Forum Member

Law Enforcement Rental Discounts

Hi all--I've heard of LE discounts on rental rates somewhere but I wanted to post here to see if this is a possibility. I completed the hiring process with the Secret Service for the Special Agent position and was assigned to one of the most expensive cities in the U.S., and I wasn't sure if there are select places around the country that offer discounts. I have no idea how people can afford this city when making under 150K per year--it is outrageous. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Forum Member

Unfortunatly you might be on your own on this subject. Many agencies don't allow you to use your employment as a way to get discounts Local, County, State and Federal all have stipulations. Noone who uses there employment talks about it becuase of such rules unless it is gaureented to be o.k.

Always keep in mind if you use your employment espeacially when residing somewhere they may expect you to act on incidents you normaly wouldn't be involved creating serious headaches with your employer. Another example is using your credentials for train commutes.

Renaissance Man

Ahhhh... the moral compass...

Nice textbook answer. If you want to know whether someone offers law enforcement rates, ask them. Many businesses refer to this as a "government employee rate," as well.

Conservator of the Forum
    Federal government employees are alllowed to receive dsicounts "as long as the discount is available to a large category of people" or words to that effect. For example, I am permitted to receive "police discounts" or "government discounts."

As to the original poster, if you are talking about apt or house rental discount, then be prepared to be the cop on the block and since that may be considered a part time job, your agency will not likely permit you to do it.

If you're hired, your comrades at the USSS will guide you towards the discounted items, and they are abundant!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    Federal government employees are alllowed to receive dsicounts "as long as the discount is available to a large category of people" or words to that effect. For example, I am permitted to receive "police discounts" or "government discounts."

As to the original poster, if you are talking about apt or house rental discount, then be prepared to be the cop on the block and since that may be considered a part time job, your agency will not likely permit you to do it.

If you're hired, your comrades at the USSS will guide you towards the discounted items, and they are abundant!
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I have been officially hired by the USSS, so when I arrive at my assigned field office for the first time hopefully the agents will be helpful in directing me towards the right places. Thanks!

Conservator of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by DF22 View Post
    I have been officially hired by the USSS, so when I arrive at my assigned field office for the first time hopefully the agents will be helpful in directing me towards the right places.
    Congratulations. Your new colleagues will take care of you.

Forum Member

Congratulations, and good luck. The rental discounts can be a good deal, but also a potential "minefield". Locally, many apartment complexes give Officers a discount on rent, but expect them to be available for lockouts, disturbances,including domestics,and the list goes on. Not too conducive to a life outside of work. The agency from which I'm retired,(Alabama Department of Public Safety) did not./does not permit Officers to recieve the discounts we've been discussing. So, that varies from agency to agency. Anyway, best of luck in your new career. Have a great Christmas!!

Stuck in traffic
    I think the OP was looking for a place that gave a general police discount, not a "Courtesy Officer" discount. Doing the "Courtesy Officer" thing is really geared for local LEO's who can enforce local laws/ordinances, not federal agents.

When I was a local LEO there were a few places that did give LE discounts to police officers, with no expectation of you being the courtesy officer. However the discount was usually paltry ($50 per month off rent) compared to what the "Courtesy Officer" who handled initial noise complaints, getting abandoned autos towed, etc. received. The "Courtesy Officer" discounts were significant, but sometimes became a significant headache with some of the expectations certain apartment mangers had...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFed View Post
    I think the OP was looking for a place that gave a general police discount, not a "Courtesy Officer" discount. Doing the "Courtesy Officer" thing is really geared for local LEO's who can enforce local laws/ordinances, not federal agents.

When I was a local LEO there were a few places that did give LE discounts to police officers, with no expectation of you being the courtesy officer. However the discount was usually paltry ($50 per month off rent) compared to what the "Courtesy Officer" who handled initial noise complaints, getting abandoned autos towed, etc. received. The "Courtesy Officer" discounts were significant, but sometimes became a significant headache with some of the expectations certain apartment mangers had...
    Glad you covered that. I was thinking of it as I did my reply. Obviously didn't post it. Thanks for mentioning that.