Forum Member

Moving to Jackson, MS area

Hey guys, going to cross post this from the MS board just because I don't see a lot of activity there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Well guys, my wife was just accepted into medical residency in Jackson, so we're coming down there this summer. So for the obvious questions:

1. good and hiring departments? I've searched a found a little- the consensus is suburb PDs over JPD from what I've read.

2. good places to live and places to avoid

3. I'm currently POST in TN. How does that transfer in the area? (or does anyone know where I can find that info?)

Many thanks for any advice!

JC Oakley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tn_gunslinger View Post
    Hey guys, going to cross post this from the MS board just because I don't see a lot of activity there. I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Well guys, my wife was just accepted into medical residency in Jackson, so we're coming down there this summer. So for the obvious questions:

1. good and hiring departments? I've searched a found a little- the consensus is suburb PDs over JPD from what I've read.

2. good places to live and places to avoid

3. I'm currently POST in TN. How does that transfer in the area? (or does anyone know where I can find that info?)

Many thanks for any advice!

JC Oakley
    JC, I'm not an expert on the Jackson Ms area. Been through there many times, and it's a very pleasent place. That said, now, and I emphasize now, is the time to start doing some research. Determine whether your Tn POST is transferrable to Ms, and under what circumstances. You can probably access the websites of most agencies in the Jackson area right here on Officer.com. Get busy, and I mean now!! Congratualtions on your Wife's acceptance to Residency. Hope it's a start to great careers for both of you.

Forum Member
    Checked the O.com dept listings. Only one of the links was still good, Hinds Co SO, I think. But I've found the other local depts pages. Unfortunately, most are just a one-page, here's our contact number, type website. No biggie, I'll just have to call down and talk to the individual depts.

Any ideas where I can find info on the MS LE certification? I'm still googling to try and find it, but if anyone else knows a site with the info, I'd be grateful!

What had happend was!!!!
    Welcome to the metro area.

You will here many bad things about JPD. There are a few good guys/girls there but they are few and far between. The city has a criminal for a mayor and the sheriff of hinds county is also the police chief of Jackson.

The good departments are in Madison and Rankin counties
    Rankin County
    1. Flowood PD
    2. Brandon PD
    3. Rankin County SO

Madison County
    1. Madison SO
    2. Madison PD
    3. Ridgeland PD

I personally know that Flowood is hiring. We are going to have a couple of openings in patrol in a month or so. Rankin is hiring deputies right now and I think Brandon Pd is looking for 3 or 4. As far as pay goes Flowood pays the highest followed by Brandon and then the SO. I can't speak for any of the Madison county agencies but they are worth checking out.

You can live pretty well in any area of Rankin county. There is alot of growth right now and new suburbs are going up everywhere. If you live in Flowood or Brandon the city of Jackson is only 10-15 minutes away because Rankin and Hinds counties border each other. You can live in Jackson if ya want but you will pay higher taxes and deal with a higher crime rate than you would in Rankin or Madison.

As far as your TN post certification transfering I can't help you on that one. Just call an agency that you are thinking of applying to and ask them. I'm pretty sure you'll have enough training hours to lateral with no problem

Heres some numbers to help you out.
    Flowood PD 601-932-5400
    Brandon PD 601-825-7225
    Rankin SO 601-825-1480

Hope this helps and good luck.

Forum Member
    Many thanks, Charlie! I caught that the chief and sheriff were the same and thought that was odd. I'll be doing research on the officials in the area just to see. I also noticed the crime rates in Jackson proper were pretty stout- not that that's a really big deal to me, but I noticed just the same.

I'll be callling down to those agencies you listed tomorrow and hoping to get some applications and info working.

Go to Hell, Ole Miss
    2. good places to live....
    Louisiana

2. .....places to avoid
    Mississippi

Sorry, it's a Louisiana thing

Forum Member
    I know Pearl PD is hiring. They are a good department to work for. Their Chief is cool and lets you do your job without politics getting involved, or so I am told. It is a small town just southeast of Jackson. Madison, Flowood and Ridgeland probably pay a little more. It just depends on what you want. I think most are hiring. Good luck!

Forum Member
    Really appreciate the tips guys! I'll be calling down this afternoon to see if I can get info and maybe have some apps faxed up where I am now. (the good part of where I work is that the chief is totally supportive and has known that I'd be moving away soon.)

oh, let me add: about how long would you estimate it would take me from application to hire, assuming everything goes smoothly?

Forum Member
    found out from Madison PD's receptionist (I think it was the receptionist) that I'll just have to do a three week "lateral" type class- MS law, defensive driving, and firearms to transfer my certification!

Forum Member
    and yet another question:

I found some links for the state agencies- MBI, MBN, and MS DHS. Are these worth pursuing? Do they generally accept applications? I'll be calling them on Tuesday, but I was, again, just wanting some other impressions from guys and gals who live in the area.

thanks again!

(when I get down there, lunch is on me for all your help!)

What had happend was!!!!
    I can't help you much with MBI and MBN. Those state agencies can be worth pursuing but they may not pay as well as some suburban pd's out here. Also since it's a statewide gig it's not certian were youre post is gona be. Just something to think about. I forgot to mention Pearl PD earlier. Got some good friends that work there. They don't make the most money but there are some great people over there.

Forum Member
    I was planning on working for Jackson PD when I finished school. I did a few ride alongs, and changed my mind. Thank god I did. That department is a joke.
    "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Forum Member
    Contacted several depts and have three sending me applications and three where I'll have to go down and pick them up. Thanks for the info guys!

What had happend was!!!!
    No problem. Good luck with it.

Forum Member
    My wife has a contact where she will be working who suggested Vicksburg. Looks like it's about 30-45min away from jackson proper. Good dept? And are there some decent living spaces on the west side of jackson that would make it closer for me?

Forum Member
    Clinton is located just west of Jackson. Clinton is better than Jackson but Jackson should be avoided completely in my opinion. The west side of Jackson is the worst side of Jackson. I personally wouldn't choose to live in Clinton but then again I have never lived there either. I'd chose Rankin or Madison County and just drive the extra 15-20 minutes if I had to drive to Vicksburg but as stated in other posts I would try to get on with Flowood, Ridgeland, and Brandon PD 1st. Brandon PD has a great Chief but I believe Flowood pays more than the other metro agencies.
    It's pretty much rural area between Clinton and Vicksburg. Can't help you with any info about Vicksburg PD though.

Forum Member
    many thanks, Brad. I've spoken with both Brandon PD and Flowood PD's recruiters and they both seemed like excellent, friendly people.

Forum Member
    Anyone have a general list/idea of starting salaries?

What had happend was!!!!
    Around here a starting salary pretty much depends on your experience level, and frankly just how the chief or sheriff feels that day. Flowood starts around 28 I think. If you've got a few years in then you can expect one higher than that. Can't say what Brandon or Pearl start at.

Forum Member
    Thank you, sir.

Forum Member
    Madison SO starts around 34K but from what I understand you don't get yearly raises you only get a raise if/when promoted. I've heard mixed opinions on the sheriff at Madison but he seems like a decent guy.

Brandon PD has a max starting pay of 29K regardless of experience. I don't know what the minimum starting pay is at Brandon. The chief told me yesterday they had a few openings and some more openings coming up.
    The chief is a great guy and will stand behind you.

No idea what is Pearl PD's starting salary. I believe for the most part the officers like the dept.

I can try to find out the starting salaries at Ridgeland PD and Madison PD from a couple of guys.

Rankin SO doesn't have a set starting salary its whatever the sheriff decides to start you out with at the time.

Forum Member
    Thanks Brad, we'll be coming down in February to house look and fill out applications. I spoke with another officer who worked at.. Richland(?) who said that Pearl started fair, but no raises until the 5th year. No biggie, I'm really just looking to get hired on and get into the work on a different side. I got my start here in campus LE, and I'm ready to move around a bit.