Thread: SAPD Officers

Forum Member

SAPD Officers

Tell me a little bit about working in San Antonio--

My girlfriend's family recently moved, her dad got a pretty decent job at Ken Batchelor.

I'm starting in an academy soon here in Louisiana and am aware that I'll have to go through a new academy if I choose to pursue SAPD. My main goal is to finish my Master's degree before moving and then pursuing federal work later on wherever I land.

The pay seems MUCH better over there.

How are the working conditions?

Forum Member
    It can be a rough city, but they treat their officers very well, and the pay is pretty decent, my advice to you is to not bother with an academy in Louisiana and just finish your masters
    Should have been a hose dragger

Forum Member
    I agree with Donutdestroyer. The department takes care of their people. The new Chief has really done a lot of good for em...
    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Forum Member
    Well, I'm entering a Reserve academy for a local full-function sheriff's office and will get a unit, taser the whole sha bang and go 10-8 whenever I please. Plus, the detail situation is very lucrative down here(1600 member sheriff's office, more details than deputies). Good money while I'm in school.

I'm not planning on leaving until I finish my Master's degree and I haven't even finished my bachelor's....so it will be a few years.

On top of the relatively higher pay, can you work many details to supplement the income (questioning availability)?

Comparing SA to Austin-- I found that Austin makes a decent amount more....more or less the same conditions?

Forum Member
    Austin makes quite a bit more than SAPD. The problem with austin though is their academy dates are kinda fluctuating right now and a lot of folks that I talk to say that they are not sure when the next academy will start due to the change in class sizes. There are always side jobs to make more greenbacks. If you were to speak with one of either agencies recruiters they would be able to give you more detail... I cannot really give you too much info about the departments though because I dont know too much about either agency...even though Im located smack dab in the middle of both of them(geographically)
    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    SAPD is a good organization in general. They are a good group of people. And yes there are a lot of side jobs to be had in San Antonio. But in some ways they are still stuck in the 70s. Like their report writing. At least when I was at the SO there, both BCSO and SAPD hand wrote all of their reports. It was archaic. People lining the magistrate's office with their paper trying to figure out what to say next and not screw up because if they screwed up, they were starting over, and hoping their hand writing was legible. It's like the computer never made it to SA. And every report had to be done right then and there because before you could leave the building or return to duty you had to present your report to an ADA who had an office in the mag's office and approved all reports on the spot. It was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Anytime I get frustrated with our reports or I don't get them turned in for a few days and fall behind, I think back and remember it could be much worse.

Also when I was over there, the car system was jacked up. Both BCSO and SAPD had just enough cars for 1 shift at each substation, plus a couple of beat up pool cars. So if you got off at 0700 there was an officer waiting at the substation for your car to go on shift. If you got a hot call at the end of shift and had to stay out late, there was someone sitting around waiting for you. SAPD had it better than BCSO, but they still didn't have enough cars.

Some of that may have changed slightly under the new chief, but the last I heard, it had not. And then there is the issue with the chief. So far he's been alright and hasn't thrown anyone in the grease. I can't help but think his true colors will come shining through the first time a special interest group gets ****ed at one of his officers. I know Minneapolis couldn't wait to see him go, and if I remember correctly, Dayton, Ohio didn't shed many tears either. Of course his life expectancy as a chief will have expired by the time you are testing for SAPD.

Forum Member
    Thanks for all the info--- very much appreciated...

So you're saying BCSO is full-function in some areas?

The SO isn't strictly a jail-keep, process serving agency?....

Most SO's around here are full-function in unincorporated parts of the parish (county), which encompass most of the area.

Forum Member
    streak, from what I have been told SAPD gets to re-negotiate their pay every few years, that is what a recruiter told me when he tried to get me to join up, i honestly recommend the austin area to SA, you should be able to challenge the TCLEOSE and not go through another academy if you go to one of the cities around Austin (like round rock, bee cave)
    Should have been a hose dragger

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by _bluestreak_ View Post
    So you're saying BCSO is full-function in some areas?

The SO isn't strictly a jail-keep, process serving agency?....

Most SO's around here are full-function in unincorporated parts of the parish (county), which encompass most of the area.
    If by "full function" you mean they enforce all laws, then yes. All Sheriff's Offices in the state of Texas are full service law enforcement agencies. In fact the Sheriff is the conservator of the peace and chief law enforcer in the county. Our S.O.s enforce all laws everywhere in the county. Most SOs focus on the unincorporated parts of the county that don't have PD protection, but we can enforce anything anywhere in our counties, both criminally and civilly. The Sheriff's Office is responsibe for the jail and courthouses in Texas just like in Louisiana, but we do everything else also. Bexar County S.O. has a full patrol division, warrants, civil process, K-9, criminal investigations, crime scene, narcotics, gang unit, and SWAT, along with the jail, courthouse, prisoner transport, and extradition, and a couple others I know I'm forgetting

We don't have a seperate S.O. for civil process either. We only have 1 Sheriff per county.

Quote Originally Posted by donutdestroyer View Post
    you should be able to challenge the TCLEOSE and not go through another academy if you go to one of the cities around Austin (like round rock, bee cave)
    If he is certified in another state(assuming their training standards are as high or higher then ours) he can challenge the state exam anytime after he moves here and go to work at any agency in the state. Whether he goes to the Austin area or the San Antonio area. The area he works has no bearing on his ability to take the test and go to work. The only thing that will affect his ability to work after passing the state exam is each individual department's policy. Neither Austin nor San Antonio let anyone skip the academy, regardless of training or experience. But once certified in Texas he could work for any of the counties or suburb departments in either location. San Antonio has a dozen or so quality suburb police departments just like Austin, and he can work at any of them after certification.

Forum Member
    Can you provide me with some of the better suburb departments to work for?

Austin and San Antonio

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by _bluestreak_ View Post
    Can you provide me with some of the better suburb departments to work for?

Austin and San Antonio
    San Antonio suburbs that pay well and have decent equipment:
    Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Castle Hills ,Converse, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Olmos Park, Selma, Shavano Park, Fair Oaks Ranch, Universal City, Windcrest, Terrell Hills, Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park

Other SA suburbs that don't pay what they should, but are decent places to work:
    Grey Forest, Helotes, Somerset

Kirby has a good chief for the first time in 5 years and is getting better equipment by the day. They still pay crappy but it is a good place to work now.

Austin suburbs that pay well and have decent equipment:
    Cedar Park, Elgin, Jonestown, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Leander, Manor, Pflugerville, Rollingwood, Round Rock, Georgetown, Sunset Valley, Westlake Hills, Bee Cave(I'm sure there are more but these are all I can think of off the top of my head)

Other Austin area agencies that don't pay as much:
    Mustang Ridge is a small 4 or 5 man deptrtment that will be a nice place in the next 5 years or so after they get a real chief and Toll Road 130 comes through.

Lockhart just got civil service and their pay continues to go up regularly. They will compete with other Austin area towns soon.

Forum Member
    I live here in san antonio. The city police and benifits are way better than working at the sheriff's office. You will have to do a mandatory two years in the jail before they will even think about letting you apply for the streets. They are so undermanned, you could get stuck there forever. SAPD should be hiring again in june. keep a look out for it. check sanantonio.gov for the announcements. Good luck