SOI
    Surly Sergeant

I need information on carrying concealed in a vehicle in Nebraska for a non-officer.

My wife is going back to Nebraska in a few months. She has a TX CHL but of course the liberal nutjobs who run Nebraska do not honor any other state's licenses.

She knows she can not carry on her person, but she needs to know how she can legally carry her handgun in her vehicle. Does it have to be concealed? Or do they not allow car carry at all? I read somewhere that in Nebraska you have to have the gun locked separate from the ammo and not within reach of the driver. But that wasn't on any official state website, so I don't know whether it's true.

I understand also that in Nebraska cities can make their own enforceable carry laws outlawing all carry. We specifically need information on Lincoln.

Any help you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Midwest Nittany Lion
    Hey SOI,

I'm in South Dakota, but travel to NE frequently.

I carry my firearm with me always. When I come to NE, I keep it in it's case (locked) unloaded. I keep this case in either the back seat OR in the back of my vehicle (I drive an SUV).....to my knowledge, it must not be "readily accessible". I keep my magazines in my glove compartment.

I am not a police officer in NE, so I cannot give you the exact laws. I do know that NE is similar to WI in that they basically always want to give the criminal the hand up in any situation where one would need a handgun. God forbid we law-abiding citizens have firearms within reach. I'm fairly confident most of the NE officers on here will concur with me on that issue. It does seem that NE may be starting to come around in their ways, however.

According to THIS SITE, it states that in Nebraska:

One may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during the transporting of the firearm it is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the driver/passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
    In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition should be placed in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(I guess by having my mags in my glove compartment, I've broken the law a few times. Oops. I'll have to keep those in the back as well now.......ugh.)

Some additional information you may find useful:

Right to Carry

NE Firearms Laws

Hope this helps some.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chit2001; 04-26-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    1*

Forum Member

State level

At the state level she may carry it openly, on her hip or in plain sight on the dashboard of her car or next to her on the seat in plain sight. If stopped by officer in car she should open window and tell the officer of the firearm. They are used to it, they will not draw down on her and shoot her.

In Omaha is she is there for long extended stay, she can carry concealed in her car with an Omaha class and permit system, does not need be a NE resident. Only good for Omaha and then only in car concealed.

Nebraska has what is called a justified defense on non permit concealed carry. If you have a valid reason to CC then it is legal after the fact. Things that qualify is lots of cash, transporting prescription drugs, like doctors and drug sales, documented protection orders, transporting firearms etc. on a profesional basis, anything that would be judged appropriate by a jury of reasonable people. The officer can arrest you, you take it to court judge or jury, explain your reason for concealed carry, if deemed reasonable then charges are dropped. So it could be a hassle, but officers have no desire to waste thier time in court if they are going to loose, so if you tell the officer why you carry and it's reasonable he is going to know this and let you go on your way, because he know's he will loose in court and wast everyone's time.

If you are just looking for in the car carry, then make sure it's in plain sight if she is stopped that is the easiest.

Midwest Nittany Lion
    Wow, DH...

You just provided a TON of information that even I have never heard of!

I never carry in plain sight for obvious reasons, but if I can carry it in plain sight on my passenger seat, that would be great!

Regarding the Omaha class and permit system, wow. I had no clue.

Thanks for providing that info!
    1*

Forum Member

I see you speak of Lincoln, the Chief of Police in Lincoln hates guns so much his own officers would not carry them if he had his way.

Do a google search on Nebraska CCW and you will get to the Nebraska CCW website, there are quite a few Lincoln residents there that will know exactly the best way for her to go about it.

Forum Member

The Omaha Permit

The Omaha permit system came into place before the NE state permit due to the high number of car jackings in Omaha, this was thier response, take a class pay a fee, permit good for in car only. It still effects Omaha residents State CCW permits or not, but non Omaha residents with state permits they are not so sure about needing the Omaha permit also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    I see you speak of Lincoln, the Chief of Police in Lincoln hates guns so much his own officers would not carry them if he had his way.
    I think that statement is a little bit extreme. He definitely leans to the left on the subject of guns...but for the most part, he's reasonable.