Thread: Cop Bar

Forum Member

Cop Bar

The movie Cop Land was on the tube about a week ago and it got me to thinking about something. In that movie they had a "cop bar". Is there such a thing as a "cop bar" and if not, could that idea work? You could have a pub for police, fire, and paramedics. Of course it also might be hard to make a go of it if civilians didn't come in. There is nothing like that in Georgia that I am aware of.This is probably a crazy idea but I wanted to get some thought on it.

Forum Member
    While I've never seen the movie, I kinda know what you're talking about. Here in St. Louis, there are a few bars that are owned by retired cops, cop's family, etc. Now bear in mind that in south St. Louis there is (or was at one time) a bar litteraly at almost every street corner. A lot of cops that I know usually go to a club type bar in a pack of 6 or more so that in the event that the poo-poo hits the fan, they know they have a friendly corner to go to somewhere.

Go Army!
    Our union used to own a bar, it was 24/7, and open to the public. (Called the De-Briefing Room) I don't recall anyone other than cops being in their, well the single females used to hand out there. It was nuts at times, if that pool table in the back room could talk...

The union has moved locations (there offices used to be upstairs from the bar) and the bar closed..

Waingro...where is he?
    i hear years ago about an exclusive cop only bar that was going to open up near Kennesaw where cops would buy a membership. it obviously never got off the ground b/c here it is 5 years later and no cop bar.
    Perseverate In Pugna

We have one that I regularly attend, it's a public bar but it's where most of us can go and not have to worry about Joe Scumbag coming in. Though yah alot of badge bunnies are in there, it's easy to ignore them and continue with BSin with other fellow LEOs from different departments.

Operator
    I know of a few places in the DC/NVA area that are open to the public....but a whole buttload of LEOs (local/state/federal) hang out there.......

There were a couple of places in KC that were like that....and they would open in the morning after Dog Watch was over....to let the troops hang out and socialize......

Half Way to AARP
    I know of one in my current area that gives discounts to law enforcement, fire, and EMS personnel. Just gotta flash your tin to the bartender and they'll start discounting almost everything for you.

Senior Veteran
    I was at a bar in DC, near Union Station that appeared to cater a lot to cops (patches all over the wall, etc.) For some reason I can't remember the name....
    "My give a damn's busted"

Molon Labe
    There USED to be one over on Sunset, near Dodger Stadium, called the 'Short Stop'.......place had a LOT of history......including a couple of idjits that BECAME part of history after they attempted to do a take over robbery of the place......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    There USED to be one over on Sunset, near Dodger Stadium, called the 'Short Stop'.......place had a LOT of history......including a couple of idjits that BECAME part of history after they attempted to do a take over robbery of the place......

Between the Short Stop, payday Wednesdays at the Academy bar, and East LA off training parties, there were many stories to which I won't yet admit to.

Forum Member
    There's one in St. Paul that I plan on hitting up after this coming saturday. It's not exclusevly for cops, but lots of cops go there, so people call it a "cop bar". From what I've heard, whether you're a cop or not, it's a really fun place, so I'm plannin on checking it out after I'm legal.

L-1
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    Is there still a bar at the LAPD academy? Back when I was much younger (and a lot more handsome) all the badge bunnies used to hang out there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye48 View Post
    The movie Cop Land was on the tube about a week ago and it got me to thinking about something. In that movie they had a "cop bar". Is there such a thing as a "cop bar" and if not, could that idea work? You could have a pub for police, fire, and paramedics. Of course it also might be hard to make a go of it if civilians didn't come in. There is nothing like that in Georgia that I am aware of.This is probably a crazy idea but I wanted to get some thought on it.
    There is a cop bar in Georgia, outside the gates of FLETC, called "Pam's". It's 98% local LEO's, feds, and retired LEO personnel.

Peacemaker

No longer available.
    Last edited by Matthew5:9; 01-28-2011 at 01:58 AM.
    -M5:9

Forum Member
    There are a number of such "cop" bars in NYC and the surrounding area. Of course these bars do not give any LEO discounts as that would be highly unethical and potentially ruinous to the moral fiber of the attending LEOs. And so called "badge bunnies" are strongly discouraged from visiting to preserve the cops' family lives.

master of nothing
    Pams in Brunswick GA, i was there while down in FLETC

Forum Member
    There are 2 about 15 minutes where I live. 3 Officers own it.
    Like a previous poster stated, It keeps the rift raft out, and a slew of Badge Bunnies to look at. The only place I feel a little relaxed when out with the misses. Most of the guys that go in are friends, or we play against them in Softball. Nice Irish Bar, and the Draft Beer is Awesome. The Lines are right near the bar!

hmm talked myself in to going over there tonight.

Forum Member

Alary's | Saint Paul, MN
    www.alarys.com

By the looks of the staff at Alary's it looks like I need to take a trip to Saint Paul.

An Obvious problem
    "The Station" in SGV area
    Today's Quote:

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

Ronald Reagan

Sheepdog
    Ahhh...Pam's #1....How's Bob doing these days? He's a good cat.

There are "cop bars" all over the place up here. Well, actually, "cop bar" and "Irish pub" mean the same thing really.....

I have a "cop bar" in my garage too......

***EDIT*** small world....as I"m typing this, one of my best friends just called me to say 'hey'...He's an instructor at FLETC...he's sitting on a stool at none other then Pam's #1.....How funny is that....
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

In the Woods

Before I was in LE I was in the coin-op machine biz in and around Long Beach, Ca. I had several cop bars on my route. Some of them were scary and really hard on equipment. You can imagine what might happen to a machine in one of those places if it took someone's money and didn't work.

Sheepdog
    I'm guessing there were some extra holes in some of them.....
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

B³ ♡'s Baseball
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    There are a number of such "cop" bars in NYC and the surrounding area. Of course these bars do not give any LEO discounts as that would be highly unethical and potentially ruinous to the moral fiber of the attending LEOs. And so called "badge bunnies" are strongly discouraged from visiting to preserve the cops' family lives.
    That is good.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited