Thread: TAN card?

TAN card?

Anyone know what a TAN card is? I think it pertains to security ppl being able to carry firearms... If so, what are the provisions for them being able to carry concealed???

Forum Member
    Check with the websites for Illinois Department of Proffesional Regulation and Illinois State Police. All the info you could ever want.

Forum Member
    They can carry during the course of their duties as well as 1 hour to and 1 hour from work.

There are some shady characters out there who call themselves "supervisors" at security and PI agencies and say they can carry 24/7 since they're "always on call."

There are also shady security and PI companies who request TAN cards for clients of theirs. They give those clients "supervisor" ID's and let them carry 24/7 under the same "supervisor" guise.

I know a few Private Detectives who also believe they can carry 24/7 because they're "always on call" and "always working."

Renaissance Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
    I know a few Private Detectives who also believe they can carry 24/7 because they're "always on call" and "always working."
    They could always explain that to a judge, if they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog99 View Post
    They could always explain that to a judge, if they prefer.
    IF the state would ever approve charges especially if they are self employed with no proof of when they are or are not working.

I had one rejected for that very reason. We had to let him go and give him his guns back.

closed
    www,whitestkids.com
    Last edited by d10mack; 02-13-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: h

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
    They can carry during the course of their duties as well as 1 hour to and 1 hour from work.

There are some shady characters out there who call themselves "supervisors" at security and PI agencies and say they can carry 24/7 since they're "always on call."

There are also shady security and PI companies who request TAN cards for clients of theirs. They give those clients "supervisor" ID's and let them carry 24/7 under the same "supervisor" guise.

My thoughts exactly.

Who regulates firearms training and qualification for ppl like private security and PIs? Do they know deadly force law, can they shoot???? I dont think we should trust these ppl to tote guns around.....

Forum Member
    The real messed up thing about it is that the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (DFPR) issues certificates that certify certain individuals to train and certify those who can carry. Not much is required to get one of those certificates. The NRA Law Enforcement certification as well as the the U of I's PTI firearms training certificate are acceptable proofs of training.

As for what's taught, there's not much that's universal in what's taught. I know some who are not qualified to teach lethal force in any way, shape or form but they teach it. A couple of those "trainers" refer to pistol magazines as clips. While it may be a small detail, it's still a sign of their lack of proper knowledge.

Oh yeah, a lot of those guys who are the clients who have TAN cards, almost all of them had their qualification shots cheated on for them. There is no review of drawing from the holster, gun retention, index finger placement, etc... You know, stuff that's covered in basic firearm classes. Getting back to those having their qualifications cheated for them, they don't shoot from from the proper distances. Most of them just run the target out to 20 feet and fire all 50 qualification shots from that range.

Then you've got the ones who carry a badge with that gun and act like cops. I worked with one guy who would flash his badge around to get into bars for free and get discounts or free food from restaurants.

No offense to anyone in the profession now but the security and PI field is filled with a lot of people who would never cut it in the military, law enforcement and watch too many shows like 24.

Forum Member
    I cannot speak about Private Security but as a Licensed Private Detective, I can tell you that most Licensed Private Detectives do not carry weapons. The insurance is way too expensive. Check with any of the licensed, reputable Private Detective agencies and you will find that almost all forbid employees to carry weapons of any kind. Our industry has long lobbied for across the board regulation for our industry. The profession can police itself only so much. The actions of one hurts the image of all.

And lastly, the PI Field is filled with former LEOs and military. Just remember, there is a big difference between someone who calls himself a Private Investigator and someone who calls himself a Private Detective.

closed
    Last edited by d10mack; 02-13-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: w

Forum Member
    Nope, doesn't include me. I've been out of the business since last May. Don't miss it one bit. I'm in special education now.

Forum Member
    If anyone comes into contact with someone carrying that has a perc and calls himself a P.I.. Please, Please call his or her employer. Odds are, they are not listed on the Professional Liability insurance policy. You will probably have a very thankful employer and probably another good contact and source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Himso View Post
    If anyone comes into contact with someone carrying that has a perc and calls himself a P.I.. Please, Please call his or her employer. Odds are, they are not listed on the Professional Liability insurance policy. You will probably have a very thankful employer and probably another good contact and source of information.
    Of course the Self Employed P.I. is just as big a scammer.

Himso, can you explain what you mean in these two posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Himso
    A PERC card is for armed security, right? How is it different than a TAN card?

Quote Originally Posted by Himso
    Just remember, there is a big difference between someone who calls himself a Private Investigator and someone who calls himself a Private Detective.
    What's the difference between Private Investigator and Private Detective?

Forum Member
    I'm not Himso but I can answer those questions.

A PERC allows one to work in security or as a PI under an agency. A PERC does not allow someone to work armed, a TAN card does. In order to have a TAN card, you must have a PERC but not vice versa.

The difference between a PI and a PD is that a PD can be his own boss while a PI has to work under a PD Agency, which are owned by PD's. Basically, if you can read and pass a background check, you can get a PERC to work security or as a PI. The fees and testing for PD's is much more extensive and costly. I believe the test is only offered twice a year and there are work/education or a combination of the two that are pre-requisites in order to take the PD exam.

The test, I believe, is ~$250 or so. But in order to activate your PD license after you pass the test, you must have a minimum of $1 million in liability.

Basically, a PD can work as his own boss while a PI must work under someone. A PD can order their own TAN card while a PI must have theirs ordered for them by a PD Agency. The TAN card is property of the employer and in the case of a PD, the employer is himself.

One of the PD's that I worked for really fancied himself as a 007 type. Carried a PPK, had pictures framed of himself posing like 007 movie shots and wore sunglasses everywhere, even at night and indoor shooting ranges...

One PD I know even has the habit of drinking and driving while carrying a firearm.

Most PD's I've met are just regular guys, real nice and down to earth. But when you do meet the one that is out there, they're really out there. First come the outlandish claims of being a federal agent, having trained all sorts of law enforcement to being 98th degree black belts in all the martial arts...

Forum Member

Question??

If you work for a department that limits you to certain types of firearms and you want to carry off-duty, something in the realms of a 1911 would a TAN card be a good alternative? Very green here, so if it's a dumb question, just say "kid yer an idiot" and I'll move along. Just kinda gets to me that I can't carry a single action firearm. I understand liability, but one is just as lethal as the other. What might be the possible hang ups carrying a 1911 with a TAN card with regards to department policy of not being an "approved" weapon. I ****ing hate chicago sometimes.

Forum Member
    You can not carry off duty off of your tan card
    The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.