Forum Member

If your Bi-polar can you become a cop?

I have a friend who wants to become a police officer. However, he has a history of being diagnosed as Bi-polar, for 2 years now, and he is currently on medication for it.

in the future, if he ever gets off the medication, can he become a cop? is there anyway of the police department finding out that he was on meds and diagnosed as bipolar?

(i know the police do psych exams)

thanks just curious!

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by beck metat View Post
    I have a friend who wants to become a police officer. However, he has a history of being diagnosed as Bi-polar, for 2 years now, and he is currently on medication for it.

in the future, if he ever gets off the medication, can he become a cop? is there anyway of the police department finding out that he was on meds and diagnosed as bipolar?

(i know the police do psych exams)

thanks just curious!
    Don't think anyone will be able to give a strait answer on this one. But all I can say is that. Aloe of people have been DQ'd for a whole lot less.

Fort Jah's Finest
    I know a certain SGT in my command who seems to be bi-polar. Guess some ppl get by on their investigation. Welcome to the NYPD!!
    "...There are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.
    Then there are sheepdogs, and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."
    LtCol. Dave Grossman (Ret. US Army Ranger)

----------------------------------------
    RIP PO Brandon Rocke (NBBS/67 PCT/70 PCT) | EOT 04/04/2009
    "...Till We Meet Again"

Broken BTO
    he will defintely have to disclose that he had treatment, if he omits it he's pretty much done for if they find out, and they will....smitty is definitely right in that people have been dq'd for much less than that. don't want to be a downer but not very likely for your friend...
    "From now on, all your opinions will be ignored!"

An Obvious problem
    Something to understand, mental illness (like bi-polar) is never cured only controlled through medication. I usually explain it to families involved as being similiar to diabetes. There is no cure for that either. As a diabetic must take insulin or oral meds the rest of their lives to control their blood sugar, a person with bi-polar will need to take meds the rest of their lives to control the chemical imbalances effecting their brain function. However, if they do so they can be a perfectly functioning member of society. Although they should seek regular doctor visits to ensure their med's are being adjusted as needed, again just like a diabetic. Unfortunatley there is no good "reading" for mental illness like there is for diabetics to check their blood sugar.
    Today's Quote:

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

no cure for it. and you are a huge liability. it is a mental disorder. Dont want to be negative but he shouldnt be thinking for law enforcement. I have worked with people with BIpolar and after being on the meds for over ten years they decide that they dont need them. guess what happened in one case? she started getting ups and downs, one day she sold all her belongings on the street (because she thought the world is great) and a few weeks later said that everyone is out to get her ( attacked her son with a knife and spit in his face) then threw bricks at her job site. if she had a firearm god knows what could have happened......

Series 0083
    Yeah his problem is that he was DIAGNOSED and is taking meds. He should have waited until after he was already on the job and then gotten diagnosed.
    It's too late for him, my opinion is that there is no way that a regular police force would hire him.
    Last edited by DCPSDcop; 05-07-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DCPSDcop View Post
    Yeah his problem is that he was DIAGNOSED and is taking meds. He should have waited until after he was already on the job and then gotten diagnosed.
    It's too late for him, my opinion is that there is no way that a regular police force would hire him.
    Perhaps an irregular force would hire him.
    retired cop