Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    VWJetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Essex County, MA
    Posts
    100

    Large orange non-transparent 'No Parking' sticker put on my window

    Hey guys,

    The maintanence guy for the management company put a big orange 'No Parking' sticker on my drivers side rear window for parking 'infront of a walkway.' I tried to remove the sticker but it tore immediately and won't come off without scratching the glass. Now I have some history with this guy, he's got some serious self-esteem issues and he tries to enforce the condo rules as if it were his job. He's gave me crap before, accused me of throwing my cigarettes on the ground next to the stairs and threatened to get me evicted for it (he had no basis for his accusations, they weren't even the same brand cigs that I smoke!) I simply told him to F*** off and he stormed out of his truck and got in my face. Fortunately my friend, (who lives above me) and a Boston PO, saw the whole thing and came right out to break it up. He told the guy to leave and he left. A few days later my Dad approached him and told him "If you have a problem with my son, don't say a word to him, just call me and I'll take care of it." "It will only make matters worse as you two clearly don't like each other." "Thank you."

    There were a couple more incidents involving a satelite dish that I had and a cat (that wasn't mine but someone abandoned it when they moved out who lived in our building) but I'll spare you the details.

    Anyways, last night when I arrived home from work around 2am I noticed that there wasn't any spaces in our parking lot. I pay for 2 parking spaces and the maintanence of the parking lot as part of my condo fee. I parked to the right of the walkway on the dirt where people always park if the lot is full. I awoke this morning around 930am and went out for a morning smoke. Right away I noticed a large orange sticker on my car and went over to move my car to an empty parking space (most people left for work.) When I saw the maintanence guy a few minutes later I asked him to remove the sticker, as I couldn't get it off. He gives me attitude and tells me "Well you should've thought of that before you parked there, you're lucky the the wrecker hasn't shown up yet to tow it." I ask him again, nicely, to remove the sticker. He snickers, mocks me and tells me to "Go cry to Daddy." I then asked him if he had contacted the Chief of Police or his designee and he laughs at me again and says "No, why would I do that?" Obviously I didn't give him an answer. There is no sign that says that you cannot park where I parked either and I've never been told that I cannot park there either.

    Now, since he's been a complete ***** to me since the day I moved in, is there anything I can do about this? I cannot stand this guy, he's clearly got self-esteem issues and tries to boost it by trying to enforce the property rules on me when he's merely a maintanence guy. I legally cannot drive with this sticker on my window (it's non-transparent which is a MV and can get me a ticket) and I did not give him permission to put it there and I don't want it there(and I can't get it off.) Is this Vandalism and if so how would I go about pressing charges?

    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-126a.htm

    CHAPTER 266. CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY


    Chapter 266: Section 126A. Defacement of real or personal property; penalties; suspension of driver’s license


    Section 126A. Whoever intentionally, willfully and maliciously or wantonly, paints, marks, scratches, etches or otherwise marks, injures, mars, defaces or destroys the real or personal property of another including but not limited to a wall, fence, building, sign, rock, monument, gravestone or tablet, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for a term of not more than three years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two years or by a fine of not more than fifteen hundred dollars or not more than three times the value of the property so marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and fine, and shall also be required to pay for the removal or obliteration of such painting, marking, scratching or etching, or to remove or obliterate such painting, marking, scratching or etching; provided, however, that when a fine is levied pursuant to the value of the property marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed or when the cost of removal or obliteration is assessed, the court shall, after conviction, conduct an evidentiary hearing to ascertain the value of the property so marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed or to ascertain the cost of the removal or obliteration. A police officer may arrest any person for commission of the offenses prohibited by this section without a warrant if said police officer has probable cause to believe that said person has committed the offenses prohibited by this section.

    Upon conviction for said offense the individual’s driver’s license shall be suspended for one year. If the individual convicted of defacing or vandalizing the real or personal property of another is under the age of sixteen then one year shall be added to the minimum age eligibility for driving.



    Thanks guys,
    VWJetta

    P.S He admitted to putting the sticker on my car and he put his signature on it.
    Last edited by VWJetta; 04-17-2008 at 11:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    JI603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    563
    This is one of those things that happens a lot with private parking lots... just cause nobody else gets a 'sticker' for parking in front of the walkway, and 'it happens all the time' -- doesn't mean that it's not against the apt/condo rules.

    It's a fact of life that when you make your bed, you have to sleep in it, and if you go around making enemies of people that have the ability to inconvenience you (trash guys/mailmen/apt security nazis/meter maids - you name it) then you have to deal with whatever minor 'digs' come your way.

    Stickering an improperly parked car is not vandalism. It comes off with a razor and some 'goo gone' or WD40. He could probably have been ok with towing your car (some places do) and then you'd be faced with going to pick it up. Out in my state it wouldn't cost you anything to pick it up, but if it was towed for a legit reason, the tow yard could bill you for tow + storage.

    Either be squeaky clean and don't bend the rules of the place, make nice with the guy so that he lets you slide everynow and then, or realize that you live in a complex, and if you don't like it - you need your own place.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    VWJetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Essex County, MA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by JI603 View Post
    This is one of those things that happens a lot with private parking lots... just cause nobody else gets a 'sticker' for parking in front of the walkway, and 'it happens all the time' -- doesn't mean that it's not against the apt/condo rules.

    It's a fact of life that when you make your bed, you have to sleep in it, and if you go around making enemies of people that have the ability to inconvenience you (trash guys/mailmen/apt security nazis/meter maids - you name it) then you have to deal with whatever minor 'digs' come your way.

    Stickering an improperly parked car is not vandalism. It comes off with a razor and some 'goo gone' or WD40. He could probably have been ok with towing your car (some places do) and then you'd be faced with going to pick it up. Out in my state it wouldn't cost you anything to pick it up, but if it was towed for a legit reason, the tow yard could bill you for tow + storage.

    Either be squeaky clean and don't bend the rules of the place, make nice with the guy so that he lets you slide everynow and then, or realize that you live in a complex, and if you don't like it - you need your own place.
    Improperly parked or not it doesn't give you the right to deface someone else's property (even if it's temporary, it's still, by definition, vandalism.) The sticker was a tow sticker, so when the tow truck driver came he could put a boot on it and then tow it.

    Now if he wants to play this game I can too. He wants to be technical I can too. I was not parked infront of the 'walk' or 'walkway', I made sure of that. If I wasn't infront of the walkway then I could not have been towed (as it wasn't posted and I have never been told not to park there, one of the two is required in MA to tow without the owner's permission.)


  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaxer View Post
    I am not a cop, so I won't say a word to the legal issue you are asking.

    As far as the sticker though, buy a thing of goo-gone. It will take care of it.
    You should be able to get it at most stores. Everything from an autoparts store to WalMart or a grocery store even.
    X-2 Good idea. Check MA Law, and make a police report if required. Decision to prosecute will probably be made by local DA. Also possible, if your window was damaged, you could initiate a Small Claims action. Again, check your state law for filing, and monetary Small Claims limits. If you're a minor, it's very possible you parent/guardian will have to file any police report/Small Claims action(s).

  5. #5
    Livin' the dream
    nadler20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    614
    Here's what you do. Find a box cutter, take out the razor blade. Put the blade at a 45 degree angle to your window and start sliding it under a corner of the sticker as you gently pull from that corner. Just keep working the blade across the sticker so you don't get that ripping effect. It should only take you about 2 minutes to get it off and if you do it right there will be no residue. If there is any left, do the Goo Gone thing.

    I did this about 8 times in high school because I didn't have a parking permit for a term, so the advice comes from experience.

    Good luck
    Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    349
    Your starting premise is flawed.

    From the statute you quoted:

    Section 126A. Whoever intentionally, willfully and maliciously or wantonly, paints, marks, scratches, etches or otherwise marks, injures, mars, defaces or destroys the real or personal property of another . . .
    [snip]
    The above phrase destroys your argument. To violate the statute, the action has to be intentional AND willful, plus it also needs to either be malicious or wanton. In other words, even if you can demonstrate that the action was intentional and/or willful, which it obviously was, you're never going to convince a prosecuting authority anywhere that it was also malicious or wanton. You need all those elements for a successful prosecution.

    In most states, all the maintenance guy needs is to be an authorized agent of the complex and to claim that stickering cars that are parked in violation of the complex's rules is part of the normal course of business. It is unlikely that the prohibition has to be posted as it is on private property and the complex is entitled to make its own rules.

    There's a legal concept called "presumption of regularity" that tends to put the onus on YOU to demonstrate that something that appears to be being done in the usual and customary course of business is in fact being done for an improper reason. In this case if you had videotape of the guy putting a sticker on your car when it was parked in a marked space in the parking lot, you could make a case for malicious or wanton conduct. Barring that, all he has to do is claim that your car was moved since the time he put the sticker on it and he's home free.

    It seems to me that if his conduct is improper, you need a written statement from the condominium board (or, if the complex is privately managed, the management company) that this fellow is not empowered to act as an authorized representative of the complex and is not authorized to sticker cars, even if they are parked in violation of the rules. If you can get such a statement, perhaps in the form of a letter addressed to the maintenance man and to all unit owners, you'll have a case if he continues. If not, you have no case, because he's doing what the complex wants (which is what I strongly suspect).

    Pete

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    hooknbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    308
    ^^^^^^ not only that, but you have no proof who placed it there since you didn't see it etc. This situation would be a waste of time and resources for law enforcment IMO. Deal with it like adults through the condo associations...it's just too petty.
    Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Jhelrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,121
    Use a razer blade and go gone or WD-40. It is super hard to scratch glass, don't worry.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    912
    Peel it off using the above techniques, let it go, and don't park there again

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    VWJetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Essex County, MA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGould View Post
    Your starting premise is flawed.

    From the statute you quoted:



    The above phrase destroys your argument. To violate the statute, the action has to be intentional AND willful, plus it also needs to either be malicious or wanton. In other words, even if you can demonstrate that the action was intentional and/or willful, which it obviously was, you're never going to convince a prosecuting authority anywhere that it was also malicious or wanton. You need all those elements for a successful prosecution.

    In most states, all the maintenance guy needs is to be an authorized agent of the complex and to claim that stickering cars that are parked in violation of the complex's rules is part of the normal course of business. It is unlikely that the prohibition has to be posted as it is on private property and the complex is entitled to make its own rules.

    There's a legal concept called "presumption of regularity" that tends to put the onus on YOU to demonstrate that something that appears to be being done in the usual and customary course of business is in fact being done for an improper reason. In this case if you had videotape of the guy putting a sticker on your car when it was parked in a marked space in the parking lot, you could make a case for malicious or wanton conduct. Barring that, all he has to do is claim that your car was moved since the time he put the sticker on it and he's home free.

    It seems to me that if his conduct is improper, you need a written statement from the condominium board (or, if the complex is privately managed, the management company) that this fellow is not empowered to act as an authorized representative of the complex and is not authorized to sticker cars, even if they are parked in violation of the rules. If you can get such a statement, perhaps in the form of a letter addressed to the maintenance man and to all unit owners, you'll have a case if he continues. If not, you have no case, because he's doing what the complex wants (which is what I strongly suspect).

    Pete
    He admitted he put the sticker on the car infront of several witnesses. He's not going to deny it and even stated he won't deny it. He thinks he's above the law. This guy is a complete D-Bag to me, he constantly harasses me and does everything possible to make my life hell.

    CHAPTER 266. CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY


    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-120d.htm

    Chapter 266: Section 120D. Removal of motor vehicles from private ways or property; penalties; liability for removal and storage charges; release of vehicle


    Section 120D. No person shall remove a motor vehicle which is parked or standing on a private way or upon improved or enclosed property unless the operator of such vehicle has been forbidden so to park or stand, either directly or by posted notice, by the person who has lawful control of such way or property. No vehicle shall be removed from such way or property without the consent of the owner of such vehicle unless the person who has lawful control of such way or property shall have notified the chief of police or his designee in a city or town, or, in the city of Boston the police commissioner, or a person from time to time designated by said police commissioner, that such vehicle is to be removed. Such notification shall be made before any such vehicle shall be removed, and shall be in writing unless otherwise specified by such chief of police or police commissioner and shall include the address from which the vehicle is to be removed, the address to which the vehicle is to be removed, the registration number of the vehicle, the name of the person in lawful control of the way or property from which such vehicle is being removed, and the name of the person or company or other business entity removing the vehicle. Vehicles so removed shall be stored in a convenient location. Neither the city or town, nor its chief of police or police commissioner or his designee, shall be liable for any damages incurred during the removal or storage of any such vehicle removed under this section. Any person who, without notifying the chief of police or his designee, or the police commissioner or his designee, or without obtaining the consent of the owner, removes a vehicle from a private way or from improved or enclosed property as aforesaid, shall, in addition to any other penalty of law, be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars. The employer of such person if any, shall also be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars.

    Any person who purports to authorize the removal of a vehicle from a way or property as aforesaid without having fully complied with the provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars.

    In addition to any other penalty provided by law, the registered owner of a vehicle illegally parked or standing on a private way or upon improved or enclosed property shall be liable for charges for the removal and storage of such vehicle; provided, however, that the liability so imposed shall not exceed the following, and provided, further, that the vehicle has been removed after compliance with the provisions of this section:

    (1) the maximum amount for towing or transportation of motor vehicles established by the department of telecommunications and energy for motor vehicles towed away when such towing is ordered by the police or other public authority under the provisions of section six B of chapter one hundred and fifty-nine B; and

    (2) the maximum charge for storage of non-commercial passenger motor vehicles with a maximum capacity of nine persons, shall be not more than the maximum storage charge allowed under the provisions of said section six B of said chapter one hundred and fifty-nine B.

    A person lawfully holding a vehicle removed under the provisions of this section may hold such vehicle until the registered owner pays the removal and storage charges.

    Any person who is called to remove by towing a vehicle illegally parked or standing on a private way or upon improved or enclosed property may, at his discretion, if the owner appears to remove said vehicle before the towing is completed, charge said owner one half of the fee usually charged for such towing.

    Any person who removes a vehicle illegally parked or standing on a private way or upon improved or enclosed property, or holds such a vehicle after its removal, and who has not complied in full with the provisions of this section, shall release such vehicle to its owner without assessing any charges for its removal or storage

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Doughboy2518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4
    Used to work in a body shop and we used glass cleaner to soak it down and then use a razor blade to scrape it off as stated above.... should come right off with this, shouldn't scratch your window. good luck with that A-hole

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by VWJetta View Post
    He admitted he put the sticker on the car infront of several witnesses. He's not going to deny it and even stated he won't deny it. He thinks he's above the law.
    Or he knows he's in compliance with the law. We can't tell from here.

    This guy is a complete D-Bag to me, he constantly harasses me and does everything possible to make my life hell.
    Such things never happen in a vacuum. Unless he behaves the same way toward absolutely everybody in the complex, there is a reason why he is treating you differently. It could be a legitimate reason or an illegitimate one; again, we can't tell from here. If he treats you in a way you don't like because of your own behavior, past or present, and if he knows how to play within the rules, you're unlikely to change his behavior with the tactics you're using.

    Chapter 266: Section 120D. Removal of motor vehicles from private ways or property; penalties; liability for removal and storage charges; release of vehicle
    Based on this, IF he tows your car (which he hasn't yet) he needs to be able to claim that he told you not to park somewhere. He has accomplished that via the sticker: you've now been told not to park where you were parked. You also had a personal conversation with him in which he reinforced that statement. Next time if he tows you he can quite legitimately claim you were warned. When he tows you he has to notify the local police, in writing "unless otherwise specified." If the local PD has specified a phone call for such notifications, for instance, that's all he has to do. You are correct that if he misses one of these steps the law says you get your car back for free and he might have to pay a fine. I somehow doubt that will be the end of the problem, though.

    Have you found out from your condo association (or management company) whether he is authorized to do this or not? That's the $64,000 question. He's either an authorized representative or he's not. Which is it?

    Pete
    Last edited by PeteGould; 04-18-2008 at 07:46 AM.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Taylor1430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,695
    It does not matter if you were in front of, next to, or even near the walkway. If you check your lease agreement, I'd be willing to bet there are rules in there about parking....something along the lines of vehicles must be parked in a designated parking space. Does your lease say anything whatsoever in regards to parking? And if so, is this dirt path you parked on a designated parking space?

    If this happened here in Maryland, the parking sticker would have been placed on your car...and you probably would have been towed at your expense. Here, apartment buildings, shopping centers, etc are considered private property so they can tow for whatever reason.

    While the maintenance guy could be a a-hole to you, everything you have said here he is working within the scope of his job and you would be hard pressed to find any court to take your side.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8
    I would just do what Nadler20 says:

    Quote Originally Posted by nadler20 View Post
    Here's what you do. Find a box cutter, take out the razor blade. Put the blade at a 45 degree angle to your window and start sliding it under a corner of the sticker as you gently pull from that corner. Just keep working the blade across the sticker so you don't get that ripping effect. It should only take you about 2 minutes to get it off and if you do it right there will be no residue. If there is any left, do the Goo Gone thing.

    I did this about 8 times in high school because I didn't have a parking permit for a term, so the advice comes from experience.

    Good luck
    If you think about it, pressing charges for a sticker on your window will be more work and time that you dont want, and most likely wont even stick. Doing that your just gonna **** the guy off and he might be a BIGGER jerk than what he already is. Just let it go and let it be, dont park there again. Good side to this.... at least he didnt put the sticker on the paint!

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGould View Post
    Or he knows he's in compliance with the law. We can't tell from here.



    Such things never happen in a vacuum. Unless he behaves the same way toward absolutely everybody in the complex, there is a reason why he is treating you differently. It could be a legitimate reason or an illegitimate one; again, we can't tell from here. If he treats you in a way you don't like because of your own behavior, past or present, and if he knows how to play within the rules, you're unlikely to change his behavior with the tactics you're using.



    Based on this, IF he tows your car (which he hasn't yet) he needs to be able to claim that he told you not to park somewhere. He has accomplished that via the sticker: you've now been told not to park where you were parked. You also had a personal conversation with him in which he reinforced that statement. Next time if he tows you he can quite legitimately claim you were warned. When he tows you he has to notify the local police, in writing "unless otherwise specified." If the local PD has specified a phone call for such notifications, for instance, that's all he has to do. You are correct that if he misses one of these steps the law says you get your car back for free and he might have to pay a fine. I somehow doubt that will be the end of the problem, though.

    Have you found out from your condo association (or management company) whether he is authorized to do this or not? That's the $64,000 question. He's either an authorized representative or he's not. Which is it?

    Pete
    To the Original Poster. I suggest you take another look at Pete's reply. There's really some good information there. Reading your original post,and subsequent replies,(mine included) it looks like you and the Maintenance guy are in some sort of P **&^contest.From my perspective, currently, he's winning. Let me suggest you contact the Manager's Office, if only to see what specific authority the gentleman has. Read your rules, protective covenants, etc. Usually, they should tell you exactly where you stand vis a vis the complex. Your simply not liking this guy isn't going to hack it, provided he's acting within the law, and the stated rules of the complex.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    VWJetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Essex County, MA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGould View Post
    Or he knows he's in compliance with the law. We can't tell from here.



    Such things never happen in a vacuum. Unless he behaves the same way toward absolutely everybody in the complex, there is a reason why he is treating you differently. It could be a legitimate reason or an illegitimate one; again, we can't tell from here. If he treats you in a way you don't like because of your own behavior, past or present, and if he knows how to play within the rules, you're unlikely to change his behavior with the tactics you're using.



    Based on this, IF he tows your car (which he hasn't yet) he needs to be able to claim that he told you not to park somewhere. He has accomplished that via the sticker: you've now been told not to park where you were parked. You also had a personal conversation with him in which he reinforced that statement. Next time if he tows you he can quite legitimately claim you were warned. When he tows you he has to notify the local police, in writing "unless otherwise specified." If the local PD has specified a phone call for such notifications, for instance, that's all he has to do. You are correct that if he misses one of these steps the law says you get your car back for free and he might have to pay a fine. I somehow doubt that will be the end of the problem, though.

    Have you found out from your condo association (or management company) whether he is authorized to do this or not? That's the $64,000 question. He's either an authorized representative or he's not. Which is it?

    Pete
    On one hand he does treat me differently, as he basically stalks me trying to find any little thing that may be a violation of the rules. On the other hand there is not one person in my building who hasn't had a problem with this guy. My buddy (Leo) said the guy tried putting a sticker on his car (same exact car as mine, black 96 jetta) and he put him in his place. Coincidentally, he was parking in the same spot as I was. The parking lot gets full sometimes late at night, and there's no place to park. The town's parking ban is still in effect so I can't park on the road next to the parking lot.

    The Condo manager (he 'manages' all 16 buildings here and 6 other properties in the area, he's also the owner of the management company) is a complete scumbag. My Dad had an issue with this guy about 20 years ago when he tried to fine him $5K for a tenant who racked up that much in fines and then fled the country when my Dad took the tenant to court. He pays his maintanence guys under the table, according to several other maintanence guys I've talked to that were reluctant to share that information with me.

    Now if it ever went to a legal battle, I'm sure he would claim that the guy isn't an authorized representative because he pays him under the table. In the condo association's rules it states that the Property Manager is the owner of the Management company. It does not say that the Maintanence guy has any authority. He could claim that he used the Maintanence guy as a messanger, but from what I've been told from the other Maintanence guy that was with this guy all morning he made the decision to put the sticker on himself.

    The Maintanence Nazi has made about 5 complaints to my landlord about me. My landlord called me last night threatening to evict me if he received another complaint because the Management company would start fining him $25/day until I left, which he would pass along to me. I told him that the burden of proof is on them to prove I did anything wrong. When all 5 complaints came from the same person, I don't see it flying, especially when the complainee isn't an occupant in the building.

    I've tried making nice with the guy twice before, apologized to him for my actions in previous incidents, even though I felt I did nothing wrong I did it anyways. It clearly didn't help, I guess some people never grow up no matter their age. From what I've been told, and what I had thought from the get-go is that he thinks he can bully me around because of my age (I'm only 21 and don't look much older.) When he realized that I wasn't going to take his crap he decided to make my life hell.

    I gave a call to the Property manager but he didn't answer. I doubt he'll call though.

    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    tactical208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    770
    VWJetta,
    You are making a BIGGER deal out of this than it has to be. For one he didn't damage your window, and by looking at your picture no one else damaged it either. Get a hot soapy rag and apply it to the sticker for afew minutes. Then get a razor blade and it will come off without any problems.

    On top of that your law section is wrong for this type action. That law that you posted if you read it correctly means someone can't tow a vehicle off a way or upon improved or enclosed property, it doesn't say anything about PRIVATE PROPERTY. The apartment complex would be owned by a company and the apartment complex is PRIVATE PROPERTY where only tenants and their allowed or designated guests may park within the guidelines of the apartment complex. So your barking up the wrong tree he fella, stop the hate and move on. If you don't give this individual a reason to do something then you'll both be fine. But right now your playing tit for tat.

    And leave the law up to law enforcement officials, the law you posted doesn't hold weight in this situation. If it said PRIVATE PROPERTY you would have a better chance.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    luckydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,151
    you seem to have the mentality of a 12 year old. what you need to do is simple:

    be a man, scrape the sticker off, and drop it.

    there is nothing leo can do about it as there is nothing criminal.
    Last edited by luckydog; 04-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.

  19. #19
    Noochy
    deputynooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    127
    Luckydog +10
    "The handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    miked6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by VWJetta View Post
    Hey guys,

    The maintanence guy for the management company put a big orange 'No Parking' sticker on my drivers side rear window for parking 'infront of a walkway.' I tried to remove the sticker but it tore immediately and won't come off without scratching the glass. Now I have some history with this guy, he's got some serious self-esteem issues and he tries to enforce the condo rules as if it were his job. He's gave me crap before, accused me of throwing my cigarettes on the ground next to the stairs and threatened to get me evicted for it (he had no basis for his accusations, they weren't even the same brand cigs that I smoke!) I simply told him to F*** off and he stormed out of his truck and got in my face. Fortunately my friend, (who lives above me) and a Boston PO, saw the whole thing and came right out to break it up. He told the guy to leave and he left. A few days later my Dad approached him and told him "If you have a problem with my son, don't say a word to him, just call me and I'll take care of it." "It will only make matters worse as you two clearly don't like each other." "Thank you."

    There were a couple more incidents involving a satelite dish that I had and a cat (that wasn't mine but someone abandoned it when they moved out who lived in our building) but I'll spare you the details.

    Anyways, last night when I arrived home from work around 2am I noticed that there wasn't any spaces in our parking lot. I pay for 2 parking spaces and the maintanence of the parking lot as part of my condo fee. I parked to the right of the walkway on the dirt where people always park if the lot is full. I awoke this morning around 930am and went out for a morning smoke. Right away I noticed a large orange sticker on my car and went over to move my car to an empty parking space (most people left for work.) When I saw the maintanence guy a few minutes later I asked him to remove the sticker, as I couldn't get it off. He gives me attitude and tells me "Well you should've thought of that before you parked there, you're lucky the the wrecker hasn't shown up yet to tow it." I ask him again, nicely, to remove the sticker. He snickers, mocks me and tells me to "Go cry to Daddy." I then asked him if he had contacted the Chief of Police or his designee and he laughs at me again and says "No, why would I do that?" Obviously I didn't give him an answer. There is no sign that says that you cannot park where I parked either and I've never been told that I cannot park there either.

    Now, since he's been a complete ***** to me since the day I moved in, is there anything I can do about this? I cannot stand this guy, he's clearly got self-esteem issues and tries to boost it by trying to enforce the property rules on me when he's merely a maintanence guy. I legally cannot drive with this sticker on my window (it's non-transparent which is a MV and can get me a ticket) and I did not give him permission to put it there and I don't want it there(and I can't get it off.) Is this Vandalism and if so how would I go about pressing charges?

    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-126a.htm

    CHAPTER 266. CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY


    Chapter 266: Section 126A. Defacement of real or personal property; penalties; suspension of driver’s license


    Section 126A. Whoever intentionally, willfully and maliciously or wantonly, paints, marks, scratches, etches or otherwise marks, injures, mars, defaces or destroys the real or personal property of another including but not limited to a wall, fence, building, sign, rock, monument, gravestone or tablet, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for a term of not more than three years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two years or by a fine of not more than fifteen hundred dollars or not more than three times the value of the property so marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and fine, and shall also be required to pay for the removal or obliteration of such painting, marking, scratching or etching, or to remove or obliterate such painting, marking, scratching or etching; provided, however, that when a fine is levied pursuant to the value of the property marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed or when the cost of removal or obliteration is assessed, the court shall, after conviction, conduct an evidentiary hearing to ascertain the value of the property so marked, injured, marred, defaced or destroyed or to ascertain the cost of the removal or obliteration. A police officer may arrest any person for commission of the offenses prohibited by this section without a warrant if said police officer has probable cause to believe that said person has committed the offenses prohibited by this section.

    Upon conviction for said offense the individual’s driver’s license shall be suspended for one year. If the individual convicted of defacing or vandalizing the real or personal property of another is under the age of sixteen then one year shall be added to the minimum age eligibility for driving.



    Thanks guys,
    VWJetta

    P.S He admitted to putting the sticker on my car and he put his signature on it.
    The guy might be a power junky, but you agree to certain rules when you sign the lease. It is private property, and he actually could have had your vehicle towed if you were in Georgia.
    "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

  21. #21
    My work is done here
    Chiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    5,557
    Quote Originally Posted by VWJetta View Post
    but I'll spare you the details.




    "Go cry to Daddy."

    Please spare all the details and he does have a point with that...I'm more than willing to bet you instigate most of it so just grow a sack and deal with it...now go scrape the sticker and shut it
    Just shut your damn hole




    Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    tripledouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    333
    You can use a razor blade. It won't scratch the glass. They are used to remove registration and inspection stickers in other states.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    VWJetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Essex County, MA
    Posts
    100
    I was able to get the sticker off with the Goo Gone stuff when I went to my parents house the other day. My Dad had a bottle of it in the garage. Came off pretty easily with the Goo Gone.

    I realize now that the law I posted was for private ways. I'm not sure if the parking lots are actually private ways or if their private property. I'm pretty sure they are private ways because there's no assigned parking spots and there are no parking stickers or anything. I also haven't seen any no trespassing signs. My neighbor was telling me last night that pretty much anyone can park here. Here's the satelite from google maps of the area.

    Last edited by VWJetta; 04-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    fedguy889's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    Please spare all the details and he does have a point with that...I'm more than willing to bet you instigate most of it so just grow a sack and deal with it...now go scrape the sticker and shut it
    +1,000

    Starting to sound like the Rent A Center fiasco all over again...
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

  25. #25
    Halt Politie
    miami-k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,061
    Check out this site. Rather than be mature you could go the other route. Its at least more entertaining.

    http://www.prankplace.com/bumper.htm

    warning, if you are one of those sensitive types, do not click on the link. Crass, rude, and slightly vulgar stuff. But funny in context.
    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register