Forum Member

Uncharacterized Discharge

I know this topic has come up a few times, but not my specific predicament.

I joined the USMC in Dec-06 and shipped to San Diego. Around week 5 I was sent to the hospital for pneumonia and while there, they saw I was limping so they did an xray. Turns out I had petilla-femoral syndrome.

The original injury was as a civilian playing football in highschool but it never bothered me, then I injured it again when I was pushed into a rifle rack at boot camp.

I ended up staying another 7 weeks before they discharged me (12 weeks for nothing) for the knee injury. Got an uncharacterized dishcarge because it happened at boot and I was in for about 3 months.

DD-214 says:

Type of separation: Entry Level Separation
    Character of Service: Uncharacterized.
    Seperation Code: JDA1
    Reentry Code: RE-3F

JDA1- Fraudulent because it happened as a civilian, and aggravated at in boot.
    RE-3F RE-3F- Erroneous enlistment, again, happened as civilian, hurt in boot.

There was a guy in my class who got the same thing from the Navy and he said Fort Worth is the only PD to give him the time of day because of the uncharacterized. I talked to a recruiter from Irving and she said it had to be honorable, no ifs ands or buts.

Now, obviously the injury was bad enough to get discharged from the military during wartime. I've heard that it's really hard to get a job as a LEO with uncharacterized because they don't' care what its for, just that you have it, so I've been looking into National Guard to get the honorable, but we'll have to see on that part.

Anyone with experience?

Forum Member

Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys.

Operator
    I would say that 99.9% of the LE agencies out there want folks that have Honorable Discharges....

My advice would be to go to school or keep the job you have (depending on your finance issues) and get with the VA and try to upgrade to at least a General.....that may help you out....

Other than that, I think you are out of luck......unless you are able to go back in and get it cleared up.....and come out with a good discharge....

Forum Member

The Marine Corps does not give out honorable discharges under 6 months, it is a preventative measure you can't get GI benefits and other goodies based on your service then. I recieved an characterized dischearge a few days before my 180 day mark. I had not completed my MOS training when I had a few bad breaks, and they were not going to heal before my 6 months. I was told I could sit in a platoon called the PIB or physical evaluation board or get seperated but that if you physically participating in training at the 6 month mark those were your only 2 options. I was told something about not wanting people to get real Marines benefits, when it is tough enough for combat injured people to get what they deserve. I did not take it as a personal knock, I had fun did well and had all of my supporting documentation they gave me all of my medical records and copies of evaluations, so I could take them to a recruiter when if I wanted to re up. I had talked at lenght with both the medical staff and my Command about my plans to re up asap.

My wife got pregnant while still active (yea we were dumb enough to go to Parris Isalnd together) and sent to Okinawa for a year. After that she di dnot want me to re up so I got into the 2nd best thing, tha po-po. I still dream about going back but, it just isn't what's best for my family situtation, I 've got 3 kids now.

In any case my point is I got offers from 2 departments in Arizona, and got hired in a very respectable agency in St. Louis, with my discharge. I had to fully explain why I had the type of discharge I ahd and provide all of my documantation. I believe the issue would be if the type of seperation you recieved would have been any thing less then honorable if you had been in the FMF when you were hurt or seperated, and was only Uncharacterized due to the shortened term. Don't take someone elses word for it, peopel who get the boot for any number of reasons, like to make up all sorts of crap about how it was not thier fault or just lie about the circumstances in general, due to embaressment. If you did a good job and just got hurt, get you documentation and apply, if you have something to hide or prove as far as williness to serve if your rally able, do what you need to. Just out of curriosity why not go back to the Corps, if your good enough to go to the guard you can pass the medical for the Corps also?

I would like to help but I have met so many guys who are turds and get the boot and try to act like we are the same because I got hurt and separated I am a little cautios. I take my family tradition of serving seriously and would go to bat for ANY Marine any day, they have all my respect. I considered doing the whole review of my discharge thing, but decided against it, too many guys are getting their %$s kicked in the sand box, and spending valueble years away from family for me to try to act like were the same and deserve the same respect. I was just a Basic Marine, as noted on the paper work indicating my compltion of b/c and that's basically it!