Forum Member

Going through an EZ Pass w/o having an EZ Pass

I was driving down to NYC, and was about to get onto the GW Bridge and I got caught in an EZ Pass lane. I don't have an EZpass, so I didnt pay going over the bridge.

Right after I went through it, I pulled over onto the median but realized it was unsafe to do anything but keep driving.

Will they just take a picture of my plates and send me a bill? Or will I get a fine, or a ticket even?

Thanks for your help.

Troll Patrol
    I did that once before, but I have an EZ-Pass account, they just added it onto my existing bill. I'd imagine they'll send you a bill.
    Bearcat? More like BANNEDcat, amirite?

Forum Member

They'll send you a bill and a pic of yourself

Forum Member

The Port Authority of NY & NJ owns the GWB... so I'm not sure what type of procedure they have set up with Ez-Pass. What I do know, is that they do have camras on the lanes. They have a picture of your license plate, so they will probably just send a bill to whoever the car is registered to. I would just wait for something in the mail.. thats about all that you can do at this point.

hxd
    Regrouping

It happens all the time.

You'll get a letter in the mail describing your infraction, along with a picture of you and your car. There will be a bill for the toll plus an administrative fee (fine) of between $25 and $100. (I don't remember what it is anymore) Pay it when you get it and life goes on.

Sometimes you'll get it within a few days. Sometimes it takes a few weeks.

Forum Member

you get a picture of your plate and a bill for the toll 8 bucks and have to pay an adminstration charge of 25 bucks as well.

Forum Member

I am fairly certain there is no ticket involved.

Pekkier
    The camera usually takes a picture of your license plate if it doesn’t read your EZ-Pass when you go through a lane. After that the computer automatically matches your plate to an EZ-Pass account and bills it. If your plate isn’t on file they’ll just send you a bill plus admin fee attached to the bill. Usually if it's your first offense, you can get away with admin fee’s.

Forum Member
    I am pretty sure if this is your first time you get a free pass.

Forum Member

Upstate a friend of mine did the same thing and got a letter and it was something like this:

toll charge.50
    fine. 50.00

It also had the date and time of the offense and where to send the balance and the date to have it send in by.
    Choose a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Cherub of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8739JR View Post
    Will they just take a picture of my plates and send me a bill? Or will I get a fine, or a ticket even?

Thanks for your help.
    Hmmmm, maybe it's just a strange coincidence.....

.....but a warrant for this heinous crime just landed on my desk.

Could it be?....naw, too strange. It couldn't be for you.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Forum Member

well look at it this way. If anyone in your family has an EZPASS registered with the same address that the violating vehicle has. Just add a plate to your's or there EZPASS account. U don't need a new tag. And just print out a copy of registered vehicles list with plate numbers etc etc with the violation u recieved in the mail and that's it. They will just charge that EZPASS account you provide for them. You kinda get what i'm saying?

Broken BTO
    you got stuck in the ez pass lane so you were SOOL there are usually some type of fine/service charge when it comes to ez pass lane violations. as an aside if you are just short on cash get into a cash lane and most places will just take your driver's license info and give you an insufficient funds slip, service charge is usually only a few dollars as opposed to whatever astronomical fine ezpass may levy. i'ld rather wait 5 minutes for the slip to be made up then blow though an ezpass lane.
    "From now on, all your opinions will be ignored!"

Forum Member

If they send you a picture of your plate, send them a picture of the cash.
    I Heard of a guy doing that then they sent him a picture of hand cuffs..lol

10-96

and he sent a picture of the mexican border.

Forum Member

that happened to me but nothing happened..... no ticket, no fine or anything in the mail and it happened to me about two months ago

Forum Member
    ive done it once too.. you do it once you get a free pass. dont worry about it

Forum Member

ez pass

Quote Originally Posted by darkhelmet View Post
    ive done it once too.. you do it once you get a free pass. dont worry about it
    Free pass, NO SUCH Thing, maybe the camera was out of film.

I have an e-z pass, and did not have my tag registered, as previous posters stated they sent me a toll bill + $25. fine,, i was able to add my license plate to the ez pass account and just pay the toll..

On this subject, I recommend EVERYONE get an e-z pass, saves time and gas at tolls, valid Maine to VA, and does not cost you a dime unless you use it, they waive the $25.oo fee if you use a credit card.

I've had it for years, and just now had to replace the unit cause the battery finally went dead last year.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2971511 View Post

I have an e-z pass, and did not have my tag registered, as previous posters stated they sent me a toll bill + $25. fine,, i was able to add my license plate to the ez pass account and just pay the toll..

On this subject, I recommend EVERYONE get an e-z pass, saves time and gas at tolls, valid Maine to VA, and does not cost you a dime unless you use it, they waive the $25.oo fee if you use a credit card.

I've had it for years, and just now had to replace the unit cause the battery finally went dead last year.
    You are telling me I have to use my ezpass for my car only? Ive loaned it to lots of people who ddirve a variety of vehicles and I have never been sent any letters or anything.

Forum Member

e-z pass

Quote Originally Posted by darkhelmet View Post
    You are telling me I have to use my ezpass for my car only? Ive loaned it to lots of people who ddirve a variety of vehicles and I have never been sent any letters or anything.
    Sorry,, I had my e-z pass on my car, but the tag went DEAD, and did not register, and I had not registered my new tags....

No you can loan it .. I recently rented a car and registered the tag for only the weekend i was using the rental, returned the car monday, took the tag off e-z pass.

Problem with loading tags is if it does not scan that person will get a ticket, unless you register the plate.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 2971511 View Post

shhhh don't say that I like the e-z pass lane being empty all the time haha.

hai guise
    I did the same thing once on the NJTPKE. I was on my way to a car show with a bunch of friends and was following them because I didn't really know where I was going. After we were already in the EZPass lane, I realized I didn't have EZ pass. I couldn't back up because that would be 2 points on my license.

I went thru and when we exited the turnpike, I went to the cash/ezpass lane and explained to the agent what happened. He made me pay the "lost ticket" toll which was about $5 and told me to keep the receipt incase I get a fine in the mail.

That was about 2 years ago and I did not receive any kind of ticket to this day.

Forum Member

Lane lines;

It is amazing the amount of people that don't have the system, but good for us as long as they don't clog the approaches.
    Coming back from USNA at the Bay Bridge tolls the approach can be backed up for a couple of miles on US 50 and when you get to tolls it is ALL non-EZ people making a payment with a toll collector.
    For people here that don't have one, it is very easy, easier still with a credit card and a computer, and with a cc automatically refills your account based on usage.