men and women are protecting us, where ever we may be and our neighborhoods while we are not there. In this line of duty, these men and women work 24/7 for us civilians, to protect us and our families. By having this act supported, this would be the greatest, “thank you” to give back to these police officers at the local and state levels and provide us civilians the opportunity to turn around and protect those that did the protecting.




    The following provisions will apply to the “Police Officers Death and Disability Act:”

    If a Law Enforcement Officer should become injured in the line of duty to the extent that they are no longer able to perform their duties as a Law Enforcement Officer and must retire due to disability, then the Officer shall be determined to fall under this act. Disabled/retired Officers will become eligible for 100% paid medical coverage at the date of retirement paid for by the Federal Government under this bill. The Officer, spouse and children 18 years of age and under, or those who are 21 years of age and under if they remain a full-time student will also be covered under this provision. Those covered under this Bill shall be issued a medical identification card at no cost and it will serve as an insurance card accepted by all licensed medical practitioners and facilities and all charges are to be paid by the United States Government. (This bill shall also include 100% costs of medical prescriptions; such as medication, equipment or any other means that are necessary to aid in the officers’ recovery due to the injury the officer has sustained.)


    If a Law Enforcement Officer should become disabled in the line of duty, this bill shall also provide the officer with a monthly pension supplement payment of $1,000 for the disabled officer until his/her death. If the officer should be killed in the Line of Duty then, his/her widow shall also receive said benefit for 1 year or until remarried.


    If the police officer should be killed in the LOD, the surviving spouse and children under the age of 18 or 21 if the child is in school will continue their medical coverage 100%. After 1 year, from said date, the medical coverage for the surviving spouse would terminate, however the children would remain covered fully 100% until the ages of 18 or 21, if the child is in school.


    Should the surviving spouse remarry before the 1 year said date, coverage for the spouse is terminated immediately upon remarrying. However, the children would maintain 100% medical coverage until the ages of 18 or 21 are reached if the child or children are still in school.

  2. #2
    Macho Man

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    10,672
    I'll talk to a congressman I know running for election here in South Florida. Surprisingly he actually listens and wants to make those changes, not like the regular politicians, I will do all that I can to help get this act passed.

  3. #3
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Good luck with the bill.

    Quote Originally Posted by robocop33 View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Brothers and Sisters,
    My name is Jim Bragg and I am a retired/disabled Police Officer. Thanks to the Internet I have had the honor of speaking with many Police Officers who like myself were injuried in the line of duty and retired, without medical insurance! We can't get any because of our disabling injuries and our medical bills, as well as those of our family keep rising putting us deeper and deeper in debt. I discovered that I am not the only one, I am actually the norm! Because of this I wrote the following Act and I have been trying to get POB's, FOP's, and other officers to spread the word and try and get their Congressmen to introduce this Act into Law. Please take time to copy it and either mail or FAX it to all your Congressmen and associations and friends urging them to pass this law so that we may be protected. It is a bit too late to help me but what about you? What about the young Officer who has been on the force for a couple of years with a wife and a couple of kids who gets hurt? What will happen to him, or you? Think about it and please join in. If you have any questions please e-mail me at Jimbragg@bellsouth.net

    Jim


    “Police Officers Death and Disability Act”



    As Americans of the United States, we pride ourselves on the fact that we are a supportive nation; one that stands strong and fights for freedom in our country. When we hear this we immediately think of those in the military, rightly so. However, there is another group of men and women that face the same adversity and immediate danger everyday that go unnoticed. The police officers, the men and women in blue, that serve and protect us civilians 24/7. These individuals do their jobs just as honorably as those in the military, but yet, are not given the same respect or viewed on equal grounds as to those who are actively serving in either the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. Why? Some of these same individuals did serve their country and then chose a life style that is parallel to the military in many respects, but are not entitled to the same benefits should he/she become injured to the capacity of no longer being able to perform their job or worse killed in the line of duty. Who protects those that protect us? What happens to these individuals that are taken down in the prime of their lives and leave a family behind or have a whole new other lifestyle to adjust to? One of continuous physical pain, mental anguish, and the memory of what was at one time, what life used to be like prior to “that day.”


    It is out of respect and gratitude to those individuals that risked their lives and lost theirs while performing their job as they were trained, to serve and protect. Two little words, (serve, protect) that have such a powerful message and sometimes tragic consequence is the result. Who knew that those two words (serve, protect) came with just as much of a high price as freedom does?


    Therefore, a proposal supporting these men and women is being put into place, called the, “Police Officers Death and Disability Act.” This federally funded act would provide protection to those who did the protecting and can no longer actively serve in that role. Through this proposal would enable these police officers to have their medical bills paid for by the government and that their families’ medical expenses are covered as well. We, as a nation, do this for our Veterans, why not police officers who have provided the same service, but only right next to us, not overseas, not 3 states away or on a gulf coast somewhere, but as local/state police officers that patrol our street/city at night while we are sleeping and during the day when we are at work. These men and women are protecting us, where ever we may be and our neighborhoods while we are not there. In this line of duty, these men and women work 24/7 for us civilians, to protect us and our families. By having this act supported, this would be the greatest, “thank you” to give back to these police officers at the local and state levels and provide us civilians the opportunity to turn around and protect those that did the protecting.




    The following provisions will apply to the “Police Officers Death and Disability Act:”

    If a Law Enforcement Officer should become injured in the line of duty to the extent that they are no longer able to perform their duties as a Law Enforcement Officer and must retire due to disability, then the Officer shall be determined to fall under this act. Disabled/retired Officers will become eligible for 100% paid medical coverage at the date of retirement paid for by the Federal Government under this bill. The Officer, spouse and children 18 years of age and under, or those who are 21 years of age and under if they remain a full-time student will also be covered under this provision. Those covered under this Bill shall be issued a medical identification card at no cost and it will serve as an insurance card accepted by all licensed medical practitioners and facilities and all charges are to be paid by the United States Government. (This bill shall also include 100% costs of medical prescriptions; such as medication, equipment or any other means that are necessary to aid in the officers’ recovery due to the injury the officer has sustained.)


    If a Law Enforcement Officer should become disabled in the line of duty, this bill shall also provide the officer with a monthly pension supplement payment of $1,000 for the disabled officer until his/her death. If the officer should be killed in the Line of Duty then, his/her widow shall also receive said benefit for 1 year or until remarried.


    If the police officer should be killed in the LOD, the surviving spouse and children under the age of 18 or 21 if the child is in school will continue their medical coverage 100%. After 1 year, from said date, the medical coverage for the surviving spouse would terminate, however the children would remain covered fully 100% until the ages of 18 or 21, if the child is in school.


    Should the surviving spouse remarry before the 1 year said date, coverage for the spouse is terminated immediately upon remarrying. However, the children would maintain 100% medical coverage until the ages of 18 or 21 are reached if the child or children are still in school.
    Last edited by Stormy; 11-02-2008 at 01:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Macho Man

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    10,672
    Stormy, what'd be great is you get VA assistance, for being Local/State/County police.

  5. #5
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    Stormy, what'd be great is you get VA assistance, for being Local/State/County police.
    No, I'm against VA benefits for local/county/state police employees. You first need to be militarized by the Federal government. Then, you'll fall under the Dept. of Veterans Affairs for the benefits afforded all military personnel.

    At whatever level of government you now work, you'll continue working at that job, but your boss will no longer be the city manager and/or police director, the county administrator, or the state governor, it'll be Washington, D.C.

  6. #6
    This Can't Be!
    1042 Trooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Posts
    10,407
    I too am 100% disabled (duty related) and was retired as such. I do get a 2/3rds pension but receive NO health insurance for that service.

    I will wholeheartedly support this, more or less, and will share the concept with the Wyoming delegation - all three strongly support us.

    Spead the word on this - everyone. Fortunately I was able to secure other employment but the insurance costs big time and I will be on my own once I retire for real - from ANY work.
    The All New
    2013
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

    (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)




  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cold White North
    Posts
    167
    1,000 a month? are you kidding...... I'm glad to see what we're worth. I guess thats why I pay alll of that money for all of that other insurance........ thats ok...... at times citizens get what they pay for!!!
    "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

  8. #8
    Macho Man

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    10,672
    Quote Originally Posted by mpls finest View Post
    1,000 a month? are you kidding...... I'm glad to see what we're worth. I guess thats why I pay alll of that money for all of that other insurance........ thats ok...... at times citizens get what they pay for!!!
    Hell, I'd pay more than that, in taxes even just to make sure that all of you retired police/military/firefighters are taken care of well for serving your community and or country.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Upland, Ca
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    I too am 100% disabled (duty related) and was retired as such. I do get a 2/3rds pension but receive NO health insurance for that service.

    I will wholeheartedly support this, more or less, and will share the concept with the Wyoming delegation - all three strongly support us.

    Spead the word on this - everyone. Fortunately I was able to secure other employment but the insurance costs big time and I will be on my own once I retire for real - from ANY work.
    Trooper, are you saying that after all the years you worked for WHP and retired on a medical, the state does not provide any health insurance to you or your family? Do you not even have health care for your injuries received.
    Retired LASD

  10. #10
    This Can't Be!
    1042 Trooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Posts
    10,407
    Nope. Nothing. Can you spell, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out?"
    The All New
    2013
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

    (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)




  11. #11
    Colonel Skool
    LAschoolCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    Nope. Nothing. Can you spell, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out?"
    Damn im sorry thats so F***** Up! You think they would atleast give to medical for your injury

  12. #12
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    :
    Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    Nope. Nothing. Can you spell, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LAschoolCop View Post
    Damn im sorry thats so F***** Up! You think they would atleast give to medical for your injury
    It's the saddest irony of all; a man gives of his life for a cause (military, police, etc.) and the payback for all his hardships, including ruined health, loss of limbs, loss of a mind, hardships on families suffering from all of the above, is a kick in the azz, and a push out the door. Yet, we've got plenty of money to rebuild Iraq, and the other countries we've converted to a democracy. Ain't that a shame.

  13. #13
    Macho Man

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    10,672
    Wow, Stormy, were seeing EYE TO EYE. And I'm not being sarcastic like usual.

  14. #14
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    The government needs to provide long-term medical benefits to all military, police, firefighters, and First Responders disabled in the line of duty. No excuse is accepted. America's first obligation are to these individuals. The Fed must stop spending billions upon billions of dollars to wage war in some foreign country, for the benefit of large oil conglomerates, while our own sick and disabled go uncared for.

    Watch this video. It may open up some eyes for those who blindly believe the Fed has done all it can to alleviate the pain and suffering of our fellow Americans who performed their duties, during 9/11, according to the needs of their country, suffered damaging injuries in the process, and are discarded like trash.

    And while you're at work, check your own department's plan on permanent & total disability, in the case of an unfortunate occurence in the line of duty.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XojE52Q38Bo

    ps. support the above bill by calling a representative monday
    Last edited by Stormy; 09-07-2008 at 01:37 AM.

  15. #15
    Resident Misanthrope
    Monkeybomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MCLMM
    Posts
    8,402
    There is already a death benefit from the Federal gov for a Line of duty death. But no medical. The last thing we need is to federalize all Law enforcement. Where i work is Not LA or New York. How they police would'nt fly here. Much as how we police wouldn't fly there. Completely different worlds. I would much rather have a nationally covered retirement and medical benefits mandated for all LEO's.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  16. #16
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    There is already a death benefit from the Federal gov for a Line of duty death. But no medical.
    That's right. No medical. And that's what I'm talking about.
    The last thing we need is to federalize all Law enforcement. Where i work is Not LA or New York. How they police would'nt fly here. Much as how we police wouldn't fly there. Completely different worlds.
    I'm not a LEO, nor do I pretend to be one. But in my opinion Law Enforcement is Law Enforcement, period, no matter how you 'police' or no matter how they 'police'. It's a matter of enforcing which codes applied to which jurisdictions.
    I would much rather have a nationally covered retirement and medical benefits mandated for all LEO's.
    So, you want one world when it comes to a national retirement and medical benefits package, but seperate world's when it comes to 'police' work? Am I interpreting your statement correctly? So, Mr. joe sixpack's tax dollars from one state, will pay for the medical injuries of a police officer from another state? Unless you militarize law enforcement, and place them under the Dept. of Defense, your plan won't fly. Speaking of flying.

  17. #17
    Resident Misanthrope
    Monkeybomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MCLMM
    Posts
    8,402
    Last I checked we pay for our own retirement with a matching amount from our agency. We pay for a large portion of our medical as well. If you were a business of 300 employees you may get a better rate than those with 25. Now if you have a large group say several hundred thousand you will get a much much better deal. simple economics. Nothing to do with a person from another state paying my benefits. Thats called socialism. Thats also why a national police force is a bad idea. The ideals and society from New Jersey are far different than Where i'm from. national police force would never work.........................its a bad idea from the start.....................
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  18. #18
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    Last I checked we pay for our own retirement with a matching amount from our agency. We pay for a large portion of our medical as well. If you were a business of 300 employees you may get a better rate than those with 25. Now if you have a large group say several hundred thousand you will get a much much better deal. simple economics. Nothing to do with a person from another state paying my benefits. Thats called socialism. Thats also why a national police force is a bad idea. The ideals and society from New Jersey are far different than Where i'm from. national police force would never work.........................its a bad idea from the start.....................
    Monkeybomb, listen to me.

    The fact you get medical insurance is a plus for your department. There are many, local, county, state that don't have a medical coverage for disability injuries in line of duty.

    What I'm suggesting is to militarize all police, place them under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of Defense, and you'd all qualify to be under the Department of Veterans Affairs for your medical coverage.

    What is this talk of 'ideals and society' from New Jersey so different from your's?? What's so different from law enforcement in New Jersey vs where you're from? I think you're holding on to small town politics, and don't want to lose that when your department comes under the jurisdiction of the Fed. That's what I think. Well, if you want a national medical disability insurance, it must come under the Fed.

  19. #19
    Resident Misanthrope
    Monkeybomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MCLMM
    Posts
    8,402
    No small town politics. I work for a large agency. I have worked on federal task forces. Trust me the mentality is not the same. What works as far as peoples expectations from Law Enforcement is vastly diffferent from Jersey to where I am. Lived there for a while. Not a bad place just different. If you were to switch the agencies in both states everyone would be unhappy.

    I would rather go without any insurance or disability than have an entirely federalized police falling under the DOD. Its socialism at its highest form. People in each community have a different expectation from law enforcement. You would lose whats good and unique about each agency. I would be willing to say there are very few officers that would want to have their agencies federalized. I would be willing to bet citizens would resist this at an even higher rate.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  20. #20
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    No small town politics. I work for a large agency. I have worked on federal task forces. Trust me the mentality is not the same.
    Please explain how different is the mentality. I'm sure many officers on this site would appreciate your experience related to working on a Fed Task Force, and what situations you encountered which keep you from joining a Federal Police Force.
    What works as far as peoples expectations from Law Enforcement is vastly diffferent from Jersey to where I am. Lived there for a while. Not a bad place just different. If you were to switch the agencies in both states everyone would be unhappy.
    Yes, please explain. Your experience is invaluable.


    I would rather go without any insurance or disability than have an entirely federalized police falling under the DOD. Its socialism at its highest form. People in each community have a different expectation from law enforcement. You would lose whats good and unique about each agency. I would be willing to say there are very few officers that would want to have their agencies federalized. I would be willing to bet citizens would resist this at an even higher rate.
    You're full of valuable information. Give it up. Tell us why you think nationalizing the police departments is 'socialism at it's highest form'? As for citizens resisting, I doubt it. They're glued to the TV watching American Idol. No time for politics, or what is happening in politics.

  21. #21
    Resident Misanthrope
    Monkeybomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MCLMM
    Posts
    8,402
    Stormy
    i guess your an expert with your working law enforcement on the east coast and west coast as well as years with the Federal system.
    Oh wait you don't have a dog in this fight..................

    So what it sounds like your telling me say is you don't really know that much about it other than on paper it sounds good? But you like it so you will argue your point into the ground?

    Apparenty you don't like my opinion.............. Its my opinion based on experience. I guess I got that going for me............
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  22. #22
    Inspector Jacques Clousea
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere within the French Surete
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    Stormy
    i guess your an expert with your working law enforcement on the east coast and west coast as well as years with the Federal system.
    Oh wait you don't have a dog in this fight..................

    So what it sounds like your telling me say is you don't really know that much about it other than on paper it sounds good? But you like it so you will argue your point into the ground?

    Apparenty you don't like my opinion.............. Its my opinion based on experience. I guess I got that going for me............
    You're absolutely correct. I don't have a dog in the fight. Since you do, please explain yourself. You speak of experience in the Fed Task Force, and how it differs from what everyone understands, but fail to describe that experience.

    Am I missing something? Oh well. OK, Monkeybomb, you win. You've called me out onto the mat because you're a cop and I'm not. . No mass. Nice chatting with you. Bye...Bye!

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    Stormy, what'd be great is you get VA assistance, for being Local/State/County police.
    Good God NO! We definitely DO NOT want to fall under the VA! Many reasons. One, there are not that many VA facilities around for all to be able to get to one. Secondly, you must PAY for services based on ability to pay. Most importantly the VA facilities are HORRIBLE! I know this because I am a vet as well and I have used the VA for some of my health care and the treatment is well below standard and when you go the the actual hospital, which is three hours away, you are treated like cattle and treated poorly. The VA is basically socialized medicine and something that you do not want to fall under. We need a simple ID card issued by the US Government that is accepted as an insurance payment IN FULL by the US Government at ANY local medical provider or facility, much like Medicare.
    I also definitely do not think the Police should fall under the US Military. That is actually unconstitutional as the Feds do not have that authority except when declared by the US Government. The Feds also do not understand how each community operates and one standard does not fit all communities so it is very impractical.
    Jim

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by mpls finest View Post
    1,000 a month? are you kidding...... I'm glad to see what we're worth. I guess thats why I pay alll of that money for all of that other insurance........ thats ok...... at times citizens get what they pay for!!!
    Brother, That $1,000 monthly is in addition to any other compensation that we might have and would be totally taxfree. That is $12,000 a yr and is very helpful. Quite frankly I fully expect that that part of the Act would be thrown out. Congress typically will not give you everything you ask for and instead of them cutting any of the medical benefits this is something that they can toss out, sort of like giving them a bone to chew on while the important medical care is approved.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21
    Stormyu, as you stated, you are not a cop and you do not know how they work. I HAVE been a cop, in both the military, on the West Coast, the South, and I am very good and close friends now with LEO's here in Florida where I now live. While the principals are the same in Law Enforcement, the tactics and methods are very different. No, a National Police Force is not just a bad idea from the training and enforcement and administration levels, read the Constitution and Bill of Rights and you will notice that the Federal Government is actually not allowed to do this and it is not allowed. Additionally we DO NOT want to fall under the VA, many of us already are vets. As for one state paying for the benefits of another, you already do in so many ways it is not possible to list them all. The ONLY thing the Feds should be involved in is the Medical aspects. The only reason it would have to be Federal is so that Officers who move to a different area are still covered. I retired under disability in South Carolina and now live in Florida. Does that mean I would have to live only in SC to receive benefits?
    For those who are shocked at 1042Trooper saying he does not have any medical, that is actually the norm. I was totally disabled and on the day of my retirement I have NO MEDICAL BENEFITS even for those injuries that I suffered in the line of duty from that point on. "I" and "I" alone am responsible for their payments under the terms of the Workman's Comp Settlement.
    Now before you get all excited about my workman's Comp settlement let me tell you about that! MAx at the time was $100,000. I had to SUE in order to get the settlement as they offered $40,000 or 40% disability. BY LAW my attorney HAS to receive 1/3. They do this so no attorney can try and take more, at least that is why they said they did it. Now Workman's Comp is actually the City or County that you work for and in my case was the city. They do not want to give you any more than they absolutely have to and unless you are a virtual vegetable they are not going to give you 100%. I managed to finally get 95% as I was totally disabled and that was stated by all the Dr's including those that they had examine me. Now the attorney gets his 1/3 out of that. From the rest which "I" am supposed to get, they are allowed, again by law, to take back all the money they have paid me while I was out of work, or 2/3's of my weekly salary that I was drawing every 2 weeks as a paycheck. That left me with a total of $34,000 that I was able to put in my pocket after over 1 yr of my accident. In addition they also have the clause in there that at the point of agreement to this settlement they are no longer responsible for any medical claims, either related or unrelated to the injuries I sustained in the line of duty. Sounds horrible and that I was screwed right? Damn right I was screwed big time but guess what? I actually came out better than other Officers I have talked to over the years. THAT is why we need this Act passed EXACTLY as it is written. A lot of thought when into this and even the wording and every damn word is there for a reason. Yes we left out firemen, EMT's and other first-responders. It was done on purpose as it would be much harder to get this passed. We can get them AFTER we get this passed and use it as a precedence. We don't have anything in there about gay officers partners as well as wives either because it would screw up the Act and cause more infighting. We can get that done later after the basic Act is passed. You would be surprised at the people that have responded wanting for certain changes to be added. They are not there for a reason, we want this bill to be very tight, specific, and simple as possible and get it passed. Then we can come back and get amendments placed on it to cover others. Small step, small steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register