Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By topdog1

Thread: texas civil service test

Forum Member

texas civil service test

I am an officer from Wisconsin (11 years +) can anyone tell me what the civil service test is like. What would be on it and what to expect.

Forum Member
    I have yet to take one, but I believe they very department to department. Is there any one department your are interested in?

Forum Member

There is a test that is given by TCLEOSE or the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Training and Education. You must be ceritified by them in order to be a Peace Officer. On top of that, most larger departments have their own test. I know that in my academy we had our academy final, covering material such as department policy and procedures. We then had to take the TCLEOSE exam to be certified by the State. By passing the TCLEOSE exam you are licensed by the State, but you have no enforcement powers until you are hired on and commissioned by an Agency. You can find examples of the TCLEOSE test here:

http://www.texaspolicecentral.com/practice_tests.html

Forum Member

I took a civil service exam about 4 years ago. Nothing to worry about. It had basic math, some reading copmprehension, some memory stuff. Nothing bad.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    As someone already mentioned, there is no Texas specific civil service exam. There is a state specific licensing exam and then each department can set their own entry standards. You would have to contact TCLEOSE to see exactly what you need to do to become Texas certified. It use to be that if an out of state officer had the same or higher training as the Texas requirements, all you had to do was take the state test. But that has changed.

After that some agencies have an application and interview only, some have a written test only, and others have a very long difficult process. But only the particular agencies whose cities have voted in civil service are civil service agencies. Texas unlike some other states is not set up as civil service. Most agencies here are at-will employment agencies. In Texas each department has to set up and have civil service voted in by the voters. There are some small agencies that are civil service, while some larger ones aren't.

But the places that do have a civil service test just have basic reading, writing, and arithmetic on them.
    Last edited by SOI; 04-13-2008 at 09:08 AM.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Oops, duplicate post.

Forum Member

ok then

thanks all Im aware of the TECLOSE testing as I am doing the shorten version as I am a certified officer in Wisconsin. I was jsut wondering what they mean in job post that the department is civil service. Maybe Im misunderstaning what is being said. Im looking at Plano Mckinney, any where really in Dallas Metro area. Im shocked by the hiring processes down here, we have high standards in Wisconsin but the hiring process is not as in depth as they are down in Texas. WOW!!! I can see why there are so many openings.
    DevilDawg0311 likes this.

Forum Member
    Civil service refers to the type of employment rights you have.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
    I was jsut wondering what they mean in job post that the department is civil service.
    Here is some reading on civil service.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes....000143.00.htm

It will explain what it means. Most agencies in Texas are NOT civil service.

Forum Member

next question

Thanks all. Are the written test harder at a civil service department? Or is it what ever the department wants to put on there tests. Im still learning this process.

Tmg
    Forum Member

civil service tests are easy. Basic Math English and writing skills.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time