Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Washington State Patrol... I want this job.

Forum Member

Question Washington State Patrol... I want this job.

Hi. I'm looking for advice as to how I should better prepare for the first phase test. I have taken the first phase test twice now. I have spent countless hours studying for this test and still failed. I've called the East-side recruiter to get information. She said that I should use the "Acro State Trooper" study guide. I studied it between the first try and the second with a two month period. She also said to call the West-side recruiter to figure out what my test score was, so that I could better prepare on the areas that I needed to improve. I finally got a call back from the West-side after a few weeks. The recruiter there said they never give out the test scores. I really want this job. I feel that this job would suit who I'm. I don't what to be a trooper to have the title as "state trooper" drive fast cars, but to help people. I feel that being a state trooper would enable me to do that. I've done a couple ride alongs with city, county, and state. By far state is the best one. I did the ride along with WSP during Labor day weekend 2007.

I'm currently a sophomore at Central Washington University. If I were to do the Law Enforcement major there would it help me down the road to achieve my goal? ...working for WSP someday.

I would appreciate any help....

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by rocklover88; 01-03-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: context

Forum Member

Hey David,

The good news is that you're still a sophomore at Central, so you still have a lot of time to retake the test. I would probably wait until your senior year to apply, because the whole application process takes a while (at least for me). So if you were to successfully go through all the phases and get a conditional offer, you may have to face choosing to finish school versus taking the job offer. I faced the same question myself when I was a sophomore. I decided to wait until my senior year to apply. I'll finally be graduating next quarter myself, and that is around the time I hope to get my conditional offer of employment (if things keep going well). This may also provide you with time to do some ride-a-longs and continue to grow.

As for some advice, my advice would be to continue riding with troopers when you can and learn as much as you can from them. All of them got through the tough application process, arming, trooper basic, FTO, and proudly graduated. Most of them are happy to help passionate people learn and grow to become a better applicant and figure out whether the job is for them. At least that has been my experience so far.

There are a lot of helpful people that check these threads, so check back and see what they say. But I hope my $0.02 helps a bit.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mirak1; 01-03-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Generic LEO

I'm glad to hear you want to be a trooper. As I have said many times I think it is a great job, biased as I am.

I can't give you advice for the Phase 1 test; at least none more helpful than you have already gotten. I passed Phase 1 on the first try, but there are many troopers who did not, so don't let it discourage you. I did study the Arco test prep book, which you already know about. The other thing I did, and I don't know if it really helped with that test or not, was to read a couple of books by a fellow known on these boards as 1042trooper. Look him up. There, a totally shameless plug!

As far as advice for the hiring process overall, I can say what I have told others. I passed on my first try, so I didn't have as much experience as some (there are many who don't pass everything right away, it doesn't matter as long as you get there). But from what I could tell, those who passed the hard phases easily seemed to have a high level of maturity. Good common sense, decisive thought processes, and confidence are all good qualities also.

Many of those successful had a lot more life experience than those who didn't, (that's a nice way of saying we're older!) but I found that it didn't necessarily make us better at everything, we just approached many situations differently. Prior LE experience helps in many ways, but again is not necessary.

I have been told that the WSP hiring process is much more rigorous than that of most police dept's etc. I don't know from personal experience (I never applied for any others). I would say that if that's true, it's a good thing. I like knowing that everyone I work with passed through the same process as I did, and that includes trooper basic and the PIT. If you don't succeed the first time, don't give up. It's hard, but it's worth it.

Generic LEO

I have to add, there's no recruiters here, you can be honest...

...deep in your subconscious, there must be at least a little desire to drive fast and shoot guns...

...because that IS what we do! (Not the shooting so much as the driving.)

By the way, the 2003 CVPI I drive does in fact top out at 132 m.p.h. That's not fast enough to catch a motorcycle at 150+ though, I am sorry to report.

Maybe I can have an ADAT Charger someday. Those will blow the doors off a Ford! Heck, the Impala is faster too...

Operator
    FINISH SCHOOL!!!!

Then apply for the job.....or if you still can't get it....go local then apply once you get some experience......

BUT FINISH SCHOOL!!!

LE jobs will ALWAYS be out there......they aren't going to magically disappear......

Forum Member

Maybe I can have an ADAT Charger someday. Those will blow the doors off a Ford! Heck, the Impala is faster too...

That could happen!

I heard a rumor that the Crown Vics are slowly phasing out and a lot of LE agencies are replacing with Chargers. However, I have to say, something about the Crown Vics just seems classic, almost sad to see them go.
    Last edited by mirak1; 01-03-2008 at 02:54 AM.

Elk Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by mirak1 View Post
    That could happen!

I heard a rumor that the Crown Vics are slowly phasing out and a lot of LE agencies are replacing with Chargers. However, I have to say, something about the Crown Vics just seems classic, almost sad to see them go.
    I am in the process for a couple of state agencies, one of them being Idaho state Police. They are phasing out CV's and going to the chargers. It is kind of sad to see them go!

The best advice I can give to testing as I have passed some, is that use your common sense and don't try and guess what you "think" that the agency wants to hear. Decide your answer before you look at the possibilities and choose the one that best suites your decision. Also, when faced with a question like "There is a fire starting in a building and you see someone running from the fire" do you a) blaw blaw blaw or b) blaw blaw blaw...etc. Always remember that you are a cop first! paramedic, fireman, etc. second.

Another advice is what others have said...wait till your senior year to apply, maybe even you last semester of your senior year. I tested for WSP the summer before my senior year and they asked me to accept a conditional starting in December. I declined because I had to finish my last semester and if I didn't I was going to have to face the wife for dragging her down there! I then had to wait a certain period before I could apply again. I decided to try some other states instead.

Also see if central wa University PD or another local PD has any intern programs. These programs are meant to give you hands on experience to start thinking like a cop. Go on alot of ride a longs. I have 175 hours worth with local state and county agencies. When on these rides ask TONS of questions. I know you want to go state but WSP can be hard to get rides with all the politics that the troopers have to jump through to get riders. so go on rides with local and county as well.

ok I am done.
    MUNDER likes this.

Generic LEO

Acceleration 0-100 mph:

Ford CVPI... 22.72
    Impala... 21.68
    Charger... 15.19

Mmmmm, Charger (excuse me while I clean the drool from my keyboard)...

Unfortunately I have been told that the Charger will NOT be used as a replacement for our fleet of CVPI's. This is due to two things: lack of rear seat room and the inability to carry a full size spare. Of course if there is a solution found I would suppose that it would be reconsidered, but as of now I guess we're staying with Fords until 2009 at least. Chargers will be ADAT cars though.

It's weird to see someone reminisce about Crown Vics. I remember when the Caprice was new and strange...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdman0 View Post

Unfortunately I have been told that the Charger will NOT be used as a replacement for our fleet of CVPI's. This is due to two things: lack of rear seat room and the inability to carry a full size spare. Of course if there is a solution found I would suppose that it would be reconsidered, but as of now I guess we're staying with Fords until 2009 at least. Chargers will be ADAT cars though.
    Do you know what they will replace the CVIPs with then? If not chargers, will it be Impalas? I know Lt.s drive them, but are they really a better choice than figuring something out with the chargers? I also heard it would only cost the state 3k more per car to purchase chargers than CVIPs. Not sure how true that is.

Also, birdman, what year car did you get?

Forum Member

this would make a nice ride

Forum Member

Hello! I am in phase 3 with WSP. I did my poly the end of Nov. As far as I can tell they have not started my background. They haven't contacted any of my references or neighbors. Perhaps they do employers and finance stuff first, don't really know. I am excited and can't waite to get my conditional offer.

What are the chance of a cadet going straight through the arming and academy? I am hoping I can do it. I am married, with 4 kids, 28, and will have a college degree this spring and want to start a career.

I went out with Trooper Professional in Ellensburg. He has an ADAT Charger. I loved it when we would drive through the medians to pull people over. He would punch it as we were coming out of the median and I would get thrown back into the seat . AWESOME!! Unfortunelty, several weeks later I was coming over the pass and saw that a Dodge Neon hit him during poor road conditions. Smashed his rear left fender. I couldn't believe it, I was sick and it wasn't my car. Sweet car! While we were patroling we had somone pass us going 93 mph. He laughed and pointed it out to me. It was strange being in the police car and having someone pass us. They guy wanted to pay now and have the charges reduced. It was a fun night. I am dying to go out again with all the snow fall we have received.

Who said CV were out. Is Ford going to stop making them?
    Last edited by OfficerDotCom; 01-05-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Took out identifying name. Bozo no no.

Generic LEO

The best advice I can give is, be flexible. Be ready to move. When I was hired I too wanted to go straight through arming and trooper basic. DAY ONE of arming I realized I had a lot to learn, and in the end I was glad I didn't go straight through. Not to say I enjoyed being at the mansion for 8 months, (because I didn't) but I think I'm better for having "done my time".

If you're prior military, or prior LE, you have a better (not guaranteed) chance of going straight through.

On another answer, my car's an '03 with 95,000 miles on it. It had 65,000 miles on it when I got issued the car last May.

Yes, what I've been told is Ford's halting the CVPI in 2009, and going with a new design (Interceptor?) for 2010. I'm not really a car guy, I just drive 'em.

Forum Member

i know this is an old post but had to ask where is the mansion and when they say mansion is it the govenors mansion? just curious cause I am gonna take my first phase in feb.

Retired and Lovin It!

Quote Originally Posted by brando25 View Post
    i know this is an old post but had to ask where is the mansion and when they say mansion is it the govenors mansion? just curious cause I am gonna take my first phase in feb.
    Yes, they're referring to the Governor's mansion in Olympia. The WSP provides security for the mansion as well as a number of other State buildings in Olympia.

Cadets who have completed the arming class are often assigned to the Detachment that provides that security. Another common spot to spend Cadet time is working the ferry terminals, and at various times in the past (though not presently) have worked in the Commercial Vehicle Division Ports of Entry alongside Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officers.

Good luck in your testing/hiring process!
    Living the Dream... One Day at a Time!

Red&Blue coming through
    Edited......
    Last edited by Super_HKS; 04-22-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Red&Blue coming through
    **Edit for my above post. I didnt relieze this thread was so old. I thought it was something recent.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmack View Post
    Yes, they're referring to the Governor's mansion in Olympia. The WSP provides security for the mansion as well as a number of other State buildings in Olympia.

Cadets who have completed the arming class are often assigned to the Detachment that provides that security. Another common spot to spend Cadet time is working the ferry terminals, and at various times in the past (though not presently) have worked in the Commercial Vehicle Division Ports of Entry alongside Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officers.

Good luck in your testing/hiring process!
    thank you for the input. I am hoping to get on there but I am gonna put in for king county and seattle pd. I think i should be able to get a job with one of these.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super_HKS View Post
    **Edit for my above post. I didnt relieze this thread was so old. I thought it was something recent.
    hey super.
    srry I opened this thread again lol. I have a question for ya? how was the oral board? Any input or advice on the oral board and other details?

Red&Blue coming through
    Quote Originally Posted by brando25 View Post
    hey super.
    srry I opened this thread again lol. I have a question for ya? how was the oral board? Any input or advice on the oral board and other details?
    Oral boards were just like the written. Common sense. I cannot go into detail exactly what questions they ask you but If you answer the questions with honesty you will be fine. They dont want to hear you fill their ears with crap they know is fake. They want to hear you as an individual.

Forum Member

I hate to bring more bad to news to the table but you cannot lateral into the WSP. You must attend their academy if you want to work with them. Most state police jobs are like that from what I've seen.

Forum Member

Hi everyone, I am about to retake the Phase 1 test for the Washington State Patrol on August 14th. This will be the third time... as I took it back in September and October of 2007 back-to-back and failed both attempts. I really want this job... to be a part of the best Law Enforcement Agency (IMHO). Just something about the WSP keeps coming back to embed a deep desire within me. I feel that over the past three years that I have matured greatly and that now is the perfect time to try it again.
    Anyway, I write to anybody (anyone that has taken the WSP or for that matter any entry level Law Enforcement test) in regards to acquiring strategies involving the observational memory part. I think that was the part of Phase 1 testing that I had the hardest part. I mainly think it had to do with a combination of test anxiety and only having 60 seconds to memorize the entire picture. Since then, I’ve done my research and studying with police study material. One person told me that I should break the picture into four-quadrants as that is easier to do.
    I was just curious as to what other people have done to prepare for that part of the test and how they tackle that part on the day of the test.

In addition, since it has been a few years now can anyone give me a few pointers as to the rest of the Phase 1 test. I know now that it’s required to pass a physical fitness test which will be no problem for me since I’ve been training for it.

Thank you everyone for your insights…

Forum Member

I have great news everyone!!! I did it! I will be going to Phase II next week. I will let you all know how that goes.

Forum Member

Good luck hope you don't get round tabled.

Forum Member

Congrats! And keep up the good work! You'll do just fine if you keep that good positive attitude going. It actually took me 2 and a half years to make it with WSP and I'll tell you right now I'm having the time of my life. The academy is top notch and the staff here is A+ quality. Totally worth the long haul! Plus, there's going to be a lot of hiring within these next couple of years due to attrition(retiring). It's a good time for applicants.

Red&Blue coming through
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklover88 View Post
    I have great news everyone!!! I did it! I will be going to Phase II next week. I will let you all know how that goes.
    Good job buddy, I knew you could do it. Glad you were able to make it through this time around. I wish I could test again. I dont get to test for another 2 years. I was in the process for around 2 + years and to have to wait another 2. It is a bummer but if these agencies I am testing for right now dont hire me, I plan on re-applying in 2 years with the WSP. Good luck with everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last