Forum Member

Good questions to ask the panel during an interview

Towards the end of the interview, the interviewer will often ask the applicant if the applicant has any questions of the interviewer. This has been the case in the few (three) police interviews that I have attended.

I am a firm believer that in ANY interview, the questions that YOU (the applicant) ask the interviewer can really solidify yourself as being one of the best candidates.

So, what are some really good questions to ask? In the past, I have asked things like, "What would you suggest to someone to improve their chances in gaining employment with your department?" "What do you like, and what do you not like, about your job?"

Honestly, I don't think that I have that "knock-out" question to ask my interviewers yet..... can anyone give any suggestions? I'm sure it would go a long way to many applicants seeking a position in law enforcement.

Many thanks to any responses!

Supervisor?
    I like to ask "What do you think is the most challanging aspect of policing [your jurisdiction]?". I have gotten some interesting answers to that question over the years, and the interviewers have seemed to like it. I've gotten most of the jobs I've applied for (and made it to the interview), though I don't know if that question had anything to do with it.

At any rate, it is a very good idea to have a question or two to ask that don't have anything to do with how to get the job, but do have something to do with policing.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Midwest Nittany Lion
    There are many threads which discuss this.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...view+questions

Use the search feature.... it'll return a bunch. Also, check out Guams' "Applicant's guide to getting hired"
    1*

Forum Member

I have searched these forums, and the internet in general, and I seem to find more of the "what not to ask" than the "what to ask". I'm just trying to get some info on how to be "the one" that sticks out to the interviewers (in a positive way!).

My work is done here
    Where do you get free coffee and doughnuts is a good one
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Forum Member
    So here is what I did... as passed down to me by one of my instructors... super secret stuff so share as you see fit.

In some cases, the last "ask us questions" part isnt even scored... But nevertheless...

BE PREPARED.

I know you are probably testing for a bazillion different towns... and guess what... the bazillion different towns know you are too. The key is to make it look like you REALLY want to be employed by their specific town. SO...

1. Drive around the town and get a good feel for the people, retail, parks and such. Go to the chamber of commerce or information center and get a map, detailed information on the town and ask a few questions about population, tax base ect.

2. Go to the towns website and get the police departments MISSION STATEMENT. Make sure you understand it because you will need to remember that for the next point I am going to make. Check out the police departments size, their available specialties and different programs they have. Get to know who you are dealing with. If you have a chance for a ride along before the interview, ask the officer questions... if he/she is happy, their pay, the people they work with ect.

3. Sit down at home and disect that mission statement... so boring I know. BUT when it comes for that dreaded "anything you want to ask of us?" question...

Heres where you hit em... "I read your mission statement and it says... (for example) that you are a community driven town... what kind of programs do you have in place that serve the community and how does the community respond?" or "I was driving around town and was noticing how large the community is... how do you have the beats divided?" Or something equally as educated sounding.

You may (or may not) really care about the answer... but who else is going to ask an informed question like that? What other applicant takes the time to do something as so simple as read the mission statement? no one. YOU STAND OUT among a bunch of others who are going to say... uhhhh... no. thank you.

And relax when you go on the interview. Before you go in (as dorky as it may seem) go to the bathroom, look at yourself in your spiffy suit in the mirror and say "I OWN this interview". Take your time and think... its all you.

Hope it helps... got me #1 slot on a few towns.
    "You are charging me with a third DUI? What are they going to do to me? Send me to jail and take away my cocktail fruit?"

Remember: a coffin is much hotter than your vest!

Forum Member
    I'd almost go one step further than that. Although I agree with the strategy drewes lays out, I'd suggest asking more meaningful questions. For example, almost any PD out there nowadays has all their community outreach programs, etc. outlined on the internet. Simply asking what programs you have in an interview shows you didn't search very much while doing your "homework". Read up on EVERYTHING, and focus in on one or two programs that really interest you. Find out everything you can about those, and it shouldn't be hard to come up with a couple good, sincere questions.

When I applied at my latest PD, I knew everything there was to know from its website. I talked to recruiters and officers, signed up for google alerts when that PD was mentioned (good way to stay up to date on their happenings), etc. I remember going to the testing dates and hearing all the stupid questions from applicants that were easily found on the internet. I don't think they impressed anyone by asking about the departments size, vehicles, etc. when all that info is free and easy to obtain on the internet or through a phone call to a recruiter. The more info you can get yourself without anyone knowing you asked the questions, the better it is for you. Don't ask a recruiter or the interview panel anything a lay person couldn't find the answer to themselves! Just my 2 cents.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    Where do you get free coffee and doughnuts is a good one
    Well, yeah, that...

but don't forget that a memorable question will help you stand out from all the other applicants. May I suggest:

"Is that your real hair / teeth / boobs?"
    "Sir, do I recognize you from Rib Night at Naked Nymphos?"
    "Am I getting paid for this interview?"
    "Can I get my take-home car now? My mom had to drive me here."

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by rtarbell View Post
    Towards the end of the interview, the interviewer will often ask the applicant if the applicant has any questions of the interviewer. This has been the case in the few (three) police interviews that I have attended.

I am a firm believer that in ANY interview, the questions that YOU (the applicant) ask the interviewer can really solidify yourself as being one of the best candidates.

So, what are some really good questions to ask? In the past, I have asked things like, "What would you suggest to someone to improve their chances in gaining employment with your department?" "What do you like, and what do you not like, about your job?"

Honestly, I don't think that I have that "knock-out" question to ask my interviewers yet..... can anyone give any suggestions? I'm sure it would go a long way to many applicants seeking a position in law enforcement.

Many thanks to any responses!
    So, you think that the questions the INTERVIEWEE asks sets them apart from the rest of the candidates...........................

So you come on here to ask us what those questions should be.......................

Isn't that like asking your friend to do your homework so you get a better grade?

I would ask how soon before I am eligible to interview for Sgt.
    (yes I was asked that in an interview once)
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Real question.......is this a good department to work for?

Band-aid jockey
    Sir, can we do your wife tonight?

Forum Member

How about...if I'm hired, what are the chances that I will be fired before the end of my probation?

I'm always amused by those that come on here and ask what they can do to stand apart from other applicants. The point of the process is to find out about YOU not us as we have already been hired. I usually believe that those that ask that question must be falling short and want someone else to do the work for them.

No thank you, I worked my azz off to get hired when very few candidates were getting hired.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    So, you think that the questions the INTERVIEWEE asks sets them apart from the rest of the candidates...........................

So you come on here to ask us what those questions should be.......................

Isn't that like asking your friend to do your homework so you get a better grade?

I would ask how soon before I am eligible to interview for Sgt.
    (yes I was asked that in an interview once)
    How did that go over?

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by RottieLVR View Post
    How did that go over?
    Not real well.......................lets just say he didn't' have to worry about a promotion
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.