God Bless Texas

What If? - The officer doesn't turn the ticket in on time?

Got asked this question the other day about a jurisdiction up the coast from us. She got a speeding ticket on May 1, the ticket said she had until June 1 to contact the court and enter her plea. As of now, the ticket hasn't shown up yet. I work in a small town, and we just walk our tickets to the Muni. Court Clerk, but what would happen if that officer didn't have the ticket turned in to the court by June 1. I scoured the Texas CCP and Traffic Code and couldn't find an answer
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member

The ticket not showing up isn't necessarily the officers fault. For us, we turn our tickets in at the end of the shift (the next day is acceptable, and at the end of the weekends since records is closed until Monday morning). After that, it's up to records to make sure they get to the right place. That's just for us though, different places do different things.

If the ticket never shows up, then she got lucky and she never has to pay the fine. Just tell her to make sure she gets in writing somehow on May 31 that the ticket still isn't in the system.

Forum Member
    Here I have heard of troopers and other officer not turning in tickets up until the morning of court. If I were her I would contact the court clerk and see what they say. Maybe the officer wrote another day on the citation and it just didn't go through to the hard copy. If they say nothing has shown up I would tell her show up for the court date and time. If the officer doesn't show check with the court clerk and go from there.

Normally that date set on the citation only means it has to be paid by then and if it's not then the license is suspended and a warrant is issued. That date on the citation usually doesn't mean court will be that day. It basically a means so that if the recipient of the citation wants to plead not guilty they can, or for the most part an arraignment. Then a trail date will be set with the real court date.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Forum Member

Ca, an officer has up to one year from issue date to file the traffic ticket. Most tickets have a 6-8 week court dates. On our cite it indicates "on or before" date indicated. The constitution says "right to a speedy trial", but it does take 21 days or so to get the cite processed into the court system. Some violators, who are more responsible, will ask me for more time to take care of the violation. I have no problems putting the court date out 10 weeks.
    At the least I would show up to court on your court date and if it's still not in the system get, what we call, a "proof of appearance" from the court.
    I would't hold your breath on the cite not being filed....

Forum Member

In Delaware, most traffic violations are misdemeanor crimes, which have a two year statue of limitations

That said, hard tickets get turned in at end of shift or end of the weekend to records. Records takes the copies we need and sends the rest to court. How long the court takes to process it is another story.

Now, with eletronic ticketing, it goes right from the MDT to the court. A citation written today could show up as "pending" on a charge summary tomorrow.
    -Mike
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Forum Member

In my state (Washington) we have the one year grace period for criminal tickets. If a hard copy is written, no matter if it is criminal or an infraction we have either 2 or 3 days to get them to the court, each county has their own time frame, the larger counties say 3 days smaller ones say 2. We used to indicate a court date on the ticket but do to the backlog at the court we now simply write "notify","under investigation", "15 days", or "tba" in the court date box and the court simply sends a summons as to when the person can or must appear in court, so its basically on their scheduling needs now.

Forum Member

In PA we have 5 days to file a citation. After that then it is void.
    In God we trust all others we run through NCIC

Corporal
    In my jurisdiction we have a year and a day to cite the driver. 366 days to get the cite turned in. Our dept requires us to turn the cite in prior to the end of our tour of duty though.