Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Death smell...in pets?

After reading the post below, dogs vs cats, I find there are lots of pet lovers here so I thought I would ask you guys.

We have a small dog, she is 19 years old, blind & deaf. When we give her a bath, she still stinks so my wife went to the vet and ask what we could do. After giving him the details, he said it is a "death smell, it is natures way of telling you she is getting ready to go." So...my question is, have you ever heard of this or is the vet yanking my chain? The dog doesn't appear to be in pain, I hope she goes in her sleep. I just don't want to make that FINAL trip to the vet.
    Thanks.

Presence
    I have never heard of this... And I can't believe the vet would say something like that!! How disturbing! What I would have asked the vet then is, "do you think she's in pain? Suffering? Uncomfortable?" If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, you probably should consider having her put to sleep.

I know that sounds brash, but believe me, I know how you feel. My mom recently put my childhood pet to sleep(who, coincidentally, was also blind and deaf, and 18 years old). I went a few years ago when we took my childhood cat too. I know what you mean by that final trip to the vet. It sucks, but if your pet is ailing, it may be the best thing.

Or, who knows, she may pass peacefully in her sleep... I don't know what would be worse though, taking her to the vet and knowing when it happens, or going to wake her up to take her outside in the morning and finding a cold lifeless body... I think I would be pretty scarred by that

dw1503
    My pets smell like death anyway. I tried to give my hampster, Toad was his name, a bath.... It didnt work out well.

Forum Member
    Just had to put my dog down the week before last, childhood pet. Terrible experience but it was for the best, thats the thing you have to realize in such situations as these...

And the "death smell"? Eh, never heard of it but could it possibly mean that certain internal organs/bodily functions are beginning to deteriorate and fail to the point where basic species maintenance procedures have begun to decrease to the point where they emit some sort of physical, external smell? Possibly...

Cant keep it under 100... Unit453's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjco View Post
    After reading the post below, dogs vs cats, I find there are lots of pet lovers here so I thought I would ask you guys.

We have a small dog, she is 19 years old, blind & deaf. When we give her a bath, she still stinks so my wife went to the vet and ask what we could do. After giving him the details, he said it is a "death smell, it is natures way of telling you she is getting ready to go." So...my question is, have you ever heard of this or is the vet yanking my chain? The dog doesn't appear to be in pain, I hope she goes in her sleep. I just don't want to make that FINAL trip to the vet.
    Thanks.
    I made that 'final' trip for one of my cats a month or so ago. It killed me to do it. He was almost 20 and I've had him for years. Some people can make fun of me all they want but he was part of my family and I loved him. I cried all weekend and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Losing an animal is not easy.

We had a really, really old dog that we felt like had the "death smell" one time. And my family did get it put to sleep shortly after. I think when some organs are failing, a smell can come thru the pores, etc. It can in people, i know that!

JMTX
    Never heard that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    I made that 'final' trip for one of my cats a month or so ago. It killed me to do it. He was almost 20 and I've had him for years. Some people can make fun of me all they want but he was part of my family and I loved him. I cried all weekend and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Losing an animal is not easy.
    Anyone who makes fun of you b/c you love your pet as family is a retard!..I love animals they're better to be around then people (most of the time.)
    C:\Users\RAL\Pictures\cruise ships on port.jpg

JMTX
    I think I'd be tempted to smack someone in the nose for making fun of my critter-kids. After my parents, they are the most important things in my life.

Usually a sharp statement of, "That animal's life is worth a hell of a lot more to me than yours" will shut them up.

My dog is my baby. When at home, she's all i have, and has been for almost 8 years. She means the world to me.

My dog and cats are my kids.

The "death smell" might be a result of organs shutting down. My beloved 18 year old cat, Pouncie died last month of renal failure. Toward the end, her breath was ghastly (only a mother could stand) and her body odor was also bad. The other animals would smell her and immediately walk away.

You will know when the quality of life is compromised. The hardest decision is to MAKE the decision. Don't be selfish...as you owe it to your dog.

I've had many pets and damn it if NONE OF THEM made it easy for me and died in their sleep! It's usually after hours or on a Sunday...when the vets are closed! Pouncie held true to this......

Love em to pieces and would spend a million bucks on them. Unconditional love is priceless.

Good luck.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

I've never heard of that before. My doggy's vet miss diagnosed her. A week later I had to take her to the vet and they put her to sleep.

I was ****ed off at the doctor for week.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

What had happend was!!!! C-Charlie42's Avatar
    My grandparents dog had the death smell. He had incurable cancer in his face and throat and the last few months before they put him down he smelt horrible almost like something rotting but not quite as strong.

Lather it like its stolen CityCopDC's Avatar
    I had 2 ferrets at the same time. Death smelled like roses compared to these 2 dudes and their urine. Anybody who has ever owned a ferret will tell you that urine from a ferret smells like death. Dogs and cats are overrated. Im not a fan of a dog or cat because.......you have to take care of them. Ferrets? Clean their cage and turn them loose. They will find their way back to their cage.
    Last edited by CityCopDC; 03-11-2008 at 06:15 AM.

JMTX
    I used to have a ferret and they are awesome critters!

Lather it like its stolen CityCopDC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMTX View Post
    I used to have a ferret and they are awesome critters!
    Probably the only thing I have EVER agreed with you on....

JMTX
    Mine was named Melog...Way better than a cat , aside from the odor.

Thing used to wrestle with my sheltie (and win!) It was great. He would grab onto his nose and "death roll" him like an alligator,lol.

Unfortunately, he ran away in a most unfortunate mishap and the house I live in now isn't ferret proof

I'm getting another one day though!

Ferrets REAK!!!!

I've had three friends who had them through the years and every friend's house smelled exactly the same!!! UGH! I HATE that smell! Horrible!

I think they're cool little buggers, though. If I had one, I'd let it out so it could run around my place.... that'd be cool..... especially if I could call it by name!
    1*

JMTX
    They do well outside of their cages and potty train easily...They're way better than cats really. Just watch carrying in your groceries...they'll be gone between your feet, out the door, and you won't even notice them gone until an hour later

Do they stink as bad when they're free to roam the house? Just not sure if that smell is the result of them being in confined quarters all day/night or not....
    1*

JMTX
    Their cage is the part that stinks. I never really noticed the ferret itself stinking.

All Sas and Sarcasm! texaschickeee's Avatar
    I have never heard of the death smell, but I know that when they have organ shut down, as well other helth problems they have an odor.

Theones taht have had to let a childhood one go...I had a boston terrier that was almost 12. Kidney failure was the problem.
    I was heartbroken. a week later I got ladybug from a coworker. she is great,
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Quote Originally Posted by cjco View Post

Thanks.
    Been there. My heart goes to you. It sucks loving a small mammal, doesn't it? It really hurts.

I think you vet is getting you ready for imminent heartache. Be strong.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

I've heard of it. The vet was insensitive in putting it that way, though. We have a Great Dane that will turn nine next month. For giant breed dogs, that's getting up there. Last year he stomach flipped and she had bloat. When the emergency vet told us what was going on and how much it would cost, the only thing we asked was how her quality of life would be. Since she was otherwise in good shape, she was good to go. $5k later, she's doing good. I hate to imagine what it would be like without her.

Yup, had a dog who had it....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast