Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: why does everyone hate the police so much?

  1. #1
    Capo

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Posts
    186

    why does everyone hate the police so much?

    Seriously?

    Everyone seems paranoid like police are there to harm them, or that police are all corrupt. I never understood that. I have never had any problems with police at all, and the vast majority of police I've met have been very nice, kind, and professional.

    Where did society go so wrong to hate police so much?

    Is it music, with songs like "1-8-7 on an undacova cop", and "**** da police"?

    Is it TV? Do all people think that NYPD Blue is real?


    Is it speeding tickets? Did police departments suddenly start giving out a lot more speeding tickets, and people hate that?


    Why is there so much hate for police, even from good citizens who don't commit crimes and have nothing to worry about?

  2. #2
    "Calves of Justice"
    SmallCityCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Armpit of Northern MD
    Posts
    2,860
    Generally, I think, people do not like Authority figures telling them what they can and can not do against their constitutional rights. And most of the younger generations learn from the older ones how to hate the police. People see cops as the guy who wont cut you a break because you were going 95 cuz you had to pee, because they would rather hassle the working man than keep drugs off the street. What they forget is, Traffic Enforcement is ALSO part of the job!!! They bitch when you harass them and bitch when you don't show up fast enough. What the hell do people want?!!!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

    I Am the Sheepdog.


    "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks



  3. #3
    Forum Member
    CruiserClass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    5,167
    Read "Stoning The Keepers At The Gate" for a very well written book on this subject.

    Remember that not everyone hates us. Lots of people are completely indifferent and we have a couple of fans. Try rolling through areas you don't get many calls for service and you might see people waving with all of their fingers.

  4. #4
    yes, it really is me...
    LeanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    where it's warm in the winter...
    Posts
    3,311
    Are you saying that we're a country of over 300 million, and everyone hates cops? Whoa....I've got problems.

    A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

    It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

  5. #5
    LE Cheetah
    nuthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,196
    It's the "Me First" attitude that is so prevalent in society today. People think rules and laws don't apply to them and can't stand people (cops, bosses, etc.) that correct that misconception.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

  6. #6
    In the Woods

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    707
    Adults can't stand being told what to do and practice rationalizing why they shouldn't be scolded / written up / etc.
    Hmmm. Did I just describe the citizen to cop situation or a cop to supervisor relationship?

  7. #7
    Supervisor?
    Landric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    802
    In my experience, most people do not hate the police. Young people tend not to respect authority, but age and experience tend to get most people over that. Criminals don't like the police for obvious reasons.

    I think sometimes it seems that way because police haters are vocal about it.
    -Landric

    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    In my experience, most people do not hate the police. Young people tend not to respect authority, but age and experience tend to get most people over that. Criminals don't like the police for obvious reasons.

    I think sometimes it seems that way because police haters are vocal about it.
    I agree..

  9. #9
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    In my experience, most people do not hate the police. Young people tend not to respect authority, but age and experience tend to get most people over that. Criminals don't like the police for obvious reasons.

    I think sometimes it seems that way because police haters are vocal about it.
    Like the above, I also agree.

  10. #10
    Stay Aware 24-7
    JRODF4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    685
    They don't hate the POLICE when some is creeping in their house about 3AM high on meth and they are hiding in their closet calling 911 for the PO PO to save their lives.

    For those haters out there it dont matter to US if you hate us or not we still are going to do our jobs so when there is a hater in need of help WE will be there to save YOUR LIFE. Dial 9-1-1
    Train Hard!!! Fight Smart

  11. #11
    DENIED!
    NYCTNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,053
    Not many like cops, but all love firemen... because cops;

    Gives out summonses.

    Arrests you, and your loved ones.

    Tell you what to do(as per scope of employment).

  12. #12
    jakflak
    jakflak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northern Alaska
    Posts
    3,958
    Most people don't hate cops, it's just that we deal almost exclusively with the fraction of a percent of the population who does.

    Sometimes it's hard to remember that the average person on the street isn't a stoned loser with a revoked license on felony probation with a warrant and a half dozen kids scattered through the foster system.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    ArkansasFan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,287

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,736
    Thats funny because I am not aware of many "people hating the police". Matter of fact, In the part of the country where I work as a police officer, I have found almost the exact opposite. When we have a hiring process we have tons of applicants. When we have police sponsored fund raisers we collect lots of cash for whatever the cause. Three times in the past year a group of us were on duty eating at a local cafe. Someone unknown to us picked up the tab for the entire table. The last time our table had twenty people sitting at it!! We never found out who they were-just the people that was sitting over there paid your tab. It makes me very uncomfortable but not hardly someone who "hates the police". Once I was on the roadside fighting with a highly intoxicated driver. I was getting tired. The next thing I knew the interstate looked like a truck stop with semis and cars parked everywhere. I didn't even have to handcuff the guy as a truck driver from Kansas took care of that for me!

    Perhaps you live in a part of the country where the police are not liked. I doubt it though. The people who don't like the police are the people who fear the police!! Reason? Because they have something to hide, because they are criminals. We deal with them daily. I like people like that-it keeps me in a job! With plenty of overtime! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS!! Someday you WILL need them.
    Boxbeat19 likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Fuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,163
    I think a lot of people like to vent/rant about the police because it is much easier than actually admitting you did something wrong and being responsible.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    KapsFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by gadphto89 View Post
    Seriously?

    Everyone seems paranoid like police are there to harm them, or that police are all corrupt. I never understood that. I have never had any problems with police at all, and the vast majority of police I've met have been very nice, kind, and professional.

    Where did society go so wrong to hate police so much?

    Is it music, with songs like "1-8-7 on an undacova cop", and "**** da police"?

    Is it TV? Do all people think that NYPD Blue is real?


    Is it speeding tickets? Did police departments suddenly start giving out a lot more speeding tickets, and people hate that?


    Why is there so much hate for police, even from good citizens who don't commit crimes and have nothing to worry about?
    Can you say "troll"? GTF outta here. Stop trying to provoke crap.

    There are people who support the police and those that don't. Yes, there's room for critic of all police action and sometimes it's valid. But please remember this. Whenever something REALLY bad happens to you. Who do you call?

    Let's see. Mom? No. She's in Florida. Doctor? No, he's on the golf course. How about my shrink? No...he/she's on vacation.

    Guess what pal? You, and everyone else when they're in a bind (or even a fender bender), is going to "call the cops" and expect them to straighten everything out in five minutes what it took years to F up. Do they always perform perfectly? Probably not. Does your mechanic?

    Want to be loved? Join the Fire Department. Call them when "S" goes down hill.

    Just venting.

    And that's the news.....August 2, 2008. I'm Walter Cronkite. Good Night.
    Last edited by KapsFB; 08-02-2008 at 10:28 PM.

    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

  17. #17
    Capo

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Posts
    186
    I don't know, I'm quite the opposite, I have never met anyone aside from my own family that likes the police. Of any age. And yes, I live in the "good part of town".

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    34
    A couple of bad apples spoil the bunch.
    Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Bushranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,039
    I disagree, not everyone hates Police. I've found that the minority of people hate Police and they regularly break laws, don't conform to society's expectations of normal behaviour and they have crim histories. As a result of their experiences with Police they develop paranoia that Police are out to "get them". They are the 5% of the population that we spend 95% of our time with.

    I've also found that as a rule, the general public believe that we have a hard job to do and that they appreciate our efforts. The general public are mainly law abiding and they are the 95% of the population that that traffic cops spend 95% of their time dealing with. When issuing a traffic ticket, who hasn't heard a driver ask "Why aren't you out there catching the real criminals?" and the list goes on.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Nightshift va's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    2,802
    Not all hate us. Many who do ironically are the first one's to call us for some reason. It has to do with a few issue's. Parents not teaching kids when they are young that there are consequences for bad decisions and taking responsibility for things they do create a society or generation of people who do not like it when authority figures put their foot down because it takes away their ability to have fun or doing as they please at other peoples expense, and they confuse this with a "right" or something similar to qwashing their "freedoms", which it is not. The other groups who dislike the police are liberals who look at the police as Nazi type enities not realizing the police are not machines serving a crazed dictator but rather a group of people like them there to uphold the laws of the land that they themselves put into place by democracy. People just don't get that sometimes when we do our jobs it requires us to put a person into a cage and at times said persons' just dont want to go. And they view this fact with unrealistic skeptical untrained and unknowing ideology. Then there exist a gap.
    Last edited by Nightshift va; 08-03-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    BPD_126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,083
    Cop haters raising cop haters. That was an easy question!

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Ralph8119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Happily in Colombia South America
    Posts
    1,133
    I never gave a ton of dog crap if civilians disliked me because I wear the uniform as long as they followed the rule of the law we stayed friends!!!
    Last edited by Ralph8119; 08-05-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!

    http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

    A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

    Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

    Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    InfiniteTeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    I think a lot of people like to vent/rant about the police because it is much easier than actually admitting you did something wrong and being responsible.
    Word...
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    Only 4 to go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    14
    I do believe that some of the rap songs that talk negative about cops get some of the younger population to feel we're the one they need to worry about. But why are the rap singers doing this? Because most of them are nothing but thugs and have a history of being arrested, but of course they did nothing wrong, it must have been the police. Then when dealing with the rest of the population, as others posted, people don't like to be told what to do or not do. What I find is very interesting is that when someone receives a summons for speeding, they complain about "what about everyone else" or " I should be doing something more constructive than radaring" or as some say "entrapping" them. What they all seem to forget is that there is a good chance that the reason I'm in a particular location radaring is because it was the "public" that complained about all the speeders in the area. Go figure.

  25. #25
    "Retired"
    pulicords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by gadphto89 View Post
    Why is there so much hate for police, even from good citizens who don't commit crimes and have nothing to worry about?
    Most people are followers. If they see something often enough described as "fact", they believe it even if their own personal experience proves otherwise. Each time someone posts on the internet "everyone hates the police", that many more people (including cops) are led to believe it's true.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register