Law Abiding Citizen

Post Open Carry and Concealed Carry in Alabama

According to numerous websites, court cases and the Alabama Attorney General, Alabama is considered an OPEN CARRY state. Why do people continue to get flack from LEO? I've also contacted my local SO (Autauga) and they stated it was illegal to carry opening in Alabama.

I do have an AL Pistol Permit; allowing concealed carry.

I am looking for insite from any AL LEO.

Thanks.

http://opencarry.com/al.html
    http://alabamagunrights.org/?page_id=8
    http://alabamagunrights.org/wp-conte...008/02/awl.pdf
    http://alabamagunrights.org/wp-conte...o-1984-205.pdf
    http://carryconcealed.net/legal/alab...state-laws.php
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Member

So where do you live in Autauga county??? just being nosey i live here too but in pine level. it is an open carry state but alot of your leos just don't know. have pitty on them and be polite and do everything they ask you once its all over with contact their supervisor.

Law Abiding Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by coopesc2000 View Post
    So where do you live in Autauga county??? just being nosey i live here too but in pine level. it is an open carry state but alot of your leos just don't know. have pitty on them and be polite and do everything they ask you once its all over with contact their supervisor.
    I live in Prattville (almost moved to Pine Level), but seemed too far of a travel to Maxwell. I always play on the safe side; usually never carry unless going to the range. If I do decide to carry (conealed or open), I'll probably just have those references in hand. I was raised good - always be polite to LE. (Kinda had too: my uncle was a CHP - haha).

Thanks for the info coopesc2000. Maybe if I join the AL Trooper Reserves I'll be riding w/ you.

Law Abiding Citizen
    Reply from Prattville Police Chief:

"The cowboy carry is not against the law. Pistol permits allow the weapon to be carried concealed. The way society is today and the shootings in malls, schools, and on the streets, law abiding citizens will call the police when guns are seen and the Prattville Police will respond. Most certainly their will be questions but if there is no violation of “any” law, no arrest should be made. If one is made, innocent or quilt will be determined by the courts."

Forum Member

what the chief sounds about right. now a days if you see a gun you call the cops.

Forum Member
    Alabama law also requires a concealed carry license for anyone other than LE to carry a handgun inside a vehicle. It also requires people who carry a handgun on premises other than their own to receive permission from the owner/manager of the property. Most will NOT give permission and will call the police as the Prattville chief said. When one carries a concealed handgun and doesn't have any tell-tale printing of it from poor clothing choices no one is the wiser, therefore no one calls the police. A great many people carry handguns inside their vehicles with and without having first obtained a license to do so. If they're not committing any other crime (besides say speeding, or some other minor traffic offense) I will advise them that they need to obtain one and that other officers may arrest them if they don't have one with them and confiscate their handgun if they are caught carrying their handgun inside their vehicle. I know some officers working with me who'll arrest the individual under the same set of circumstances. In short, buy a license and carry concealed whether you're inside a vehicles or not and, as long as you're not violating any other law you have no worries.

Playboy Chief of Security
    My take on it is if you are a law abiding citizen and interested in protecting yourself, your family, or whomever you feel the need to protect, why not carry concealed? Why do you feel the need to carry open? Is it just because you can?
    Like has been stated, in this day and age, if you open carry without a law enforcement badge or ID on your hip next to your firearm, you are going to get a hard look and alot of scrutiny from just about everyone, including me. Rest assured you will get stopped, likely at gunpoint, by some LEO's who don't want to take a chance when conducting a field interview with you on why you have a weapon displayed on your hip. I don't know you from Adam, and you might be a great and law abiding person, but I am not about to approach you with a weapon displayed without taking every precaution I can take. I feel safe to say most, if not all cops will agree with me on that.
    The ONLY time I carry open is while I am on duty and that is because I am a Detective and have to. When I am off duty, the last thing I want to do is wear a firearm open on my hip and draw unwanted attention. Plus, your chances of surprising a bad guy in the event you need to draw your weapon are much greater if you carry concealed.
    Trust me on this, it may be legal for you to do so, but carrying open and not being a LEO is going to be MUCH greater trouble than you will want to deal with.
    Last edited by DubyaB; 07-14-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."