Page 14 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about the Philadelphia Police Academy

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CityTrashman View Post
    You should of just paid the ticket....and been done with it.
    Yeah, I'm fighting it because I'm honestly innocent and don't want it on my record. I've gotten a lawyer and everything. If I wasn't trying to get into LE I probably would have payed it and forgot about it but I don't want to have to explain something that I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetweis View Post
    Yeah, I'm fighting it because I'm honestly innocent and don't want it on my record. I've gotten a lawyer and everything. If I wasn't trying to get into LE I probably would have payed it and forgot about it but I don't want to have to explain something that I never did.

You are going to have to explain it anyway,if you win or not. If I may ask what was the ticket for ?
    " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CityTrashman View Post
    You are going to have to explain it anyway,if you win or not. If I may ask what was the ticket for ?
    PMed

Paying the ticket isn't always the solution. If its a ticket that can cause a suspension he really doesn't have much of a choice then to fight it.

Now I don't know Steve's situation but it brings up a very good point to remember. When you go out there you probably are going to want to do as much as possible to impress basically everyone. One of those things is going to be writing tickets. (Everytime there is a new class there always seems to be a surge of tickets)
    Keep in mind that there is room for discretion in some cases. You don't have to write every person and every MVC violation. There are some people that are hard working decent people out there too. Keep them in mind when writing. If someone is a jerk to you, its fair game. A warning can work just as well to the guy that might have just got off a 16 hour shift at 2 am and his headlight just burned out.

Another thing is don't just write a ticket to write a ticket. Write a good ticket. Its a reflection of YOU. All your paperwork shoud be written that way. Your tickets and paperwork might become a part of evidence and you don't want to look like an idiot in front of a judge, jury and lawyers that will tear you to shreads!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetweis View Post
    Went today, I'd estimate another 600 or even more. They had us lined up outside in the pouring rain and called out a couple things..
    Used Marijuana in the past 6 months
    Restraining orders
    Open court cases
    etc..
    Those people had to get out of line. Unfortunately, I was one of "those" people. I'm fighting a ticket I got. My court date would have been Thursday where I could have just payed the fine and it would've been over with, but I'm innocent of the charges. I had to take myself out of the process. They told me to call back when the issue was resolved to reopen my case.
    crap. If thats true then I should have been there, but I NEVER got a postcard in the mail.

I guess I'll call them Monday morning and find out for sure. If I got missed somehow, I had better not be screwed.

Forum Member
    Can any Philly Officers tell me the salary schedule? Are there certain areas in Philly that you would recommend that a recruit look for housing?

Forum Member

Smile

Hey all... so to answer someones question I was told that they had called the next 500 from the list so at this point I believe they should be to about 1400. As far as looking for places in the City to live I know where I live it is very populated with Police and Fire (Mayfair) and so is Somerton.

Forum Member
    Mjcek, I'm ranked 1081 and I never received the blue card that was sent out.
    If it weren't for this forum I would have never been aware of this past orientation. I called the recruitment office and they said I should have received it. They had my correct address on file so I don't know what happened there. I live in Virginia btw. I tried to register so I could inform you but apparently it takes a few days before you can post. I think they went up to 1500.

When it comes to housing it depends on your circumstances. What can you afford? Are you single? Married? Selling a house to buy a house? Looking for an apartment?

For people moving out of state that are SINGLE maybe you want to try to hook up with someone that needs a roomate. Maybe a fellow new recruit? Maybe you can post something about looking for someone to share expenses with for at least a year?

There are PLENTY of realtors around if you are looking for something but it depends on budget and your circumstances and what kind of area you want to live in.

If you want to post it here or pm can try to help.

Salary and Benefits

The City of Philadelphia offers an exceptionally competitive entry-level salary and benefits package. As a police officer's career progresses longevity pay raises accrue and opportunities for advancement become available. Please take a moment to review the benefits outline we've provided. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Recruitment Unit for additional information.

Salary
    The current yearly salary for a Police Officer Recruit in the Police Academy is $39,251 ($1,503.87 bi-weekly). After graduating the academy as a Police Officer, you receive a pay increase to $41,974 ($1,608.20 bi-weekly). There are scheduled increases in pay to the present maximum of $54,513 a year (2,088.62 bi-weekly). Overtime is paid at the level of time and a half. There are excellent opportunities for promotion, which will result in a corresponding raise in salaries. Police Officers are paid biweekly, salary does not included your annual uniform allowance, or holiday time.

MOST answers can be found on the PPD site or tell you where to call.

http://www.ppdonline.org/career/

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcvann23 View Post
    Can any Philly Officers tell me the salary schedule? Are there certain areas in Philly that you would recommend that a recruit look for housing?
    Ok here's a rundown for you of where not to live, Stay away from Kensington, anywhere near Lynnfield, Bridesburg is meh, Port Richmond is meh, Fishtown is meh, stay away from Taconny or anything around Torresdale Ave.

Basically you don't want to live in the 24th, 25th, 35th, or 39th districts. The 15th isn't much better. Mayfair isn't all that great, I live in Mayfair and it's starting to become a ghetto since all the New Yawkers are coming down and buying up all the houses and making them Section 8.

Rhawnhurst is a nice area as is Somerton since it's mostly Russian Jews and Asians that live there and they don't cause trouble... Interesting thing is that Somerton is where the Russian mob is so you don't get much riff raff in there and they don't like any attention drawn to the area even though everyone knows they are their.

As far as South Philly goes the neighborhoods are very ethnic down there so they have their own demographic and problems, the safest place in South Philly is anywhere around Little Italy.

Port Richmond is mostly Polish but the kids down their are punks and tough guys and wanna be gangstas, Bridesburg is largely Irish and well they generally have their own issues unto themselves but both areas are VERY Pro PPD. Fishtown is a mess mostly because it's so close to Kensington and mostly because it's just not a good happy place. Stay out of the city itself prices are ungodly high and unless your a gay yuppy or an art student you won't much fit in.

Then you have Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill, both very nice area's but very pricey, Mt. Airy does have it's large area's that aren't good for anyone but thugs. Spring Garden, Rittenhouse Square and that area are very pricey but unless you are in redeveloped section's you're asking for trouble. Stay away from Strawberry Mansion, Hunting Park, and Cheltenham this is where the largest majority of murders and violent crimes are happening.

All in all Philly is super expensive and most of the area is not exactly safe, there's alot of Section 8 popping up, oh and if you live in a rowhome community forget having any privacy whatsoever.

Forum Member
    Has anyone on here gotten to the MMPI portion of the process? I have that coming up. I need to know where they give the test. What building is the test administered in and what kind of questions can I expect?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo240SX View Post
    Ok here's a rundown for you of where not to live, Stay away from Kensington, anywhere near Lynnfield, Bridesburg is meh, Port Richmond is meh, Fishtown is meh, stay away from Taconny or anything around Torresdale Ave.

Basically you don't want to live in the 24th, 25th, 35th, or 39th districts. The 15th isn't much better. Mayfair isn't all that great, I live in Mayfair and it's starting to become a ghetto since all the New Yawkers are coming down and buying up all the houses and making them Section 8.

Rhawnhurst is a nice area as is Somerton since it's mostly Russian Jews and Asians that live there and they don't cause trouble... Interesting thing is that Somerton is where the Russian mob is so you don't get much riff raff in there and they don't like any attention drawn to the area even though everyone knows they are their.

As far as South Philly goes the neighborhoods are very ethnic down there so they have their own demographic and problems, the safest place in South Philly is anywhere around Little Italy.

Port Richmond is mostly Polish but the kids down their are punks and tough guys and wanna be gangstas, Bridesburg is largely Irish and well they generally have their own issues unto themselves but both areas are VERY Pro PPD. Fishtown is a mess mostly because it's so close to Kensington and mostly because it's just not a good happy place. Stay out of the city itself prices are ungodly high and unless your a gay yuppy or an art student you won't much fit in.

Then you have Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill, both very nice area's but very pricey, Mt. Airy does have it's large area's that aren't good for anyone but thugs. Spring Garden, Rittenhouse Square and that area are very pricey but unless you are in redeveloped section's you're asking for trouble. Stay away from Strawberry Mansion, Hunting Park, and Cheltenham this is where the largest majority of murders and violent crimes are happening.

All in all Philly is super expensive and most of the area is not exactly safe, there's alot of Section 8 popping up, oh and if you live in a rowhome community forget having any privacy whatsoever.
    Well put.

Stay out of the city itself prices are ungodly high and unless your a gay yuppy or an art student you won't much fit in.
    Hmm, that's a bold homophobic comment.

Forum Member
    Is anyone else worried they did not receive notice for the orientation? From my score I thought I should be in the second orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukinbigrich View Post
    Is anyone else worried they did not receive notice for the orientation? From my score I thought I should be in the second orientation.
    What was your score Lukinbigrich?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caz27 View Post
    Has anyone on here gotten to the MMPI portion of the process? I have that coming up. I need to know where they give the test. What building is the test administered in and what kind of questions can I expect?

Thank you.
    The Reading Test, MMPI-2, and Psych Eval steps are all done at the Municipal building 16th floor. As far as the MMPI test itself goes it's a personality/psych eval consisting of 567 questions you answer on the computer, the answers you give are then used by the shrink in your one on one with them to determine if you are mentally, emotionally, and psychologically sound for police duty. They ask everything from do you love your mother/father and then 50 questions later they will ask if you hate your mother/father, all the way to have you ever wished you were the opposite sex, have you ever thought about stealing something. and they will rephrase several of the questions multiple times to catch you in a lie or in a series of inconsistencies. just pay attention and don't rush through it and you should be fine.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    Hmm, that's a bold homophobic comment.
    Are you saying I'm wrong, b/c from what I've seen of the Old City district and the surrounding areas of South Street Philadelphia has a very large yuppy gay community.

Forum Member
    Not sure of my exact score but I was in the 1,800's for my ranking.

Are you saying I'm wrong, b/c from what I've seen of the Old City district and the surrounding areas of South Street Philadelphia has a very large yuppy gay community.
    This is very true, nice areas though. But rent for something nice will be at least 1600. Anything lower it will be a hole in the wall. Townhomes can hit the millions in the some areas. I don't think it is worth it though everyone is snooty range rover driving yuppies and there are too many tourists trampling through the area.

Forum Member
    By far the best area for an entry level LEO for Phillly PPD, since you do have to live in the county is the Rhawnhurst, Somerton sections as well as the area on the Bucks County border or the Mont Co border by Jenkintown and Ambler. Homes aren't terribly expensive, you'll have a high number of LEO and CO's as neighbors, the riff raff is at a minimum and you are in close proximity to all major roads so getting to work would be easy, though the Blvd is garbage @ rush hour as are 76 and 676.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukinbigrich View Post
    Im VERY worried. I was in the 1500's, so I expected to be in the 2nd group. Im going to call tomorrow and try and get an answer...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcek View Post
    Im VERY worried. I was in the 1500's, so I expected to be in the 2nd group. Im going to call tomorrow and try and get an answer...
    Let me know what you find out.....I know someone who was in the same range as you and they did not get anything either!

Forum Member
    I scored in the low 1800s for my rank as well .... its funny my friend scored only a single point better than me and is about 400 people ahead of me. So many hopeful recruits this time around wouldnt ya say.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
    Mjcek, I'm ranked 1081 and I never received the blue card that was sent out.
    If it weren't for this forum I would have never been aware of this past orientation. I called the recruitment office and they said I should have received it. They had my correct address on file so I don't know what happened there. I live in Virginia btw. I tried to register so I could inform you but apparently it takes a few days before you can post. I think they went up to 1500.
    so what did they tell you? Are you out of luck?

Page 14 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 ... LastLast