Gang Tactic Mode

Highway 41 between Terre Haute and Evansville

Quick question: I have family who live in Georgia. It's a long drive from Wisconsin to Georgia, especially the long mundane drive downstate through Illinois. I was looking for alternate routes and came across Highway 41.

Is Highway 41 two lanes or four lanes? What is the speed limit? I know once you get into Kentucky it becomes four lanes, but how about between Terre Haute and Evansville? Do you drive through small towns, or is there bypasses? Thanks ahead of time.

-BL
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Jolly Green Giant
    There are places on highway 41 that are 4 lanes, and speed limits on those places are usually 65 no more. Then there are places that are two lane speed limits are usually 55 there. I drove that section sunday and I only remember one place that was lower than that, and it was going through a small town. Hwy 41 is not an interstate so forget being able to fly 75-80on it. 41 is patroled by ISP, and other local agencys. Don't try to speed, keep it 6 MPH over the speed limit or under.
    Last edited by bigj8550; 01-29-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Forum Member

I've driven it quite a few times, but not recently. There are several small towns and stop lights, especially just south of Terre Haute, but I'm not sure how often the speed limit drops below 55. I think it generally takes 1.5 hours to get to E-ville from TH.

Forum Member

When you get to Terre Haute you will want to take SR 63 north. US 41 is two lane from Terre Haute to mid Warren County where it merges with SR 63. US 41 from there is four lane all the way to Chicago. It is slower but less traffic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rrmark View Post
    When you get to Terre Haute you will want to take SR 63 north. US 41 is two lane from Terre Haute to mid Warren County where it merges with SR 63. US 41 from there is four lane all the way to Chicago. It is slower but less traffic.
    Looks like you missed a critical detail. He's trying to go south, not north.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigj8550 View Post
    Don't try to speed, keep it 6 MPH over the speed limit or under.
    That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it? "Don't speed, keep it 6 MPH over the limit. And the 6 MPH, is that your cut-off before you begin writing tickets????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadarLove View Post
    Looks like you missed a critical detail. He's trying to go south, not north.
    Sorry turn the directions around, when you get to SR 63 take it to Terre Haute. It keeps you off of all the nasty twist and turns in Parke County. And its all four lanes....lol

You sound like my wife....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    Quick question: I have family who live in Georgia. It's a long drive from Wisconsin to Georgia, especially the long mundane drive downstate through Illinois. I was looking for alternate routes and came across Highway 41.

Is Highway 41 two lanes or four lanes? What is the speed limit? I know once you get into Kentucky it becomes four lanes, but how about between Terre Haute and Evansville? Do you drive through small towns, or is there bypasses? Thanks ahead of time.

-BL
    There are lights. The speed limit is usually 55.
    I grew up in Indy but I'm originally from Western Kentucky. We used to take 41; I hated that drive.

You might try 74 to Indy, then 65 to Nashville, 24 to Chattanooga, then 75 to Georgia. I used to live in GA and would take 65.

difference maker
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRunsBlue View Post
    There are lights. The speed limit is usually 55.
    I grew up in Indy but I'm originally from Western Kentucky. We used to take 41; I hated that drive.

You might try 74 to Indy, then 65 to Nashville, 24 to Chattanooga, then 75 to Georgia. I used to live in GA and would take 65.
    just gun it and dont get tunnel vision
    Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InHarleyCop View Post
    That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it? "Don't speed, keep it 6 MPH over the limit. And the 6 MPH, is that your cut-off before you begin writing tickets????
    Agreed on the contradiction. BTW, what is the "average" cutoff point for most of you before you begin pulling people over and/or writing tickets? I've been pulled over before and given a warning, both verbal and written. The verbal warning was, "you were going 9 over. One more MPH and you would have received a ticket instead of a warning."

Quote Originally Posted by rrmark View Post
    Sorry turn the directions around, when you get to SR 63 take it to Terre Haute. It keeps you off of all the nasty twist and turns in Parke County. And its all four lanes....lol

You sound like my wife....
    LOL And agreed about taking 63 south to TH, if he cuts over into Indiana that soon. Not sure where he'll be cutting over if coming from Wisconsin.

Jolly Green Giant
    Quote Originally Posted by InHarleyCop View Post
    no fine for 6 mph and slower. So usually a ticket will not be written for 6mph or lower. Just my Humble opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Forum Member
    no fine for 6 mph and slower.

Not true. The fine is the same for 1-25mph over increases at 26mph and up. I've ticketed for 5 mph over, but don't normally bother with speeding unless its 15 mph over or its in a school zone/work zone.

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    no fine for 6 mph and slower. So usually a ticket will not be written for 6mph or lower. Just my Humble opinion.

Not true. As cruiser mentioned, there is a fine for speeding 1-25 mph over the posted speed limit. As well, I've written for 5 mph over. Someone in Scott County, Indiana is living proof that attitude will get you a LONG way during a traffic stop.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Gang Tactic Mode

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRunsBlue View Post
    The problem with that is the amount of cutting back west that 65 takes. My normal route from my residence is I-39 to Bloomington, I-74 to Champaign, I-57 towards the Kentucky border, I-24 to Georgia, and then I-75 south in Georgia. According to Microsoft Streets and Trips and adjusting for my driving speeds, the trip takes 12 hours and 40 minutes.

If I adjust the route and go through Indy, the trip would take me 13 hours and 57 minutes. It's almost worth it because the Illinois interstate highways are so boring. The land is flat and there are very few billboards to keep me entertained. The state's scenery does not get interesting until the lower 1/3rd of the state.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."