Forum Member

Kentucky Probation and Parole??

Anybody know anything about this job? I'm somewhat interested in it but know very little about the agency. I know what their job is but what is morale like? Are they allowed to carry guns? Do they get cars? Anything anyone can tell me I would appreciate it.

Series 0083
    They use Kawasawki Motorcycles and are issued Remington 870 12 Gauge Shotgun only.

Forum Member
    Go to the State website and search by the Dept. Ignore the above post.
    DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Forum Member

The website will give you all the answers, but the last time I heard about it, they did get guns and used there pov's getting a mileage reimbursement. Not 100 % sure though.

Forum Member
    I did this job for a year and I can tell you that morale depends on which district you work in. I happened to work in a jerk off district with a crappy supervisor. Other than that-it's a decent job. You are sworn and get 20yr retirement. Most of the job is paperwork-court-fieldwork-in that order.

I enjoy doing what I do now but would consider going back to a diferent district.

Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Thanks, that does help. What is the process for getting hired (I found very little info on the website)? Is there a background check? Is it tough to get hired? What's a typical day like? Also when you say sworn, that doesn't mean you have full arrest powers does it? I was under the impression that you could only arrest your "clients". Thanks again!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopkinsvilleKY View Post
    Thanks, that does help. What is the process for getting hired (I found very little info on the website)? Is there a background check? Is it tough to get hired? What's a typical day like? Also when you say sworn, that doesn't mean you have full arrest powers does it? I was under the impression that you could only arrest your "clients". Thanks again!!
    You apply from the state website. The agency confirms your 4 yr degree and you get placed on a list of the counties that you would work. You get interviewed, a background gets done, you get an offer, you give a urine specimen, you get a report date and you begin your office training. It covers all of the policies that you must follow. A computer based training course is done, you observe and go to court, sit in on report days with other officers etc. Eventually you go to one of the regional training centers for basic. 2 weeks of basic peace officer skills and course segments on law etc. You will be sworn in by a circuit court judge.

By law, you have the authority to make any lawfull arrest-but policy is that you only handle probationers and parolees. Besides, you will have enough action managing your caseload and court!! Nothing wrong with assisting a police officer or detective along the way. It is a team effort.

Your training will continue and you may attend any courses offered plus we often got invites from Louisville Metro.

That is as brief as I can be. It's not the same as being a police officer-it is more like an investigative position. It does have it's perks. All about gathering intel on your clients and checking things out, providing any info to the police-and they often give you ALL kinds of info about your clients. lol

My work day always started with my phone messages, followed by my day planner of court cases, handling any walk in criminals from court, doing field work etc. I spent a lot of time making arrests and transporting for fellow officers.

Not a glory filled job but it was what you made of it.

Forum Member

Static-

How long did it take for you to get offered or receive your report date after your initial interview? Also what is the pay like? College loans are a huge burden so salary is weighing heavily on my mind.

Forum Member

Not Static, but on the Probation and Parole website it says that you would start out around $28,000 maybe a little more. I'm know Static has better info than me but thought I would share would I have seen.

I got one for you too Static, how difficult is the background process? I'm not all that worried about my background, just curious as to how strict they are on things. Thanks.

Forum Member

Wink

Sorry I have been away for a bit.....

Starting pay for P&P Officers is grade 12 under the hazardous retirement system. It can be found somewhere at the personnel website. I know what you mean about student loans, I will be paying on mine for years to come.

The background is not as stringent as it could be, I am comparing it to the state police background I have gone through recently. My KSP background made my Jefferson County Corrections background seem kind of lame. I do not think they do legwork on you, they may call your refferences or may not. They DO check ncic and do a courtnet check, maybe call previous employers and definately do a drug screen. Your education must be verified. I was told by my personnel contact that the state personnel cabinet must now do background checks on everyone that is being offered a position. Even if a KSP Trooper transfers to KVE-a background check must be done by this NON law enforcement agency. Crazy huh??

There is no polygraph, or physical fitness test etc. I think there should be but maybe one day. I did have to get a medical screen by my own doctor.

It is a good gig if you can get past the desk jockey paperwork karma that comprises much of your time. You get to work with a lot of agencies and see the pros and cons of their jobs. It made me appreciate the luxuries I had as an officer. It is more investigative in nature but has the perks of hitting the streets. You will have more than your fair share of criminals to go after-so I never wished I was a beat cop. Not to mention-day shift and weekends off. Flex time to work at night. Holidays with the family.

Forum Member
    Not Static, but on the Probation and Parole website it says that you would start out around $28,000 maybe a little more. I'm know Static has better info than me but thought I would share would I have seen.

I got one for you too Static, how difficult is the background process? I'm not all that worried about my background, just curious as to how strict they are on things. Thanks.
    I went through the academy with a retired police captain from your town. Heck of a good guy. I would say that you should stop by the local office and speak with an officer. It couldn't hurt.

Forum Member
    Well, it looks like I talked myself into going back to P&P. I start July 1st.

Forum Member

What's making you want to go back to P & P?

Forum Member
    What's making you want to go back to P & P?

I'm tired of working nights and weekends, tired of sitting in a car getting constipated. lol

Besides, I just got my superhero suit drycleaned..

Forum Member

Does anybody know if my degree has to be completely done before I can apply. I'm a college senior, will be graduating in May, and was going to go ahead and apply in January or February so that I hopefully have a job when I graduate.

Forum Member
    Does anybody know if my degree has to be completely done before I can apply. I'm a college senior, will be graduating in May, and was going to go ahead and apply in January or February so that I hopefully have a job when I graduate.
    I think you may be able to. I'm not sure, call and ask a counselor. It does take a while to get hired and it doesn't hurt to meet some officers and get your name out there.

Forum Member

Static, I looked on the website and I couldn't find a phone number or email address so that I could contact a counselor. Could you send me in the right direction?