Forum Member

Front License Plate Requirement in Texas

I did a search, I swear I did!

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I Stumbled Upon your website and I think being able to Ask A Cop a question on this forum is simply terrific. Because they tend to get a little tense if you chase them down in person.

I read a thread here about front license plates between states but my particular question wasn't on there, so I wanted to see if someone could be so kind as to enlighten me.

In Texas a front license plate is required by law yes? What about the cars that don't come with front plates? The one I'm sure of is the Corvette which doesn't even have a mounting bracket for a front plate. I think there are probably more but I can't think of the models. Is everyone who drives a Corvette in Texas violating the law? And do they get a ticket for not having a front plate every time they are stopped?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMe View Post
    I did a search, I swear I did!

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I Stumbled Upon your website and I think being able to Ask A Cop a question on this forum is simply terrific. Because they tend to get a little tense if you chase them down in person.

I read a thread here about front license plates between states but my particular question wasn't on there, so I wanted to see if someone could be so kind as to enlighten me.

In Texas a front license plate is required by law yes? What about the cars that don't come with front plates? The one I'm sure of is the Corvette which doesn't even have a mounting bracket for a front plate. I think there are probably more but I can't think of the models. Is everyone who drives a Corvette in Texas violating the law? And do they get a ticket for not having a front plate every time they are stopped?

Thanks in advance.
    To the best of my knowledge, Texas is a two plate state. Corvette's, and other high performance vehicles don't get a pass. Almost any dealer can and will provide a mounting bracket for front plates. Installing the bracket,and properly displaying the plate as required, ends up being far cheaper in the long run, than not doing so.

Give me all you got!
    Per the GM Online Order Guide
    2009 Corvette

VK3 License plate bracket, front
    1 - Will be forced on orders with ship-to states that require a front license plate.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=4&butID=3
    Last edited by AvalancheZ71; 08-11-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Forum Member

All cars in Texas are required to have both front and rear plates. I drive a cobra which doesnt have any monting point for a front plate however ford makes a mounting bracket for states that require both plates.

Forum Member
    I lived in Florida which is a one plate state, hey easy place the plate in front and drill two or four holes then mount!
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Transportation Code § 502.404
    § 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
    (1) assigned by the department for the period; or
    (2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.
    (c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:
    (1) assigned by the department for the period; or
    (2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
    (d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
    (e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
    (f) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a) if the defendant:
    (1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
    (2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
    (g) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (b) if the defendant:
    (1) shows that:
    (A) the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle was issued a registration insignia by the department that establishes that the vehicle was registered for the period during which the offense was committed; and
    (B) the registration insignia described in Paragraph (A) was attached to the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle before the defendant's first court appearance; and
    (2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by:
    Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1027, § 1, eff. September 1, 2007.
    And yes, they get a ticket from me every time, because every time they spout off about 'ruining their car' or 'I'm not paying extra for a bracket.

I had a Ford Escape that I bought from a used car dealer. The car was originally from Florida, and had no front license plate bracket. $24 at the local Ford dealer got me a license plate bracket on the spot.

As you can see, you can put a front plate on your Vette:
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    And yes, they get a ticket from me every time, because every time they spout off about 'ruining their car' or 'I'm not paying extra for a bracket.

I had a Ford Escape that I bought from a used car dealer. The car was originally from Florida, and had no front license plate bracket. $24 at the local Ford dealer got me a license plate bracket on the spot.

As you can see, you can put a front plate on your Vette:
    Brother what did I say in my last post, the dealer went to the front of my new car and drilled two holes in the front bumper for my retired cop plate. (Florida)
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph8119 View Post
    Brother what did I say in my last post, the dealer went to the front of my new car and drilled two holes in the front bumper for my retired cop plate. (Florida)
    I wasn't questioning you, I was more commenting on the people who complain about buying the bracket, when it's quite an easy transaction.

And I've seen a great deal of the sports cars that have the front plate bracket, but they put the cover over it... such as this:

Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Give me all you got!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    I wasn't questioning you, I was more commenting on the people who complain about buying the bracket, when it's quite an easy transaction.

And I've seen a great deal of the sports cars that have the front plate bracket, but they put the cover over it... such as this:

That is standard with the exception of two plate states. The dealer is automaticaly shipped the front license plate bracket if it is a two plate state.
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Forum Member

Please everyone, don't think me rude for not acknowledging your answers until now, this is my first chance to read the thread.

Thanks to all for not only your answers (now I know) but also for taking your time and responding to me. I appreciate it!

Dang it, I sent this before I was finished. Doh!

I asked the question because I was pulled over while driving DHs truck for no front license plate. The officer couldn't have been nicer and only issued a warning to me. When I told DH he brought up the, *no place for a front license plate* on some sports cars, namely the Corvette. That got me to wondering about it so I went to experts. I'll show him this thread tonight.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TexasMe; 08-13-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: wasn't finished with post

Forum Member

In Texas is it legal for you to put the front license plate on your dashboard against the windshield? I see this a lot with cars that dont have the front plate brackets.

Forum Member

two plates = front and rear bumper.... No exceptions and nothing may cover the plate, so on the front dash behind the windshield means you get a ticket.

Forum Member

I have a 57 Chevy pickup that has no provision on the bumber and drilling is NOT an option as it scores very well in the shows with the unaldulterated chrome. Knowing that the code says two plates (and although silent on actual location - precedential law plainly clarifies this to be bumper) I have inquired with a few local officers and get a 50/50 split that because of the age of the vehicle (I do not have antique plates so that I may drive it whenever I want) I am exempt - just as I am with the turn signals and seat belts. I KNOW better - the plate is not an equipment issue - its a requirement regardless of age! However my question that I would like clarified is on the enforcement of MANNER of mounting. I made two balsa wood blocks shaped and fitted to the bumber using pull cables and wingnut to hold it and the plate securely - at the show its just one wingnut under the truck and off it comes for the clean original look - and related points - again 50/50 on whether or not thats legally mounted. My local guys and I have no problems - we know each other and work well together - I even let one of them show my truck in police association functions when I can not be there personally - my concern is down the road could I encounter a different opinion? When tight it does NOT move and one would not even know it's removeable until closer inspection. What are your thoughts on this? (oh and I do have seatbelts and turnsignals (also removeable to go back to "original") installed - worth the expense to have my family and truck safe)