Forum Member

Question Stripping off old shoe polish

I was wondering what is the best way to strip off ols shoe polish so that the shoe will take a good shine? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member
    steel wool and SOS pads seem to work. There might be a chemical stripper out there but I think it may end up damaging the leather

Caution: Unvetted member.
    Isopropal alcohol works pretty well; just moisturize the leather right away or it'll crack.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member
    In the Marine Corps we always used shaving cream and a coarse brush. Like one you would scrub your shower or floor with. Your going to need to use black shoe dye when your done and then build up the polish again.

Forum Member
    This protocol recommends mineral spirits. Works for me. But, like recepies for beer, chili, and bread, there are many routes to a satisfactory result.

Forum Member

In the Marines we always used hot water, saddle soap, and a scrub brush, usually in the shower, it breaks your boots in faster too. When it dries put on 6 coats of leather dye. Then you need to cake on polish, melt it with really hot water, and rub it in until its smooth as glass. Buff it real good then add a light coat of polish and buff it out with a few drops of alcohol.
    Last edited by wittynbear; 01-01-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Forum Member

Saddle soap is the best thing to use to strip your shoe polish off your boots/shoes. Alcohol and other mineral spirits will damage your boot by drying them out. It breaks down the natural grain in leather. Don't be fooled by what others say, I've worked in leather all my life. Yes you can apply a moisturizure to the leather, but the damage is already done and you're just going to prolong the time before you have to replace them. I use to buy saddle soap by the case load when I had horses for the saddles and bridles. Just follow the directions on the can. Put a couple good coats of dye back on the boots AFTER they dry from the saddle soap treatment and then polish. This will bring out the best shine. Now if you want to waste your time spit shining, there are many ways to go about doing it, but if these are police work boots, I don't have a clue why you'd want to spit shine them, and if they are for dress, get a pair of high gloss. IMHO police officers have better things to spend their time off on, then spit shining. It's not tactical and to be honest, I don't want a partner responding that's going to be worried about whether or not his spit shine may get ruined.

Forum Member

Go with the saddle soap. Strip your boots down about once a month or so, and start from the base layer.
    Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them for a while.

Forum Member

what about the stripper that comes with leather luster? strong stuff

Forum Member

gsxrgrunt - If you've already applied leather luster to your boots might as well start saving for your next pair. There is nothing in the world worse for a boot then leather luster. Expecially if you baked it on. The leather has been damaged beyond repair. If you got the job done right, your boots looked good for maybe 6 months, depending on the amount of wear, but once they start cracking, they look like (well you already know what they look like). Yes the solvents in the stripper for leather luster is strong stuff. Alone it will harm the leather, but not any more than what's already been done with the luster. It can be an expensive learning experience, and one I watched many a new soldier make. It was a hugh seller in the late 70's early 80's. Newly arrived airborne soldiers would go out and buy a brand new pair of jump boots and put that crap on them. We wouldn't let them wear them for regular duty. The luster will close every pore on the boot and your feet will not be able to breath. Had a lot of feet problems until we outlawed that crap. Looks good in a parade, but certainly not something for everyday police work.

Forum Member

thanks for the info. I was told it was great stuff by a local police supply store.