Forum Member

Driving with a cast on your leg

Is it illegal to drive an automatic with a cast on your *left* leg? This is assuming you drive with your right leg, and the left leg is not used to control the car.

As long as you can control your vehicle, its legal.

Forum Member
    Why I asked: I told a friend yesterday that I had continued to drive my car (automatic) after a left ankle injury. I couldn't walk on it, but felt I was safe to drive because I didn't use my left leg for driving so my contorl of the car was not affected.

She told me that it's illegal to drive if you have any leg injury, regardless of your ability to control the car. Further, she stated that if I was in a crash then I would autmoatically take 100% liability because "you shouldn't have been driving".

When I asked if that meant I would be blamed if I got rear-ended at a red light, she said "Yes, any accident is 100% your fault regardless."

I told her I was glad she was not a lawyer... But I have nothing to back up my belief that it's ok as long as the injured leg is not used to drive.

I tore up my ankle, missed a month of work...and I still drove.

I couldn't play basketball for about 6 months, though

Perfectly legal.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Why I asked: I told a friend yesterday that I had continued to drive my car (automatic) after a left ankle injury. I couldn't walk on it, but felt I was safe to drive because I didn't use my left leg for driving so my contorl of the car was not affected.

She told me that it's illegal to drive if you have any leg injury, regardless of your ability to control the car. Further, she stated that if I was in a crash then I would autmoatically take 100% liability because "you shouldn't have been driving".

When I asked if that meant I would be blamed if I got rear-ended at a red light, she said "Yes, any accident is 100% your fault regardless."

I told her I was glad she was not a lawyer... But I have nothing to back up my belief that it's ok as long as the injured leg is not used to drive.
    Another great example of some of the wild rumors you hear. As noted, as long as you can safely operate the vehicle, there is no problem. You're good to go.

Forum Member
    Who actually uses their left foot in an automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by JDCOP View Post
    Some people keep their left foot lightly on the brake pedal. You will know them if you're following and the brake lights keep coming on every time they hit a bump.

Bad practice.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Quote Originally Posted by JDCOP View Post
    Sometimes I do... on accident, and ONLY when getting in the car (I'm looking for a clutch, so I try to slam the brake pedal to the floor) . That's when I realize I'm in an automatic... then I actually have to concentrate on not doing that while I'm driving.

On a more serious note, one of my ex-girlfriend's dad lost his right foot in a motorcycle accident. He has a wooden prosthetic foot (very intimidating when he was walking on a hardwood floor as he was a HUGE guy), thus he has no feeling in the foot. He would use his left foot to operate the gas/brake pedals. Once he got used to it, he said, his driving was as normal as any other driver.