Forum Member

Mentally Handicapped & Alcohol

Are there any restraints to whether or not a mentally handicapped person that has down syndrome or similar disease from buying alcohol? Obviously the said person is not capable of drinking responsibly, but they are at least 21 years of age.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Unless he's been judged incompetant there's nothing restricting the purchase. Now If that was the case, chances are he's not going to be out onhis own so it really isn't an issue. Practically speaking, it'd be the clerk's responsibility to decide what to do, just like any other purchase. If he did sell liquor to such a person I imagine there'd be a good argument for the seller to be liable to some degree which, I imagine, the Liquor Licensing/Control Board would revoke the store's license so there's really no reason such a transaction to take place --- too risky for everyone..........

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Wow, never thought of that one before. There was once a woman comedian, I think, named Jeri Jewell. Her act was reflected in her tee-shirt which read, "Honest Officer, I'm not drunk, I have M.S." She got a lot of laughs with the "drunk vs. M.S. perception."

I know of no CA law which restricted the purchase of alcoholic beverages by such persons. Chances are, in our letigeous society, if someone was refused service, due to their physical/mental challenge, they'd sue the store/chain who refused to sell to them.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Chances are, in our letigeous society, if someone was refused service, due to their physical/mental challenge, they'd sue the store/chain who refused to sell to them.
    That's what I was thinking, it's such a touchy subject, and it would be difficult to sell it to them without worrying about the consequences.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bubbless View Post
    That's what I was thinking, it's such a touchy subject, and it would be difficult to sell it to them without worrying about the consequences.
    Wow...now here's an untapped market for alcohol maker's to go after. I can see the tag lines now.... After a long day of pushing grocery carts, its time to crack open a can of High Brow beer. So go ahead and kill off those last few brain cells that kept you brushing your teeth, because you don't need them anyway.......Mr. Grocery Cart Pusher....