Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Forum Member

Woman files suit over McDonald's drive-through access

Published Wednesday July 16, 2008
    Woman files suit over McDonald's drive-through access
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A hearing-impaired woman says in a federal lawsuit that she deserves a break today.

Karen Tumeh of Lincoln says in the lawsuit that a local McDonald's refused to let her order food at the drive-through window, insisting that she either order at the electronic speaker in the drive-through lane or go inside to order.

Tumeh says in the lawsuit that she wears a hearing aid but still cannot hear while using the drive-through ordering box at fast-food restaurants.

She says that at least three times since September 2007, workers at a Lincoln McDonald's refused to let her place her order at the drive-through window.

Tumeh's lawsuit says that in denying her service at the drive-through, McDonald's violated the federal Americans With Disabilities Act.

The 1990 law is perhaps best-known for requiring wheelchair ramps in buildings.

Tumeh's attorney said Tumeh is physically capable of walking inside to order — but that's not the point.

"She has children who are autistic, and if they're having difficulties, it would make it problematic for her," Shirley Ann Mora James said Tuesday. "It's not appropriate for a hearing-impaired person to be forced to go inside because of their disability, when . . . other drive-through, fast-food restaurants have a policy to allow deaf and hard-of-hearing people to order at the drive-through window."

Mora James said other McDonald's restaurants in Lincoln have accommodated Tumeh in their drive-throughs.

A message left Tuesday with McDonald's corporate headquarters seeking comment was not immediately returned.

Tumeh's lawsuit seeks to force McDonald's to make accommodations for hearing-impaired people to order food in restaurant drive-throughs. She is also seeking unspecified damages and attorney's fees.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Obviously, she did not see the sign:

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

Tumeh's attorney said Tumeh is physically capable of walking inside to order — but that's not the point.

Oh, but that is the point. If she can go inside and order then McD's has made their restaurant accessible to her. Not all facets of life are available to handicapped persons. And she's really not handicapped just hard of hearing. Sounds like an ambulance chaser smelled blood in the water...

Forum Member
    If this woman is not able to hear the loudspeaker that is 2 feet in front of her, how in the world will she be able to hear a siren from an ambulance, firetruck, police cruiser from behind?

Hanging around
    wait until the blind person sues because they cant use the drive through.
    Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Forum Member
    It seems like other restaurants with drive-thrus have no problem accommodating her and her autistic children give her a very valid reason for not going inside. My take is that a stubborn and foolish employee has bitten off way more than can be chewed.

Forum Member
    She may have a point. I don't need a hearing aid but most drive-up speakers sound like "Taht's a Big Mac wothuit taomto, a lrage fires and a Deit Ckoe, a bcoan crhseeuegebr, slmal feirs, and a cefofe wtih carem. "

Jolly Green Giant
    This is freaking ridiculous! If anyone here has every worked in food service or expecially Mcdonalds, you are timed on your drive through service. That timer in the window starts when the money is taken, but this process starts when your order is placed over the speaker. This allowes about two-four minutes for the employees to get your order fixed and another min. after you pay to get your order. If you allow one person to disrupt this process then not only does it kill your timing for that customer, but for everyone in the drive threw at the same time. That makes for complaining customers, that could give a crap less if she can hear or not. She, and the rest of the customers can be better served if, she walks inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    "It's not appropriate for a hearing-impaired person to be forced to go inside because of their disability, when . . . other drive-through, fast-food restaurants have a policy to allow deaf and hard-of-hearing people to order at the drive-through window."
    So freakin' patronize THOSE restaurants! Let McD's know why you don't go there very often every time you deign to go inside, and let them know how much business they lose by not accomodating you. Then, let it go and get on with your life. Stop crying and expecting the entire world to serve your every whim.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Still praying...
    Can deaf people get a drivers license?...Stupid lawsuit...
    C:\Users\RAL\Pictures\cruise ships on port.jpg

Snidely Facetious
    McDonald's provides menus that are in Braille for blind people. I don't see what is so hard that the lady can't pull up, say she is hard of hearing, pull forward, take the order, pay, then pull up to the next window. It shouldn't mess up time in anyway. She still has to say her order, pull up, and pay. The only time that is being wasted is advising she is hard of hearing. Sounds like both parties are making a big deal out of something so small.

My point. If McDonalds can provide menus for the blind, why can't they have someone pull up and talk to the person at the window b.c they are HOH?
    Your mom...

Forum Member
    That is like my suing McDonalds by Mayo Clinic for closing their store other than the drive through. And me walking up to order and them denying me service because I was not in a vehicle.

Molon Labe
    My question is how did she get a DL in the first place IF she really is that hearing impaired....

And if she doesnt like the service at McDs, then she is free to take her money elsewhere......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    She may have a point. I don't need a hearing aid but most drive-up speakers sound like "Taht's a Big Mac wothuit taomto, a lrage fires and a Deit Ckoe, a bcoan crhseeuegebr, slmal feirs, and a cefofe wtih carem. "
    It's not the speaker that your having problems with on this one. It's the ghetto people working it and thats just how they talk is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    My question is how did she get a DL in the first place IF she really is that hearing impaired....
    Does your state require a hearing impaired test for drivers. I am pretty sure my state doesn't.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. CO View Post

Does your state require a hearing impaired test for drivers. I am pretty sure my state doesn't.
    They do.....my post was somewhat of a rhetorical question......

IF (and I mean IF) she really has that level of impairment, then she has no business being on the road in the first place......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    We need to put an end to these frivolous lawsuits!

Hanging around
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    Life is, in fact a bitch.
    Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Hanging around
    Quote Originally Posted by Southflaguy View Post
    Can deaf people get a drivers license?...Stupid lawsuit...
    She isnt actually deaf.

She just needs money, and McDonnalds has a lot of money.
    Last edited by mpdc; 07-17-2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: One Linner

JMTX
    Oh, but that is the point. If she can go inside and order then McD's has made their restaurant accessible to her. ...
    What if she wants to go through the drive-thru during hours the hours that the dining room is closed? Most drive-thrus are open later than the dining room.

What's the big freaking deal about just letting her pull up to the window? That's not at all unreasonable.

Hanging around
    Quote Originally Posted by JMTX View Post
    What if she wants to go through the drive-thru during hours the hours that the dining room is closed? Most drive-thrus are open later than the dining room.

What's the big freaking deal about just letting her pull up to the window? That's not at all unreasonable.
    Life is in fact a BITCH.

Red&Blue coming through
    Just another old bag looking for some extra pocket change from a big corp. Lady because you got your gosh damn ear blow out in nam, doesnt enable you to sue because you couldnt walk your skimpy little butt inside to order your stupid big mac with a large fry. For god sakes this is almost as bad as the person whom tried to sue mcdonalds because she got fat. FOR PETE sakes mcdonalds will make you fat and chances are one of there employees will do something stupid like
    A. Spill hot coffee on you
    B. Spit in your burger
    C. Spill ice cream on you
    D. Give you incorrect change

I vote that these stupid lawsuites get thrown out.

Jolly Green Giant
    If you want service at a fast food resturant all you have to do is remember this WWRFD. What would Rod Farva Do?

"I want a G*$#DA$#m liter of cola" "Does that look like spit to you? ah f*$&K it"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Red&Blue coming through
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj8550 View Post
    If you want service at a fast food resturant all you have to do is remember this WWRFD. What would Rod Farva Do?

"I want a G*$#DA$#m liter of cola" "Does that look like spit to you? ah f*$&K it"
    ahahahah WWRFD
    good quotes.
    I was watching that movie a couple weeks ago. Good stuff. Member when they pull over that gay guy and that girl in the porsche and afterwards ram goes hey why dont you go sit on uncle rabits lap...Then rabit goes "I dont think thats such a good idea cap". ahahah

BTW for our signature we should put this:
    WWRFD "Think before you act"

People would get curious if a bunch of us started to have that

Opionated
    The local McDonalds has a sign in the drive thru that advises to pull to the window if you are hearing impaired. Simple I think. I fully sympathize with having an autistic child, but luckily our issues are not bad at all. Sometimes getting into and out of a store with (2) children in tow is cumbersome, but when I feel this will not work, I choose to refrain from those establishments.

Bottom line, lawsuit is completely outta line. Complain to the owner, if independently operated and hopefully the problem will be resolved. Maybe even get a few happy meals for free.

Give me all you got!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_HKS View Post
    ahahahah WWRFD
    good quotes.
    I was watching that movie a couple weeks ago. Good stuff. Member when they pull over that gay guy and that girl in the porsche and afterwards ram goes hey why dont you go sit on uncle rabits lap...Then rabit goes "I dont think thats such a good idea cap". ahahah

BTW for our signature we should put this:
    WWRFD "Think before you act"

People would get curious if a bunch of us started to have that
    I don't think he was gay, he was German, different culture.
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last