Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Question sig sauer p226(DAO)

does anyone own one?
    if so what are your views on it?
    and can you give a quick review of the one you own.

I'm applying for the NYPD and we get three duty weapon choices, I have narrowed it down to two. it's between the sig sauer p226(DAO) or the Glock19 which I like both. My only complaint about the glock is that is wayy to light for me.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member
    The Sig P226 is the way to go but I like the standard traditional double action only where the first round is double action and the rest single until you decock it. Sig's single action is about as crisp as any handgun out there.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Suck it Trebek!!!!
    This is going to be a really hard topic to explain because you are the ultimate one who will be firing the handgun. I think you should try to get a hold of both weapons and have your own field test (I don't know if you have any private ranges in your area but sometimes they rent out guns to be fired at their range if you can't get a hold of one for yourself). You will see on these boards that there are glock people, and there are sig people. Not saying that their reviews aren't valuable, but it seems that people are loyal to their brands no matter what. Now, I must say that I am one of those people and you can't go wrong with a Sig. My current agency has Beretta 96 Vertecs and I hate them. I used to have a Sig P229 and that thing was butter. It felt really good in ones hand and that thing fires dead on right out of the box. Again, Sig would be my pick but you really should decide for yourself using the method of firing the two guns for yourself.

24/7/365
    I like Sigs and Glocks, however I prefer a steel framed Sig over the polymer weapons. I too do not care for the DAO, DAK etc type triggers but prefer the DA/SA and for the Sig the SRT.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member
    Thank you for all the info.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member
    I've also heard complaints about the sig rusting?
    how much truth is there to this?

I'm pretty sure that any weapon will rust if they're not taken care of properly.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Hop
    Forum Member
    No rust problems with any of mine. Can you only carry the DAO or can you also use the DAK? I have no personal experience with the DAK but from what I understand it has a lighter trigger pull that the DAO.

Forum Member

Ref. the Sig : Is it the P226 "DAK" ?
    I own a Sig P220 with the DAK trigger and a pile of Glocks. I like them all. The DAK trigger is an excellent trigger system but in my opinion it would take alot of practice to master it (especially when used to the short 5.5lb Glock trigger). No rust problems w/ the Sig for me either. Both are great guns you can't go wrong IMO.

Forum Member
    I am not 100% positive, but I think NYPD only offers the DAO and not the DAK in the 226. Just as the Glock has the "New York" trigger at 12 lbs or some such.

On the rust issue.... Unless it is a very old the slide will be stainless (not carbon) steel. That should keep rust to a minimum especially in the New York climate. If memory serves, NYPD did not offer the Sig as choice to officers until about 2002 so they should all have the stainless slide. The NYPD info above is from an article I read in about 2002 so I am hoping I remeber it all correctly.

Also for rust prevention I use sentury solutions "marine tough cloth". I highly recommend it I have used it for years on my carbon steel slide P220.

John2008 be sure to shoot them yourself. See what feels good.

Tmg
    Forum Member

If the glock has a 12lbs trigger pull get the sig. I love my sig and it has treated me well. Although i have a DA/SA 220
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

Yeah if the glock has a "NY" trigger take the Sig. The NY-1 trigger is 8# and the NY-2 is 12#.....I hate them. I like the standard 5.5# trigger on the Glock. So take the 226 !

10-96

personally I like all 3, but out of the three choices I would choose the S&W first, then second choice is the sig, and third is the Glock.

If you decide to carry the glock 26 off duty I would suggest getting the Glock 19 as your service auto. Magazines for the 19 also fit in the 26, and they are basically the same gun.

all nypd firearms have that dam 12lbs trigger but u get use to it..the sig has a longer trigger pull then the glock.. the sig does rust trust me i have seen it

Forum Member

I have a 226 DAO and hate the trigger pull- just havent got a chance to replace the trigger through Sig. The pull seems to go on forever!

Forum Member
    I like the way the Sig looks and feels and shoots, but I'm worried about durability, especially because I keep hearing that it rust. now my thing with the glock, I don't like how the empty shells fly at your face, I don't have that problem with the Sig since they tend to go towards the side instead of back at you like the glock.

over all, I like the sig the best, I just hope it won't rust on me throughout the years. plus they can't be that much of a problem since NCPD only issues Sigs to their officers( I could be wrong)
    Last edited by John2008; 04-28-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member

Ref. the SigP226 , you make jump on the Texas Forum and see if there are any DPS Troopers on there. They are issued the Sig P226 DAK in .357sig. The 357 sig is a hot round so it should test the durability. For the rust issue they could advise on that also b/c bfore they issued the P226 they issued the P220. If there is a rust issue they should know.

Its Count Time- Lock In!!
    A wise NYPD Officer told me to use the service weapon that most of the officers in your precint and unit uses so in case of a fire fight you can use each others mags....so if most use the G19 and G26 for a BUG then go with that no matter how much you dont like it. They are all great weapons.
    CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
    FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

24/7/365
    I live & work in a hot / humid / Salt Water environment and all 50+ guys in our division are issued the Sig Sauer P226. I have had mine for 6 years with thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. They can rust as well as the mags. But if it comes to the point that these weapons or mags are showing surface rust, then it is due to the negligence of the owner / user.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Loves Ashley Greene
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSJAILER2008 View Post
    so if most use the G19 and G26 for a BUG then go with that no matter how much you dont like it.
    That is terrible advice. If the OP cannot hit with the G19 DO NOT GET IT! Swapping ammo in a firefight may be nice and all, but a case of ammo is not going to do you any good if you cannot place rounds where they need to be. Get what you shoot be, not what everyone else shoots best.

As for rust: yes, a Sig can rust, but so can parts of Glocks, Hk's etc. If you're going to trust your life to something, have a little common sense and take care of it.
    Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Reserve Deputy
    All this swapping ammo nonsense - if you've wasted all of your rounds in a firefight, I'm not going to be keen on giving you a bunch of mine to spray and pray with.

Go with whatever you shoot better. I'm a 226 fan myself, and my 226 is rather old (1st generation) with absolutely NO maintenance issues whatsoever. No rust, no failures, no issues. These things are built to last.

As stated above, proper maintenance and you can carry any of the 3 and have no issues.
    Last edited by (S)Sgt Elmer; 04-29-2008 at 07:02 AM.
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Forum Member
    Again Marine Tough Cloth keeps rust at bay with mimimal effort.

Amen on the mag swap Sgt. Elmer

Forum Member
    Thank you for all the info
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisguy1996 View Post
    Again Marine Tough Cloth keeps rust at bay with mimimal effort.

Amen on the mag swap Sgt. Elmer
    where can I find them?
    I've looked online for them but haven't found them.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member
    http://www.sentrysolutions.com/welcome.shtml

I would get the cloth (I prefer the marine to the regular) and a small bottle of tuf glide to recharge it. That should last you 1+ years. That is all I use on my guns and have for about 10 years. If you look around on the site, there is a dealer locator. So you may be able to find a walk in store near you. Good luck at NYPD.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisguy1996 View Post
    http://www.sentrysolutions.com/welcome.shtml

I would get the cloth (I prefer the marine to the regular) and a small bottle of tuf glide to recharge it. That should last you 1+ years. That is all I use on my guns and have for about 10 years. If you look around on the site, there is a dealer locator. So you may be able to find a walk in store near you. Good luck at NYPD.
    thank you very much, I will save the link to that website when I get home.

I think I'm going to stick with the sig, not that many people in the agency have it from what I hear, most of the officers have the S&W or the Glock and once in a while you hear of someone having a sig. but I've been looking at this gun for the last year or so and the only complaint I hear is that it does rust but I'm pretty sure if you take good care of it, it would take good care of you.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/SigArms-P226-9mm-Pistol/21$37585
    "Why you harassing me?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last