1. #1
    Snidely Facetious
    Christyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,186

    Cell phones and 911

    Some people with cell phones need to realize a few things...

    1) Just because your cell phone is not activated, doesn't mean you can't call 911. BECAUSE YOU CAN! Don't let your bratty kids (or anyone else) play with your non-activated cell phone and have them call 911 repeatedly.

    Why?

    A.Because it drives me absolutely insane.

    B.Your kids (or anyone else) are tieing up my 911 lines, which need to be used for people with REAL emergencies.

    C.There is no way I can track where your calls are coming from, the calls bounce off a cell phone tower and that is the only known location of where the calls are coming from.

    D. It's annoying.

    2) Woman that are issued "Battered Women" cell phones, should be used for emergencies. For those of you who don't know. Our county issues women, who have a history of being in abusive relationships, old cell phones that can only dial 911. For emergency use of course. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH THEM! They automatically call 911 and I really don't think it's cute playing "Who are you?" with your kid. Especially when I am busy. There is no way to call you back, and there is a .05 in 10 chance I know where you are at.

    My last shift I got 12 911's from little kiddies. That was fun. Now it's happening again.
    Your mom...

  2. #2
    Jolly Green Giant
    bigj8550's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,192
    Hey! you were that mean old lady on the phone that chewed out my little Timmy last night! You should be ashamed of your self. Next time I think I will call the police on you. Using that kind of language on my little Jimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

  3. #3
    hxd
    hxd is offline
    Regrouping

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Christyle View Post
    1) Just because your cell phone is not activated, doesn't mean you can't call 911. BECAUSE YOU CAN!
    Just one minor point of clarification... The FCC has authorized all cellular telephone companies to remove their analog common-carrier infrastructure across the US, effective 1 January of this year. In my area, you won't even get a signal with an analog phone anymore. But yes, your point is very valid.

    My 4 year old nephew LOVES talking on the phone. When his mother upgraded her phone, she gave him the old one to play with. I immediately took the phone and drilled a hole through the battery. They both got upset with me because the buttons and lights didn't work and it didn't make noises anymore. TOUGH CRAP.

    We had an instance here not too long ago where the 911 center was getting hang-up calls from a cell. Our center is advanced E911 compliant, and they were able to get the GPS coordinates and plot the location on a map. After the first dozen calls, the dispatcher watched the plot points on the map and guesses that it was a school bus route. She called the bus garage and found out which bus it was. Then she asked them to tell their bus driver to expect a traffic stop. As the Deputy climbed on the bus, he asked the dispatcher to call the phone back. Busted!! It was a hell of a waste of resources though.

    It's a pet peeve of mine too. I feel for you.

  4. #4
    Snidely Facetious
    Christyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,186
    I just spent 5 minutes on the phone with some kid. Had no clue what he/she was saying. I did hear that his/her mommy and daddy weren't home. Typical.
    Your mom...

  5. #5
    Snidely Facetious
    Christyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by hxd View Post
    Just one minor point of clarification... The FCC has authorized all cellular telephone companies to remove their analog common-carrier infrastructure across the US, effective 1 January of this year. In my area, you won't even get a signal with an analog phone anymore. But yes, your point is very valid.

    My 4 year old nephew LOVES talking on the phone. When his mother upgraded her phone, she gave him the old one to play with. I immediately took the phone and drilled a hole through the battery. They both got upset with me because the buttons and lights didn't work and it didn't make noises anymore. TOUGH CRAP.

    We had an instance here not too long ago where the 911 center was getting hang-up calls from a cell. Our center is advanced E911 compliant, and they were able to get the GPS coordinates and plot the location on a map. After the first dozen calls, the dispatcher watched the plot points on the map and guesses that it was a school bus route. She called the bus garage and found out which bus it was. Then she asked them to tell their bus driver to expect a traffic stop. As the Deputy climbed on the bus, he asked the dispatcher to call the phone back. Busted!! It was a hell of a waste of resources though.

    It's a pet peeve of mine too. I feel for you.
    Thanks for drilling that hole. Someone thanks you for it!

    I can only do the latitude and longitude to find where the call is coming from. It's always the cell phone tower. I will bring in my old phones to work and call 911 to see what happens...
    Your mom...

  6. #6
    FIR NA DLI "MEN OF LAW"

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj8550 View Post
    Hey! you were that mean old lady on the phone that chewed out my little Timmy last night! You should be ashamed of your self. Next time I think I will call the police on you. Using that kind of language on my little Jimmy.
    Is your kids name Timmy or Jimmy?
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

    "You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

  7. #7
    Lather it like its stolen
    CityCopDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Christyle View Post
    Some people with cell phones need to realize a few things...

    1) Just because your cell phone is not activated, doesn't mean you can't call 911. BECAUSE YOU CAN! Don't let your bratty kids (or anyone else) play with your non-activated cell phone and have them call 911 repeatedly.

    Why?

    A.Because it drives me absolutely insane.

    B.Your kids (or anyone else) are tieing up my 911 lines, which need to be used for people with REAL emergencies.

    C.There is no way I can track where your calls are coming from, the calls bounce off a cell phone tower and that is the only known location of where the calls are coming from.

    D. It's annoying.

    2) Woman that are issued "Battered Women" cell phones, should be used for emergencies. For those of you who don't know. Our county issues women, who have a history of being in abusive relationships, old cell phones that can only dial 911. For emergency use of course. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH THEM! They automatically call 911 and I really don't think it's cute playing "Who are you?" with your kid. Especially when I am busy. There is no way to call you back, and there is a .05 in 10 chance I know where you are at.

    My last shift I got 12 911's from little kiddies. That was fun. Now it's happening again.
    Sweetheart, I have nothing but love for you. I had to do a "stint" at communications for about a year. Dispatchers get my utmost respect.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Sioux City, NE
    Posts
    4,488

    Reduced calls reduced staffing

    All well and good to reduce prank calls, but I bet lack of false 911 calls would reduce staffing levels and threaten your job.

    Somehow a couple of times my cell phones have dialed 911, I do not know how. I always get a call back to check on my, so there must be some type of caller id. Also both my phones have a setting to transmit GPS co-ordinates on all calls or 911 calls only, but perhaps a feature only on newer equipment.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,015
    I loved it when I watched an accident happen right in front of me - there were injuries involved. I used my cell phone to call 911 and the dispatcher had no clue where I was talking about and I had given her pin point directions and the address of the accident. Come to find out it - the call went to an entirely different county some 20 miles away!

  10. #10
    Snidely Facetious
    Christyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    All well and good to reduce prank calls, but I bet lack of false 911 calls would reduce staffing levels and threaten your job.

    Somehow a couple of times my cell phones have dialed 911, I do not know how. I always get a call back to check on my, so there must be some type of caller id. Also both my phones have a setting to transmit GPS co-ordinates on all calls or 911 calls only, but perhaps a feature only on newer equipment.
    Um....negative. There is 10 times more to my job than just answering the phone and saying "911 What is your emergency?"

    Quote Originally Posted by INDiver View Post
    I loved it when I watched an accident happen right in front of me - there were injuries involved. I used my cell phone to call 911 and the dispatcher had no clue where I was talking about and I had given her pin point directions and the address of the accident. Come to find out it - the call went to an entirely different county some 20 miles away!
    That happens! You know where I work and how far I am from the interstate. I have received numerous 911 calls from people on the interstate, it just depends on what cell phone tower the call bounces off from.
    Your mom...

  11. #11
    All Sas and Sarcasm!
    texaschickeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Guess.....
    Posts
    10,980
    hxd- great going for drilling that hole. that should have been a action they did first. I also love ya for the bus stop and the bust. great thing to do. bet every kid on that bus N E V E R lets someone do that again around them.

    Christyle, I feel your pain. Hang up calls and other non tracable calls.....not good.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    7
    An appropriate story for the topic at hand....


    KTVU.com
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/15310750/detail.html

    Authorities have arrested an alleged 911 cell phone caller who was believed to have made more than 27,000 emergency calls, overwhelming California Highway Patrol and Hayward 911 systems.

    The 911 calls started flooding in last May. The caller responded to emergency operators with bodily noises, muttering and pressing beep tones.

    "He completely overwhelmed our system," said Desi Calzada, manager of the Hayward Communications Center, which operates 911. "He delayed the answering of other 911 calls because we were answering his."

    John Triplette has been arrested night for investigation of abusing the 911 emergency line, a misdemeanor.

    The CHP communication center in Vallejo started getting bogus 911 calls last May, then the Hayward center began getting the calls in January.

    But before he was arrested, Triplette allegedly managed to call in another 10,000 calls to the police, as well as 4,000 to the Solano County Sheriff's Department, according to Lt. Chris Orrey, a spokeswoman for the Hayward Police Department.

    When the investigators finally tracked Triplette down at his home in the 24000 block of Amador Street, he told arresting officers he was sorry.

    When asked why he made the calks, he replied: "Because it's free."

  13. #13
    Jolly Green Giant
    bigj8550's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by irishdep View Post
    Is your kids name Timmy or Jimmy?
    You caught that huh! Good job. Most people will read right pass stuff like that and not even catch it. I have been training myself not to miss stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    ramseycl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    90
    I get so sick of those calls, and worse are the kids that know we cant trace them and can't call them back, they call and cuss and act stupid.
    If the phone actually has service we do get a call back number, the problem is all the "old" phones that don't have service, we can't trace an owner or even the phone number.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

  15. #15
    Shortie
    Lexis85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    678
    Some cell phones have an "airplane mode" where it restricts calls and texts from coming in and going out....would that apply to 911 calls too? I gave my old cell phone to my nephew to play with but took out the sim card so I don't think it can dial out to any number without that.
    Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

    Chaos, Panic and Disorder....my work here is done!

    As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

  16. #16
    hxd
    hxd is offline
    Regrouping

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexis85 View Post
    Some cell phones have an "airplane mode" where it restricts calls and texts from coming in and going out....would that apply to 911 calls too?
    It depends on the phone. Airplane mode merely turns off the radio portion of the phone. Other functions of the phone remain functional. I would think that from a strict liability standpoint, the manufacturers would want an outgoing 911 call to turn the radio back on. I can see it now... some idiot sues the manufacturer because they inadvertently switched their phone into 'airplane mode' and couldn't dial 911 when they needed to.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexis85 View Post
    I gave my old cell phone to my nephew to play with but took out the sim card so I don't think it can dial out to any number without that.
    Taking out the SIM card will not prevent the phone from dialing 911. In fact, many phone will display "Emergency calls only" or something of that nature.

  18. #18
    Shortie
    Lexis85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    678
    damn, that sucks. That's ok, he's two and has already smashed it into pieces....soooo destructive!!
    Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

    Chaos, Panic and Disorder....my work here is done!

    As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

  19. #19
    Still praying...
    Southflaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paradise Lost
    Posts
    15,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Christyle View Post
    Some people with cell phones need to realize a few things...

    1) Just because your cell phone is not activated, doesn't mean you can't call 911. BECAUSE YOU CAN! Don't let your bratty kids (or anyone else) play with your non-activated cell phone and have them call 911 repeatedly.

    Why?

    A.Because it drives me absolutely insane.

    B.Your kids (or anyone else) are tieing up my 911 lines, which need to be used for people with REAL emergencies.

    C.There is no way I can track where your calls are coming from, the calls bounce off a cell phone tower and that is the only known location of where the calls are coming from.

    D. It's annoying.

    2) Woman that are issued "Battered Women" cell phones, should be used for emergencies. For those of you who don't know. Our county issues women, who have a history of being in abusive relationships, old cell phones that can only dial 911. For emergency use of course. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH THEM! They automatically call 911 and I really don't think it's cute playing "Who are you?" with your kid. Especially when I am busy. There is no way to call you back, and there is a .05 in 10 chance I know where you are at.

    My last shift I got 12 911's from little kiddies. That was fun. Now it's happening again.

    Respect. keep up the good work!
    C:\Users\RAL\Pictures\cruise ships on port.jpg

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Gene L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    All well and good to reduce prank calls, but I bet lack of false 911 calls would reduce staffing levels and threaten your job.
    I don't think it would. Dispatchers answer ALL calls every place I know, not just 911 calls. So it stays busy in there.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

  21. #21
    Snidely Facetious
    Christyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I don't think it would. Dispatchers answer ALL calls every place I know, not just 911 calls. So it stays busy in there.
    Tis true.
    Your mom...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register