Forum Member

letter of interest for sgt testing

anyone have any ideas of what departments are looking for when they request a detailed letter of interest for a detetions sgt possion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paynebe View Post
    anyone have any ideas of what departments are looking for when they request a detailed letter of interest for a detetions sgt possion.

Spelling?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Dangle View Post
    Spelling?
    OWNED.

Seriously, though, they want you to spell out (no pun intended) your reasons for desiring the position, your qualifications for the position, and and why you think they should choose you over the other candidates. Think of it as the cover page for your resume for a new position. In fact, my department likes to see a resume included with the letter of application. Make sure you include any education (Bachelor's or Master's degree), any specialized training you've obtained (especially at your request), and supervisory/leadership experience.

Take what I say with a bit of a grain of salt, I've only got 3.5 years on the job (my comments are based on having been through a promotions process and a bachelor's degree in administration of criminal justice).
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
    OWNED.
    No, really.