Forum Member

How many miles over the speed limit do you let someone go?

How many miles above the speed limit do you usually let people go over before you pull them?

Supervisor?
    That is entirely dependant on the type of area, road conditions, traffic, and how badly I want to stop the car. I have no set limit, other than to say if you are going over the speed limit I can choose to stop you if I would like. I doubt you will get an answer any more specific than that.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

An Obvious problem
    It all depends on road conditions, traffic, surrounding area. Very general guidelines are between 10-15 mph but it is variable. In California we have a basic speed law we can enforce where the posted limit may not come into play. I've cited a guy for going 40 mph on a street that was posted 45 mph, but at the time the fog was so thick you could only see about 10'.

From the CA Vehicle Code:

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
    greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather,
    visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the
    highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of
    persons or property
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    As a rule. I allow fifteen while on regular patrol on highway. Ten in subdivisions and only 13 when specifically running radar as a seperate overtime gig with the sole purpose of writting tickets.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    Unless the weather is bad, I usually give everyone ten miles over.

Waingro...where is he?
    We can't even cite someone here unless they're going 11 or higher over the limit. I usually give 15-20. There are excepeptions to that 11 mph + rule. Certain areas it doesn't apply (residential, historic areas, construction, etc.) and if you are pacing the car you can cite for anything. The 11+ rule is for LIDAR and RADAR.

GSP is exempt from this rule and can shoot beams/radar and cite for anything they want. They're also exempt from the required visibilty rules.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    Visibility rules Narco??

My rules are this, I give 9 over the limit, stop and USUALLY a written warning for 10-14 mph over, and anything 15 and over 99.9% of the time gets a citation.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake R View Post
    How many miles above the speed limit do you usually let people go over before you pull them?
    0...so go the speed limit

All joking aside it will depend on what I am doing, where I am working and the conditions.

Waingro...where is he?
    Visibility rules, if I'm not mistaken (haven't written one in a long time), are:

*must be visible for 500 feet
    *can not be within 300 feet of a speed limit sign (where the speed is reduced) so that driver have time to slow down to the legal speed.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Positive Thinker

I give them 15 over up to a 45 mph speed limit which allows them to go 59mph before I cite. On roads that are 50mph or more, I give them 20 over which allows them to go at 70. More the 70 in a 50 gets a cite. That would be criminal speed.

Tmg
    Forum Member

10MPH in residentials, 15MPH on roads, and 20MPH on highways and warnings all around. Ive let people going 90MPH in a 60 off with a warning.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member
    12-13 over. Rainy or snowy I'd go a little less. Our admins "strongly suggest" we don't pull anyone over for under 10+.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    If I stop them, they are a candidate for a ticket. MOST of them are also a candidate for a warning. I don't have a hard-and-fast rule about how much over to stop at. I guess everyone falls into one of these categories:

1. Is getting a ticket before I even get out of the car.
    2. Earns their ticket during initial contact.
    3. Earns their ticket by virtue of dispatch's return, "Numerous entries, no 10-29."
    4. Earns other charges via same route.
    5. Earns a warning coupled with friendly conversation. Definitely the biggest category.

I have always written more warnings, generally about 2 to 1; now that I'm full-time patrol it's a little closer to 50/50, but still more warnings.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by BPD_126 View Post
    Our admins "strongly suggest" we don't pull anyone over for under 10+.

Same here. Or at least, don't ticket for 10 or less, unless it's a school zone.

Stop all you want at 5 over; our warning form has no blank for speed on it. Makes it easier to stop the "good" ones.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

It's like fishing. If the big ones are biting I throw the little ones back. If it's hard to catch anything that day I keep the little ones.

Forum Member
    It depends on the environment. Light, weather, pedestrians, terrian, vehicular traffic, etc etc.

Hell on Wheels
    I let them all run at least the posted limit plus the department tollerance as set forth in Minutes of Command Conferance in 1936 ... unless weather, traffic, road, or visability conditions or a permit for a load dictate otherwise.

I might even let them run a little bit faster.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member
    usually 10 mph over unless you pass me on the highway..then you get the cite at less than 10

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Cop View Post
    Same here. Or at least, don't ticket for 10 or less, unless it's a school zone.

Stop all you want at 5 over; our warning form has no blank for speed on it. Makes it easier to stop the "good" ones.
    What's a warning form look like? Guess I'm lucky I only have racial profiling to fill out after a verbal warning huh?!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DREGOD View Post
    Unless the weather is bad, I usually give everyone ten miles over.
    About the same..10-15, depending on where I am, how easy it is to turn around, etc. I very rarely write, though - unless they really earned it. The last citation I wrote for speed was 63/30.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by BPD_126 View Post
    What's a warning form look like? Guess I'm lucky I only have racial profiling to fill out after a verbal warning huh?!
    HAHAHA - you have to do that? Our dispatchers have to input all the profiling data!!!!

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

I'll pull someone over for 5 over just to get a look in the car, check for warrants, anything in the open etc.

Or

I'll make sure I'm going the speed limit and just wait for any car to pass me. Too easy!

But if I'm solely on the road for Traffic, I'll go 10+.

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake R View Post
    I'll stop you at 10mph, won't ticket until 14+ over... of course, i've let 12+ mph over go and ticketed at 10mph...