Forum Member

Guns and probation officers

I apologize if this has already been answered, but do all probation officers i.e. local, state, and federal carry firearms? Also, what is the rule about them carrying off duty? Thank you for your response.

Supervisor?
    Depends entirely on the state and/or district they work. Some POs are considered law enforcement officers, some are not, and some are in between somewhere (like those in NC).

http://www.appa-net.org/resources/su...onal_Firearms/
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Forum Member
    In California, not all PO's carry...depends on the county. Most counties have at least a percentage of their officers carrying. As for off-duty, all sworn DPO's can carry without a CWP, and the law says the Chief cannot prohibit them from doing so.
    He who feels punctured must once have been a bubble. --Lao Tzu

Senior Veteran
    In VT, probation and parole officers do not carry firearms. The commissioner of corrections has the option of allowing them to attend the part-time academy to get certified, but he will not.
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member

Thanks for the website. It was of great help!!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSExplorer22 View Post
    I apologize if this has already been answered, but do all probation officers i.e. local, state, and federal carry firearms? Also, what is the rule about them carrying off duty? Thank you for your response.
    PPO's here are certified officers, but they're limited in what they can do. I believe I read in the code that they may not carry their issued weapons off-duty. However, they can carry a personal one. I don't have a clue as to why. Probation and parole is a state agency here. It's not a county by county type of thing like it is in some states.

Forum Member

In Pennsylvania, a State parole Agent has the option of carrying a Board issued weapon if they choose. It is not mandatory. The ones that do choose to carry must be certified annually to maintain qualification. As far as the County Adult and juvenile Probation Offices, it depends on the County Chief Probation Officer. Some do some don't.

Opionated
    Parole is LEO in NJ, so they carry. Probation is not LEO, therefore no dice.

Forum Member

Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. We're armed on and off duty...full peace officer status with powers of arrest over anyone (probationer, parolee, or not). You couldn't pay me enough to do what we do unarmed. We work with the worst of the worst, 100% of the time. Every "call" we go on means tossing for dope and arresting in the crappiest neighborhoods...the crappiest homes (a.k.a. trailers)...on the terms of the dirtbags. As any LEO knows, making entry into the home of a violent felon with the intent to hook and send to prison is a huge risk...it's their home, they're protective and they know where stuff is (weapons).

Thank God I work for a Chief that takes an aggressive, law enforcement approach to Probation work. We partner with our SO and Local PD bros every day...probation searches, warrant sweeps, and weekend patrol...Deputy/Police Officer and Probation Officer in a unit. Works great. It's a no brainer partnership!

Its Count Time- Lock In!!
    NYS/NYC Probation Officers are Peace Officers with on/off duty powers of arrest and are issued dept weapons and can carry their own personal approved off-duty weapon on their sheild and ID by law if they choose. Requalify once a year with dept firearms. They execute re-arrest warrant for violations and perform surprise home visits in muderville, NY (home of the coffin) need i say more
    Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 06-05-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
    FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    In La, they carry,heck they go to a longer accademy in some cases than patrol LEOs(whew,almost said "real" ,instead of patrol)
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kman1981 View Post
    you sound like placer county....
    Ahhh, good guess. Very close. I'm a few counties south...in the rural Sierra Nevada Foothills. Methville (like all of our Sierra Foothill counties). Yeah, Placer is very aggressive and law enforcement oriented. So is Sac, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, etc. Amazingly, there a still some county Probation Departments in California that don't arm and train their P.O.s appropriately. Some Chiefs still have the "hug a thug" mentality. Very scary considering what we do and who we deal with.

Is it Lunch time yet?
    Here in Georgia we are Peace Officers and issued state weapons and carry on and off duty, its maditory to carry on duty, and we have powers of arrest as well here. We requalify every year, and can carry anywhere in the state on our creds. I dont know exactly about Parole but I beleive its the same way.
    Last edited by Macquaid; 06-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.