Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Never give up...

Why window tint is illegal???

I live in IL and i am really wondering why it is illegal?

I am thinking it is for drivers and officers vision perpuses.

anybody can explain why it is illegal on law?

thanks

Forum Member
    It is illegal because it makes it harder for drivers to see out of their vehicles especially their blind spots. Not being able to see is dangereous. The greater the tint the greater the hinderance, especially at night time. It also is unsafe for officers who can't see inside vehicles they pull over until it may be too late.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Never give up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshift va View Post
    It is illegal because it makes it harder for drivers to see out of their vehicles especially their blind spots. Not being able to see is dangereous. The greater the tint the greater the hinderance, especially at night time. It also is unsafe for officers who can't see inside vehicles they pull over until it may be too late.
    so, legally, it is only for driver's vision? I thought legally it was for officer safety and drivers safety.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclefan21 View Post

thanks
    It is illegal because the legislators passed a law saying it was illegal

I couldnt resist......but really there are two main reasons. It reduces the drivers visiblity especially at night....try looking through limo tint at night while driving...you can see still, but you might miss that pedestrian in dark clothing,etc. The other reason is officer safety.....I for one dont particularly like walking up on a car with all the windows darkly tinted...hard to see what the occupants are doing.

Never give up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    It is illegal because the legislators passed a law saying it was illegal

I couldnt resist......but really there are two main reasons. It reduces the drivers visiblity especially at night....try looking through limo tint at night while driving...you can see still, but you might miss that pedestrian in dark clothing,etc. The other reason is officer safety.....I for one dont particularly like walking up on a car with all the windows darkly tinted...hard to see what the occupants are doing.

Thanks but is that a "legal" reasion that tint law is for drivers and officer safety?

Forum Member

You will have to research the legislative intent for any better explanation. We don't make the laws, we just enforce them.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Never give up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    You will have to research the legislative intent for any better explanation. We don't make the laws, we just enforce them.
    yeah and i am in the process of research right now by asking officers who knows the law and I don't!

Forum Member

musclefan, the point is, we know what the law is, but not why. Why is it illegal in many states to sell liquor on a Sunday? We don't care, we just enforce it.

Contact the Illinois Legislature to find out the WHY.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Hell on Wheels

Exclamation

thanks
    I am not sure as to what your question is.

If you want to know what is illegal or why your's was found to be illegal, the answer lies in your state's code or the facts of your installation.

If you are asking why state's legislatures have seen fit to enact laws limiting or even prohibiting any additional window tint, the reasons are varied but most are likely due to two things.

1) ... Officer Safety.

2) ... Traffic Safety.

Both depend on vision, vision depends on the reception of light to work, both reflected light and light coming from a sorce. It isn't just about the driver being able to see out. It's also about officers and other drivers being able to see you when you drive for clues to whether you are pointing a gun at the officer or looking their way when you are sitting at a stop sign as they approach along the highway at 55 mph.

My state's code on subject.
    1) ... "§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties."
    This code section is the basic one, and as can be discerned by reading it, it actually applies to ANY motor vehiocle operated on Viorginia's highways, regardless of state of origin. Most officers, myself included, tend to NOT enforce it's provisions on out of state registered vehicles unless it is just rediculously dark (20% VLT is rediculously dark IMHO) as to be a serious hazard or unless we happen to have a chart(s) to compare to state of origin. DOT prohibits it on CMVs, so they are fair game as well if they are darker than allowed by this statute. Two outside mirrors, we are talking 50% VLT front side glasses of most vehicles, minus the 7% tollerance.

2) ... "§ 46.2-1053. Equipping certain motor vehicles with sun-shading or tinting films or applications."
    This code section deals with Va. vehicles, it details how to get an exemption on a registration which would allow one to go to 35% VLT as applied, minus the same 7% tollerance of course.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Never give up...
    ^^^ thats awesome. the reasion I asked cuz somebody told me that it has nothing to do with officer safety, it is for drivers vision and i thought it was for both and looks like it was right! thanks again for those who responded my questions!

Forum Member

Having the window tinted is nice since I don't want anybody looking in the inside of my car to check if there is anything valuable to steal.

Its funny that in the law it says that we are not to use dark window tint than how come officers are able to use them in unmarked cars.

Rah Rah Rah for Ski U Mah
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero4749 View Post
    Its funny that in the law it says that we are not to use dark window tint than how come officers are able to use them in unmarked cars.
    You're also not allowed to make a U-turn in the center median of a freeway, but we can. The reason? Operational need.

How does this apply to window tint? A lot of dirtbags don't follow the law regarding tint either, so it helps undercover officers, in certain situations, fit in.

Forum Member
    Putting aftermarket tint on your windows also affects the properties of the safety glass on your vehicle. With the exception of the newer Dodge vehicles (another type of glass installed iirc) your windows are designed to shatter into small pieces on impact. Having the tint on your windows changes these qualities int he safety glass, holds the glass shards together, and instead of blowing out in nice little pieces you get large serrated knives (as someone around here once put it.)

It makes it harder for you (the driver) to see at night.

It makes it harder for police to see you, even in the day time. Officer safety is a big issue, if we feel unsafe walking up to your vehicle without our weapon drawn, don't be surprised when we draw it.

It's illegal in most places. Bottom line, don't put it on.

"Retired"
    It was passed in the early 80's and pushed through by Judy Barr Topinka, primarily for officer safety.
    And it OK for us to have it on unmarked/UC cars so we can see you and you can't see us. Exception for LE use in the law. And when I was still writing movers, you'd get the chance to scrape it off, or get the ticket. Amazing what you can do on the spur of the moment with a putty knife..
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 02-09-2008 at 01:37 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero4749 View Post
    Having the window tinted is nice since I don't want anybody looking in the inside of my car to check if there is anything valuable to steal.

First, It's not going to stop a criminal. Second, if it is illegal where you live then it is illegal.

Why is it illegal? That has been answered. If you don't like the answer, asking the question again is generally not going to change the answer.

And yes we can use dark window tint if it helps us do our job. I can do a lot of things, in the course of my job, that you can't do. You aren't allowed to drive faster than the speed limit, in an emergency, or when required to, say, stop a speeder, I can. I can carry a gun where you can't, etc etc etc.

Simple, isn't it?

Never give up...
    Quote Originally Posted by NE75 View Post
    Why is it illegal? That has been answered. If you don't like the answer, asking the question again is generally not going to change the answer.
    the question wasn't asked so i could find out why and whether put it on my car or not. I posted this thread because i thought tint was illegal for driver and officer safety issue while a friend of mine told me i was wrong, it was for driver safety issue only. and i wanted to hear from you police officers why exactly so i could show my friend that why is it illegal exactly.

thanks for the responds.

Don't Feed the Trolls
    I believe your question has been answered several times.

The bottom line is that every state has different reasons for why they pass different laws, and short of researching the legislative process, its not always going to be clear.

There are always many factors that play into why a legislator votes for a certain thing. Some of the legislators might have voted to pass that law because lobbying groups for traffic safety got their support in favor of increasing safety by prohibiting things that decrease driver vision. Law Enforcement lobbying groups might have convinced other legislators to vote for the same bill because of increased officer safety.

As best as I can tell, those are the two primary concerns when it comes to vehicle tint. If you want more detail, go to your state's library/archives and request coppies of the minutes from the legislative session that led to that law's passing.

Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
    Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Forum Member

what about officers that have tinted windows on there personal vehicles? Doesn't seem fair to me. Hard to enforce the law when they are breaking it.

"Livin' the dream..."
    what about officers that have tinted windows on there personal vehicles? Doesn't seem fair to me. Hard to enforce the law when they are breaking it.
    My daddy once told me, "Son, sometimes life just ain't fair."
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Half Way to AARP
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed View Post
    Unlike your standard McDonald's employee, law enforcement personnel are "on-duty" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Bad guys feel less intimidated of an out of uniform cop... so the safety aspect comes into play too.

Plus... life isn't fair.

Forum Member

thanks
    Actually, each state has its own laws on tinted windows. Most states allow tinted windows. It's the amount of tint on the windows and the location of the tinting that make it illegal and the vehicle. For example, limos have "limo" tint.

Anyway, you weren't even close to spelling 'purposes' correctly so you are probably unable to absorb and accept a reasonable explanation of the purposes of window tint law. A durrrr...

Salty Dog

I don't think my officer safety is a good reason to ban tinted windows. I can order the driver to roll the windows down if I can't see inside, or there are other options.

I also don't like restrictions on exhausts, and front plates being required. Not having a front plate leaves more customizing options for novelty plates, or no plate.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeed View Post
    Here in Louisiana you can get an exception to the law for either medical reasons or safety, such as police officers who have to carry their gear in their personal car to and from work. It's not that hard to enforce the laws even when you're "breaking" them. All I have to do is write the ticket and have you "sign here". Call me a hypocrite all you want, but it doesn't change the exception to the law that the legislature established.

Forum Member

ateamer, why not do away with rear plates for the same reasons? Perhaps you like really loud exhaust noise at 3 AM, but many of us do not.

BTW, no front plate slows down certain processes - automatic plate readers that do oncoming traffic, and Customs, where every plate gets entered into the computer, for 2.
    John Stuart Mill

Salty Dog

I think a rear plate only is a good compromise. I don't care about automatic plate readers. The equipment on people's cars should not be regulated by what is convenient for the police.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Page 1 of 2 12 Last