Forum Member

How can you tell a tweaker?

Hello to all LEO's and as always a huge thank you for what you do. I have a question concerning tweakers, or druggies in general, I am currently working doing High speed internet connections in a very bad part of town, plenty of baggies, used hypodermic needles laying around, I do carry my Glock 22 with me and I do have a CCW, my question is this, I am always being approcahed by less than desirable people, asking for money, and asking ton's of questions etc...some I can tell are drunk or stoned, they are usually very mellow...I worry about the tweakers from meth, heroin etc....what should I look for when these people approach me?...it's a bit un nerving, but my job only last for 3 more weeks....any tips to spotting these folks?...Thanks again for all you do

Your Daddy
    Start at the Pacific and drive east til you lose teeth and hear banjos
    OK Tweaker 101 is now in session.

The average American tweaker is constantly nervous and sweaty (even when it's cold and he's only wearing a wife beater). If his shirt is off, he will commonly have pimples (speed bumps) all over his back and possibly the chest. He is missing a bunch of teeth. He smells like s***, has dirty feet and lives in Rubidoux (or any place with a lot of trailer parks in your neck of the woods). They commonly carry broken flashlights or bicycle parts in their pockets. If you see one driving, the car will be a total bucket that smells worse than the tweaker. The women tweakers (hags) will closely resemble the men. Some even look like men. Most have extensive criminal records and will probably be on parole.

Now on a more serious note Meth really jacks people up. It has a habit of making people paranoid and violent. Make sure you carry good rounds in your pistola.

The hypes (horoin junkies) are usually not a problem. When using, they are always fighting the nod. They look like they're asleep when they are fully awake and alert. Hypes are not usually violent. Most homeless people usually become hypes.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, I see them types all day, and I carry 140gr corbons just hope I never have to use them

Your Daddy
    Start at the Pacific and drive east til you lose teeth and hear banjos
    If you do, just make every hit count.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

6205 days and a wake-up!
    You might want to consider carrying a less than lethal weapon as well. If OC is allowed, you might want to get some. A good shot of OC in the face will stop most folks. For those it doesnt stop, it should give you enough time to make an escape. Just make sure you are upwind and the hole on the cap is pointed 180 degrees away from you.
    Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Takes Pride to Wear Brown
    Something else to look for on meth addicts is they chew.....

well.......they just chew, I would imagine it's because their jaws are being rotted off from the chemicals, but yea. Also, meth users tend to lose weight rapidly just like crack users. The body doesn't get taken care of and nutrients and such aren't given to the body and they lose weight.

Should someone get close enough that you can see their eyes and their eyes are "bouncing" or "shaking" start making friends with them real fast until you are able to get away from them. You've wandered into PCP land and it could get bad really fast.

Forum Member

The Meth users will be pumped up. They have a hard time standing still. They have to be moving in some way, hands, feet,and eyes. Their eyes will be very darty. When you see one you will know what he is on, there is no mistaking it.
    Some are very desperate, so do not trust them for a second and they can be very violent.

We have seen a huge decrease in meth use in Indiana. At least in the area I work in. The state limited access to certain precursors and it has really helped. Meth is a very bad. I have attended some classes on the subject. They say that it is so addictive that some people will never be able to shack the addiction. Sad. Sorry if I am rambling.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ujocka View Post
    A good shot of OC in the face will stop most folks. For those it doesnt stop, it should give you enough time to make an escape.
    Gonna have to disagree on this one if he's worried about tweaked out junkies in particular. People who are raving due to mental imbalance, chemically or 'naturally,' don't react to OC like normal folks do. At least that's been my experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Gonna have to disagree on this one if he's worried about tweaked out junkies in particular. People who are raving due to mental imbalance, chemically or 'naturally,' don't react to OC like normal folks do. At least that's been my experience.
    Same here. Now the Taser, thats a different story!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bully View Post
    OK Tweaker 101 is now in session.

The average American tweaker is constantly nervous and sweaty (even when it's cold and he's only wearing a wife beater). If his shirt is off, he will commonly have pimples (speed bumps) all over his back and possibly the chest. He is missing a bunch of teeth. He smells like s***, has dirty feet and lives in Rubidoux (or any place with a lot of trailer parks in your neck of the woods). They commonly carry broken flashlights or bicycle parts in their pockets. If you see one driving, the car will be a total bucket that smells worse than the tweaker. The women tweakers (hags) will closely resemble the men. Some even look like men. Most have extensive criminal records and will probably be on parole.

Now on a more serious note Meth really jacks people up. It has a habit of making people paranoid and violent. Make sure you carry good rounds in your pistola.

The hypes (horoin junkies) are usually not a problem. When using, they are always fighting the nod. They look like they're asleep when they are fully awake and alert. Hypes are not usually violent. Most homeless people usually become hypes.
    Excellent decription. May I add "meth breath"...once you've smelled it you'll never forget it (due to their rotting teeth and gums). And of course...they LOVE to take stuff apart but never put it back together...always the sign of a tweaker on a 5 - 6 day run. Can't count how many dope hits and probation/parole searches we've done where you can barely walk in the trailer due to disassembled stereos, radios, engines, etc. (laying of course amongst the dog feces, dirty clothes, used condoms, and the rotting remains of fast food) Oh, such a lovely scene!! Thank you Vicks Vapo Rub!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    I don't think it's all that different. It's a single-shot weapon, and not for deadly force encounters. If you miss, then your options are very limited.

Heroin addicts are pretty mellow when they're well, but when they're trying to get high they will do almost anything. Not usually violent, but I wouldn't put violence past them.

Meth is cheap and easy to obtain. So it's not generally to get the drug that they resort to violence, it's the nature of the drug that causese it. I can smell meth on a person (and it's not just their teeth) just like I can smell alcohol on people who have been drinking a lot the night before. It comes out in the sweat. It's a prevailing odor, and if you smell it you won't forget it.

Those party drugs, like Ecstacy (SP?) I don't know about how the after affects are, but they don't seem to lead to violence when they're using them. It's a form of methamphetamine, though, so I suppose it could. I think it is chemically MethylDioximemMethamphetamine. Used to be called MDMA before it became popular. Users will chew on baby pacifiers when high on it as it causes jaw-muscle spasms. A guy or girl with a pacifier around their neck is likely announcing they are a user. And of course the methamphetamine action manifests itself in dancing or paryting or whatever.

Absent that way of letting off energy, I don't know what it would do, nor know of anyone who does it outside the party atmosphere.

This is one of those "designer drugs" which were designed to get around the Controlled Substance Act. Amphetamine has been illegal for a long time, so they put a methyl molecule in it and changed it to something different and legal, until the courts caught up and passed legislation.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

DENIED!
    they never hit the floor!

They do the tweek dance and get about 4 inches from the floor and get back to posture and start over!

its a sight to see.

Forum Member

Thank you to everyone who responded, some of you spoke of the smell, I have noticed they all smell like zippo lighters...not sure why, but thats what it smells like to me...and they always want to get really close when talking to you....disgusting.....hopefully I will never have to get in a confrontation, but thank you all for your advice and wisdom, very much appreciated. Take care and be safe, and as always, Thank you for what you do

Last edited by Huey County; 08-05-2009 at 02:33 AM.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    I sprayed a guy tweaking hard one day with OC. He opened his mouth and told me how much he loved it. I emptied the entire bottle on him with no effect...he basically drank it. In fact, I can't think of any tweaker I have OC'd that was affected by it...I stopped using it long ago.

I've had occassion to Tase a few too, all but one with good results.
    Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncgsdguy View Post
    Thank you to everyone who responded, some of you spoke of the smell, I have noticed they all smell like zippo lighters...not sure why, but thats what it smells like to me...and they always want to get really close when talking to you....disgusting.....hopefully I will never have to get in a confrontation, but thank you all for your advice and wisdom, very much appreciated. Take care and be safe, and as always, Thank you for what you do
    It is common for them to smell like chemicals. It's not from the lighter though, it's from the Drano, Acetone, diesel fuel, and other crap that make that stuff out of
    Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Deputy Sheriff
    How can you tell a tweaker?

By the way they tweak.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

OTJ for awhile now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncgsdguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I see them types all day, and I carry 140gr corbons just hope I never have to use them
    Ponder switching to Federal HST in 165.
    Last edited by Sgt. Geezer; 03-13-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member

The smell is your first easy clue, along with other stereotypes, seriously.
    Do what you must to go home at the end of the night!