Forum Member

School Buses and Intersections with Stop Signs

School bus is stopped with flashing lights at a 4 way intersection (crossing roads) with 4-way stop signs. The school bus is not in the intersection. I am coming from the opposite direction, stop at the stop sign and turn left in front of the school bus. Bus driver gets visibly upset at me. Why? I am from out of state. Did I violate some Illinois law?

Forum Member

When the stop sign on the side of the school bus is out, you're not supposed to pass the bus on either side.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie1940 View Post
    School bus is stopped with flashing lights at a 4 way intersection (crossing roads) with 4-way stop signs. The school bus is not in the intersection. I am coming from the opposite direction, stop at the stop sign and turn left in front of the school bus. Bus driver gets visibly upset at me. Why? I am from out of state. Did I violate some Illinois law?

Ok you contradict yourself...
    You say
    School bus is stopped with flashing lights at a 4 way intersection
    (crossing roads) with 4-way stop signs.

The school bus is not in the intersection.

You just said it was at the intersection, then you say it was not. Make up your mind.

Out of state or not, you don't have school buses where you are from? Stop means exactly that... Stop. When you see a bus stopped with stopped sings out and lights flashing, it means STOP. IF the bus driver waves you on, then proceed. Otherwise sit and wait the 30 seconds it takes the kids to get off and cross.

I often see too many impatient people zoom on by school buses with lights flashing and stop signs deployed. Kids get off the bus and run in all directions, they are kids. Being grown up, one hope that you have some common sence and courtesy. I highly doubt you had something so important that you cannot wait 30 seconds.

Forum Member

First At the intersection is not the same as In the intersection.

Second the guy didn't pass the bus on either side. The bus was stopped at a stop sign and this guy turned left in front of the bus.

Arkie: You didn't do anything wrong.

Forum Member

Relax Corp.. It was a simple question!!!! if you do not pass the buss than you are alright. So you did nothing wrong, Arkie.

Forum Member

Nothing wrong Arkie.

Corp- R----E----L-----A-----X

Renaissance Man

Quote Originally Posted by IVC, 625 ILCS 5/11-1414(a)
    The driver of a vehicle shall stop such vehicle before meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any school bus stopped at any location for the purpose of receiving or discharging pupils. Such stop is required before reaching the school bus when there is in operation on the school bus the visual signals [are activated].
    The bolded part of this text is a matter of interpretation. Some people read the statute differently. I've seen different judges decide both ways.