Forum Member

I'm starting to hate my job

So after working very hard and being hired at what I thought was my dream dept. I am starting to hate my days at work. Everyone I work with talks about everyone else behind their back, the politics are UNREAL...they are always talking about "joe city councilman" doesn't like Lt. Smith so they are looking to fire him. Is every dept. like this or am I in a unique situation. I work in a city of about 20000 and the politics are becoming unbearable, so much that other officers from area depts. even ask me how I handle the crap. I have someone threaten me daily, "oh don't write your report like that or you'll be in big trouble". I was warned the other day that if you make a mistake in the payroll book...which is actually kind of confusing believe it or not, that you are written up. Knock on wood in my short time here I haven't been in any trouble, but I just can't stand all of what feels to me like childish behavior.

I always thought being a cop meant I would come to work, *most* of the people would share camaraderie, and we would actually be able to do police work together. I was warned the other day that I would be written up if I don't write 15 traffic tickets next month, I only wrote 7 this month and they want 15. You are also supposed to make 2 misd arrest/month....I made 8. You are supposed to get a felony arrest every 2 mos....I made 4 this month, I guess that counts for nothing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear00 View Post
    So after working very hard and being hired at what I thought was my dream dept. I am starting to hate my days at work. Everyone I work with talks about everyone else behind their back, the politics are UNREAL...they are always talking about "joe city councilman" doesn't like Lt. Smith so they are looking to fire him. Is every dept. like this or am I in a unique situation. I work in a city of about 20000 and the politics are becoming unbearable, so much that other officers from area depts. even ask me how I handle the crap. I have someone threaten me daily, "oh don't write your report like that or you'll be in big trouble". I was warned the other day that if you make a mistake in the payroll book...which is actually kind of confusing believe it or not, that you are written up. Knock on wood in my short time here I haven't been in any trouble, but I just can't stand all of what feels to me like childish behavior.

I always thought being a cop meant I would come to work, *most* of the people would share camaraderie, and we would actually be able to do police work together. I was warned the other day that I would be written up if I don't write 15 traffic tickets next month, I only wrote 7 this month and they want 15. You are also supposed to make 2 misd arrest/month....I made 8. You are supposed to get a felony arrest every 2 mos....I made 4 this month, I guess that counts for nothing?

Well unfortunately just because we're cops we're still people. Where I work we have about 40,000 citizens we serve and at work we have are little clicks. Gossip flows freely like it is a spinning circle and guys do get written up. Just go to work and do your job and you'll be fine. As for someone telling you how many traffic arrests to make that sounds like a quota to me. Now no one tells me how many tickets I need to write a month but I know the number that keeps them off my back. Bottom line if you don't like where you work then start looking, the most important thing in life is your happiness that is at least what I've found out over the years. This job is hard enough without all the other nonsense that goes on.

Forum Member

Some cops have the unnatural ability to act like children.

Forum Member
    I have been doing this job for 18 years. My first 4 was as a police officer in NC with a PD having about 160 officers. My current PD has about 100 officers. Now these are not huge departments but are bigger than the average PD. The first PD I worked at was a dream come true for my first two years, then we got a new Chief. Things spiraled down from there. He ruled by pitting one supervisor against the other and thrived on busting officers out of the ranks for the slightest mistake to make himself look good for the liberal press in the area. Once I started to figure it out I started throwing applications out and was about to be hired where I work now when I was involved in my 2nd officer involved shooting. The scum bag told the press I shot the 16 times, I fired 2 shots. Needless to say there was an outcry of why I shot this guy 16 times. The man was trying to use me to make himself look good. Well I was cleared by the SBI and moved on to my new department.
    The new PD I work at started out as a dream to, but here lately little cliques have have formed. I think the Chief is a little out of touch with the ranks since he is getting ready to retire and a few in the administration are trying to struggle for the upcoming power vacume. I have come to a conclusion that when a PD has problems it is due to lack of leadership in the administration for the most part.
    You can do one of two things. Ride it out and hope it will get better. PDs go in cycles from being an awesome place to work to the pits. I don't care what agency it is they all do. So you can suck it up and start preparing for promotion to Sergeant and try to make a difference that way. Doesn't always work though, but sometimes it does. I am a Patrol Sergeant and feel sometimes the advice of the Patrol Sergeants arent even listened to. Only way to make a difference in your PD is to strive for leadership postitions and do what is right and have a following of officers that respect you...it is infectious.
    Or you can pack up pull the pin and get out of the job or go to another PD. The grass isn't always greener on the otherside of the fence. If you do go to the other PD it may be of help when you get to a new PD. How, well you will have something to compare your new situation to. We have things wrong at my PD but compared to my old one, they are nothing.

Banned

Is your locker next to mine? I swear we work at the same poop-hole!

Forum Member

You could work for the Sheriff's office. Then joe city councilman can go sit on a stick.

But then I'm not as effected by politics... my dept has like 3000+ employees..the politics exist..but it's not an everyday thing.

Forum Member

I'm starting to hate my job

Welcome to the Police Department.

It only gets worse.

On the plus side you get paid every two weeks and lay-offs are almost unheard of.
    "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

In the hils

Don't worry it will go away.....and get progressively worse

First off, I believe "QUOTAS" are illegal.......

Anyway, after 14 years I have seen this attitude in my career as well. It goes in cycles, believe it or not. There are good times and bad times; I guess that is life.

I have seen a change as well where working on a police department should have mature adults, able to have a good time and stay out of the trouble that is crappy.....

I guess some officers' idea of fun is to swerve toward you when you are on a traffic stop walking back to the vehicle..... Hummm I am sure that is funny to someone, but a 3,000 pound vehicle swerving at me does not hit the funny bone. BTW the off duty guy thought it was all in fun....I explained in no uncertain terms that my fun was a little differnet than his; I like to be alive, and lead by example to the public...

The inter officer griping is always fun to listen to....I especially love watching certain officers get their knickers in a knot about certain councilmembers, political issues and the like that are way over their heads and that they have zero control of.

This is the beginning of my 15th year in law enforcement and I got cought up in some of the "b.s" in the departments I worked in. But I know have a born again feeling. I go in, catch bad guys, help old ladies across the streets ( I work in a rural small community) do my thing and let all of the crap flow in a circular motion and down the drain. I feel great about what I do. I do it well, thanks to many that taught me the ropes, and from my own mistakes. When I go hone, and I AM GOING HOME a tthe end of shift, I see my beautiful family; thus I try to leave the LEO stuff at the door(I do wait to change until I am inside )

Don't let it get you down!! I sometimes feel like getting out of the profession (at east once a shift sometimes.... ) but I look at it another way:

Who will do as good as I when I am gone and what else am I gonna do after 14 years of this fun !!!

Seriously, don't let the little stuff get you down...
    Last edited by chiefcop; 08-28-2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: sp

Forum Member

Internal politics has bitten me before. You really have to get over it, or make your own breaks...Perhaps by making a move. I doubt you'll find a place where that doesn't exist though.
    Last edited by CUFFS137; 08-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefcop View Post
    First off, I believe "QUOTAS" are illegal.....
    Perhaps, but if you don't meet their "performance objectives," I bet you can expect to have a less than favorable evaulation!

Forum Member

Wow, thanks for the responses...overwhelming support..that's why I stay where I am, the small group of super tight friends. I guess you are right when you say it goes in cycles, good and bad.

Forum Member

I experienced this once in a city only slightly larger than your's with 54 sworn officers. It got real "sucky." Life is full of creeps. The best thing you can do is avoid them as much as possible. Sure, you better back them up, but you don't have to pull your car up and talk to them or hang out at the station or after work. I stayed out of sight as much as I could and learned to trust only two people of the 54 I worked with. The turnover rate there was tremendous and an officer with three years experience in the patrol division was considered veteran. Wow. Three years. Granted, it was a fast paced city, and a new officer could gain a significant amount of experience. By Arkansas' standards that town is moderately big. However, they were very cliquish and would treat anyone not accepted in the clique almost badly as they treated the crackheads they dealt with on the street. Promotions and specialty assingments depended on butt kissing. I left there, and found THE premier agency for me here in my home state. I love it, and I got it because I networked while I was in the academy and kept contact with the friends I made there. Anyway, backed when I worked for the city people would ask, "So how are you liking it?" I could only reply, "I like what I do, but I don't like the department."

Forum Member
    Working in the New York City Police Department has the same problems as smaller departments, heck 35,000 now if I've found my self in a precinct with crap head officers or bosses,I'd transfer to another other house, my best try patients and plenty of applications, it still the greatest show on earth!
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Forum Member

Pretty much the same story everywhere with different actors. Like it was said before these things go in cycles. When I came onto my department we were one of the premier departments in the metro area. All of the academy instructors talked it up and there retention is and was great. Fast forward 5 years and things are different. The city council hates us, there is a prevailing feeling of no support from our superiors, lack of confidence in command desicions, and a low department moralle. I realize all it will take is the right few guys steping up to the plate, a few retirements and most of the problems would fade away, for a time. Like it was said above what else are you gonna do, I drive a fast car, carry a gun, taser, multiple knives, and big metal stick, have trustworthy back up in a pinch (even if I don't like they guy on a personal level), and get paid to do what I love, with zero lay offs and one firing (well deserved) in five years.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    Some cops have the unnatural ability to act like children.
    tell me about it and then they get promoted to Sgt!!!
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.