Forum Member

What is the Ohio tint law?!?!

I always thought the Ohio tint law was 50% in the driver/passenger front windows, and ANY percentage in the rear and rear passengers. Also, multiple websites I've found seem to support this:
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/
    http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/OH/

However, a friend of mine thought it was 50% all around?

I'm looking to get my windows tinted this spring, but I do NOT want to go illegal. Especially since I'm looking to start a career in LE. (Crim Justice major)

Thanks for the help!

Forum Member
    Rear windows can be whatever as long as it is factory installed.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by car9cop View Post
    Rear windows can be whatever as long as it is factory installed.
    What is the law say then if there is no factory tint? Can you tint??

Note: I was planning on getting 50% in the front and 38% in the rears. I have NO factory tint on my car.

1.) Is this illegal?
    2.) Would I ever run into problems with this?

Forum Member
    I don't have my ORC with me at the moment so I will get back to you. I know Ohio State Troopers are pretty strict on it. It will prolly vary from department to department.

Forum Member
    Found all this this morning. This must have JUST changed though:

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsequipment.htm

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-41-03
    (specifically paragraph (4)).

50% in front, any percentage in rear as long as side views mirrors are there

Forum Member
    back and rear windows can be as dark as you'd like, even limo tint, doesnt matter if it's factory or after market.

Can someone driving with out of state plates and an out of state license driving in ohio be ticketed for illegal window tint?

Probation Violation ;)
    Yes, especially if you are from Michigan.

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg1742 View Post
    Found all this this morning. This must have JUST changed though:

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsequipment.htm

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-41-03
    (specifically paragraph (4)).

50% in front, any percentage in rear as long as side views mirrors are there
    This was a recent topic at a roll call and this is what we were told. The ORC does not specify tint limits, however the Ohio Department of Public Safety states in their Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws handbook that:

"Window Tinting - The acceptable percentages of light transmission for motor vehicles are:

• Windshield - The tinting must allow 70 percent light transmission. This level is equivalent to the amount installed as standard equipment of most new cars.

• Front seat driver/passenger side windows - The tinting must allow 50 percent transmission, plus or minus three percent. Motorists can call their local Highway Patrol Post for the location of the nearest motor vehicle inspection team to see if their windows comply with the law. Violation of the law is considered a minor misdemeanor, with fines up to $100."

Just remember that your vehicle comes from the factory with a certain level of tint on the windows already.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACO88 View Post
    Can someone driving with out of state plates and an out of state license driving in ohio be ticketed for illegal window tint?
    I suppose it is possible depending on the agency, however the ORC states that:

"(C) No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is registered in this state unless the motor vehicle conforms to the requirements of this section and of any applicable rule adopted under this section."

I would think you would have a good case if you contested it.

Forum Member
    I don't want to derail this thread but I've been meaning to ask this question. Whenever anyone in my family drives down I-75 to Florida it's always said "watch out for the Ohio State Troopers, they'll get ya if you're driving three over and have a Michigan Plate."

Quote Originally Posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
    Yes, especially if you are from Michigan.
    Now this comment above was stated. Is there a sort of animousity towards Michiganders from Ohio LE? And is it because Ohio State Troopers constantly see people from up north blast through above Ohio's 65 mph highway speed zones? (which really need to be changed btw )

Quote Originally Posted by Melson View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread but I've been meaning to ask this question. Whenever anyone in my family drives down I-75 to Florida it's always said "watch out for the Ohio State Troopers, they'll get ya if you're driving three over and have a Michigan Plate."

No has nothing to do with the speed limit. We Buckeye's just don't like those people from up north very much and wish they would stay in their own state and not taint our soil with their presence, especially during football season!
    Go Bucks!

Now this comment above was stated. Is there a sort of animousity towards Michiganders from Ohio LE? And is it because Ohio State Troopers constantly see people from up north blast through above Ohio's 65 mph highway speed zones? (which really need to be changed btw )

Oh and as for the tint thing do what they all do in court. "Your honor I bought the car that way and I didn't know!" lol