Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Rate My Cop

Retired Sergeant - CHP

Rate My Cop

This site could become an officer safety issue.

http://ratemycop.com/

I urge each of you to contact your department and association/union to get the site shut down to protect your officers. Cops names are posted from all over the nation.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    you gotta be kidding me... thank god my department was listed but no names on there.. but some of our surrounding departments are listed... Thank CHP Sgt.. I just forward this site to our Intelligence LT.........
    I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Forum Member

nice... i had 2 hits already...... but no ratings....

Forum Member

thank you. just got forwarded to my cheif

Forum Member

No Alabama Dept of Public Safety listings. I agree though, this site poses a potential threat. I'll bring it to the attention of our Association. Thanks for the "head's up".

Forum Member

Saw this earlier and let my Lt. know. I saw a couple of guys I know from one of the agencies listed. I have a hunch how they're getting the info for CA but I'll wait until my Lt. checks into it.

Forum Member

It sucks, but it's all public record.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    I guess I don't understand. Every stop I make, I start with, "Hello, I'm Officer XXX with the YYY Police Department." Plus, I wear a name tag. How is my name being listed as an officer going to impact me?

Perhaps there's more to this site than just the name and a rating (of which I saw none, just the names, but I didn't look very long). Someone clue me in.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member
    No one from my department on there or any department around me
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Lather it like its stolen
    Um...you guys are a bit paranoid. You do know that you work for the public correct? And the govt at that? It is not hard to get names of officers and your salary for the year. Its public information and any FOIA request will prove this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    Um...you guys are a bit paranoid. You do know that you work for the public correct? And the govt at that? It is not hard to get names of officers and your salary for the year. Its public information and any FOIA request will prove this.
    True
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Retired Sergeant - CHP

Point Of Information

I posted this for LE Eyes ONLY. Granted, we are all a part of the public domain and any person can access those names by filing a request under the public information criteria. However, make them work for it.

I have noted that someone has taken this thread to the public threads and violated the trust of the brethren. I believe that shows just how secure this site (O.com) is when information is posted in a "secure" area.

For one of you I would submit that a heads up is not being "paranoid", it is being prepared! Paranoid is packiing a piece everywhere you go when off duty. Paranoid is fearing you will encounter someone you have arrested when you are off duty. Paranoid is wanting to carry while at Disneyland, Disney World or a sporting event.

The "Rate My Cop" site is still in its inception and is growing. No one, outside of the creators, knows what information will eventually be posted and made public about those who protect our communities.

Use the information for what you think it is worth.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

He who speaks Truth
    Sadly there is no shortage of sites like this; it reminds of the drivel on the 'cop watch' site.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

BehindBars
    only 1 hit for me.

Takes Pride to Wear Brown
    Huh, department is listed though no deputies on the site. Good.

As far as this site being here, I think it's BS. There's no reason for something like this to be out there. In the end, the only way I can see it being useful is to a defense attorney, or as a way to slander people. I would imagine the only people that will use this frequently are people that have gotten in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    I posted this for LE Eyes ONLY. Granted, we are all a part of the public domain and any person can access those names by filing a request under the public information criteria. However, make them work for it.
    My dept is listed and does not have a single officer listed. And its 3900 of us.. Does that mean that MPD officers dont write/issue tickets? I highly doubt it. Every year, the washington post does an article on mpd officers that make over $100,000. If I wanted to know all the officers names on the LAPD that make over $30,000 do you think I could not get that info? Its public info, its not like you are working for some super secret govt agency where nothing about you can be accesed. How do you think the media gets this information about the names of officers on a dept?

I have noted that someone has taken this thread to the public threads and violated the trust of the brethren. I believe that shows just how secure this site (O.com) is when information is posted in a "secure" area.
    Then that is error on your part. It has been said a million and one times that the site is not secure and anyone can read this info. Are you surprised that this thread is elsewhere?

For one of you I would submit that a heads up is not being "paranoid", it is being prepared!
    Prepared for what? That my name is in some database in reference to tickets? My SAME NAME thats on over 1,000 official PUBLIC govt documents over the course of the years? Accident reports, crime reports, misc reports blah blah?

Paranoid is packing a piece everywhere you go when off duty.
    In this day and age, you would be a fool not to. Guess I am that fool...

Paranoid is fearing you will encounter someone you have arrested when you are off duty. Paranoid is wanting to carry while at Disneyland, Disney World or a sporting event.
    That is still not "paranoia".

The "Rate My Cop" site is still in its inception and is growing. No one, outside of the creators, knows what information will eventually be posted and made public about those 1,000 to protect our communities.
    Dude you cant be serious? The site will be no different than any of the other officer hating sites out there. Someone got a ticket, now they want to create a website asking others to "rate their officers". Big whoop?! I expect all the ratings to be bad and inflated beyond belief, so what? Again, if you WRITE a ticket, its a PUBLIC DOCUMENT.

Use the information for what you think it is worth.
    I dont think its worth anything.

Infrequent participant

I think it's pretty obvious that they cut and paste names from the department website mailing lists. Those who don't list officer contact adresses don't have names on the list.

I don't know how far this will go. I have seen more personal attacks on craigslist toward officers then I anticipate seeing there.
    "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejay View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that they cut and paste names from the department website mailing lists. Those who don't list officer contact adresses don't have names on the list.
    I dont have a Departmental email account, yet Im on the list. I ge tthe feeling the names are obtained thru FOIA

Quote Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
    I dont have a Departmental email account, yet Im on the list. I get the feeling the names are obtained thru FOIA
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner...

Hell on Wheels
    No listing for my dept, no listings for any dept personnell anywhere I know them.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    Back in 2000 a couple cons, William A. Sheehan III and Aaron Rosenstein, started an online database of Washington State LEOs, and court personnel. Strictly in the interests of open government, and accountability, you understand. They sued and were countersued but prevailed because everything they posted was public record.

Where are they now? I don't know or care. Their domain name, justicefiles.org, is for sale.
    And thats my exact point right there. Because YOU "officer friendly" work for the public/govt and anything you do in regards to your official capacity as a peace officer is open to the public. Which is why I really dont understand how any of this is a "security breach" or anything of the sort.....

Forum Member
    Back in 2000 a couple cons, William A. Sheehan III and Aaron Rosenstein, started an online database of Washington State LEOs, and court personnel. Strictly in the interests of open government, and accountability, you understand. They sued and were countersued but prevailed because everything they posted was public record.

Where are they now? I don't know or care. Their domain name, justicefiles.org, is for sale.

... a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5

What they did creeped me out but I haven't heard of anyone actually harmed by it.

Forum Member
    This site could become an officer safety issue.

http://ratemycop.com/

I urge each of you to contact your department and association/union to get the site shut down to protect your officers. Cops names are posted from all over the nation.
    I was on ratemyteacher.com

BehindBars
    Quote Originally Posted by ejay View Post
    Yeah they also had all the civilians with a department e-mail listed for my department.

Forum Member
    I thought it was going to be like "hot or not" dot com. Kinda disappointed, really.

If you have a problem with the site, I wouldn't list its actual URL since that will move it up in the Google search engine. Break it up so people can manually go see it but html code doesn't recognize it as a link.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last