Forum Member

Challenging the tcleose exam?

I was told by tcleose that I can challenge the exam since I have a BA. They said I take four classes at a community college and then take the test and I'm certified. Anyone have any experience with this? How hard is it to get a job if you did not go through an actual academy? Thanks guys.

Forum Member
    wouldnt you want to go through an academy before you become a LEO? I mean do you want to try to arrest someone w/o knowing proper arrest procedures or defensive tactics?

Forum Member
    Another thing to think about. You may end up spending as much time and money taking the required courses from a CC as it would cost you to go through an academy. I know that in my area there are several academies that offer night academies for people who have full time jobs and are trying to get into LE.

Quote Originally Posted by c3troop View Post
    I was told by tcleose that I can challenge the exam since I have a BA. They said I take four classes at a community college and then take the test and I'm certified. Anyone have any experience with this? How hard is it to get a job if you did not go through an actual academy? Thanks guys.
    Certified just means that you passed the TCLEOSE exam. However...you are not a sworn officer. No PD in the state of Texas will take the risk/liability of taking a person who has never attended a law enforcement academy.
    Last edited by Texas_Narc; 03-22-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: edited

Forum Member
    Yeah I used to work for the Federal Government so I know all the procedures. I spoke with a few depts that told me they would hire me being certified. But only a couple that I have spoken to said they would so I'm still leery about it. And the cost of the class is a grand, not bad compared to the est 5 of capcog.

Forum Member
    Where are you located? The academies in the San Angelo and Midland/Odessa areas cost around $1500.

Forum Member
    I'll be moving just north of Austin. So the Round Rock/Georgetown area.

DAL
    Texas is pretty loose. I understand that one time you did not even have to take the exam if you were a member of the Texas Bar.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I was Security Forces in the AF and I had to take the Texas Supplemental Peace Officer Course before I could take the exam. I know that if you are certified out of state then you can challenge the exam. The laws in this state are quite a bit different than in most states. I would suggest taking the online version of the supplement course. If you were to do that then you would have a pretty good understanding of how our laws work. It does not cost that much either. As long as you have experience of the "hands-on" mechanics of the career. I partially agree with bell4fan. Then again, I do not know of your experience with the procedures.
    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Forum Member

ACC peace officer sequence courses

Austin Community College offers the Peace Officer Sequence courses. While it's not traditional academy setting, you still get the training (defensive tactics, felony stops, handcuffing, firearms, pursuit driving, etc.) TCLEOSE deems necessary. The courses focus on peace officer skills, law, and procedures.

I'm enrolling in the courses this summer and plan to take the TCLEOSE this december. I worked as a police officer in another state, but TCLEOSE requires at least 1 year of experience after you completed an academy in another state.

The ACC program offers the courses in the evening, too. Since you are moving to RR, it would be convenient for you, because the courses are offered up north at Cedar Park.

I agree with the other posters that just because you have a BA doesn't qualify you to 'challenge' the TCLEOSE. However, you're not really challenging the exam, because you're going to have to either go to an academy, or do the sequence courses before you can take the exam.

Most of the departments I've talked to said that they would accept the ACC program as long as I have the TCLEOSE basic certificate. However, these are the same departments that require the TCLEOSE before you can apply. Since they're not willing to pay for applicants to go the academy, I guess they can't be too picky about how or where you got the license.

here is my question, lets say you take a basic academy but not the exam, no dept can hire you because you are NOT TCLOSE cetified according to TCLOSE

Do you not get a certifcate upon passing the exam?

In reality is it not the examine that is required in order to be hired, in essense the exam is saying you are qualified to be a Police Officer.

After completion of the academy you get an endorsement letter from TCLEOSE. That endorsement letter allows you to take the TCLEOSE exam. Once you complete the exam, if you pass, then you are licensed.
    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

I finished school yesterday and plan to test in a week or so.

well after some paperwork problems with tcleose, I am taking the test on may 2nd. wish me luck.

Thanks for all the well wishes...

Good luck!

passed with a 81

Quote Originally Posted by shlsmv View Post
    passed with a 81
    Good Job!

Good luck with your search....

thank you.