Forum Member

Philly PD Salary Questions

Few questions about the pay in Philly:

1) Are you guys going to be negotiating a new contract anytime soon that will bring the salaries up?

2) What can a guy expect to make with 2yrs on, 5yrs on, 10yrs on 15yrs on and 20yrs on? (With OT)

3) What are the promotional opportunities like and how much more % wise do the different ranks make (Det., Det. Sgt if any, Cpl, Sgt., Lt. etc) I do not know anything about your rank system so my bad if I left ranks out or put none-existing ranks in).

4) Can I get a break down on what the different schedules are?

5) How is Philly PD perceived by the smaller surrounding PD’s? In other words what do the smaller PD's think of the Philly Officers and the Dept.?

6) Is it easy or hard to specialize if you have a good head on your shoulders?

Thanks

Forum Member

Those are good question, I have one more.

Is there a shorter Academy for officers who are already certified?

If so how long is it?
    In God we trust all others we run through NCIC

Forum Member
    1. The FOP is in contract negoations now. www.fop5.org

2.http://www.phila.gov/personnel/specs...dex.htm#Police

The above link shows the pay table, making money is up to you, if you work and make a lot of arrests you will be in court a lot and get paid overtime for many of your court dates. Some districts have a lot of overtime opportunities like working OT at stores and universities. But every district is different some get more and some get less OT.

3. After one year as a cop you can get promoted to Cpl or Detective, I believe they get a 12% pay increase for a cops pay. After two years you can get promoted to Sgt. with I believe a 14% increase in pay. Dont quote me on those numbers, I believe they are about right. In Philly corporals do not work the street they are the operations room supervisors, except in some special units the cpls hits the streets. But the vast majority of cpls work in the districts operations rooms. Sgts are the street supervisors of the dept.
    Next you have LTs, captains, inspector, staff inspector, chief inspector. Every rank from Officer through Chief Inspector is filled through civil service exam. The positions of Deputy Commish and Commish are appointed ones.

3. The basic patrol schedule look like this, there are 3 squads, 1, 2 and 3
    squads 1 and 2 work a two week rotating schedule, two weeks 8am to 4pm then two weeks 4pm to 12am, then you rotate back to two weeks of day work, then back again to night. 3 squad works steady 12am to 8am and do not rotate. Days off rotate also, for example if you are starting the 8am to 4pm shift for those two weeks you are off sunday and monday. When you go back to your 2 weeks of 4pm to 12 you will have saturday and sunday off. Days off rotate backwards every two weeks, so you will have weekends off about every 3 months.

Forum Member
    PPDSWD, thanks for the detailed response. That is a nice schedule, much better than my current non-stop wacky rotating 10's. Only nice part about my current schedule is this one spot where you get off a 5 day Mid run, have off three days, come back for two day shifts, hit a four day weekend and you come back on a Wed. at 1600hrs. So you can burn those two day shifts and have off 9 days in a row (this happens every six weeks), thats is good stuff but the non-stop rotating is driving me up the wall...
    Last edited by krinkbusta; 02-18-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: gramar

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpey31 View Post
    Those are good question, I have one more.

Is there a shorter Academy for officers who are already certified?

If so how long is it?

Not unless you have gone through the city police academy.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.