Forum Member

States where BDSM is illegal

HI,

It's your friendly, neighborhood author researching another novel. Sorry this is such a weird question. I need to set my novel in a state where a private BDSM club is illegal. At the moment, I have it set in a fictional town in New Jersey. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in Mass. so I could move it, but for some reason NJ struck me as the place to set my story.

BTW, to give you an update on the book I researched here before (re: an undercover cop busting a chop shop) the book was accepted by my editor. She loved it.

Thanks in advance!

Cybercyn

Annoyed, amazed & amused! Kieth M.'s Avatar
    Hey Ash - Let me be the first to say, "I have no clue....and not based upon any personal experience."

As always, the 'net is your friend on this one. Google, especially. Any BDSM forum will lilkely point out the states where BDSM folks (and I actually know one), will lament that the laws are antiquated, outdated, unrealistic, etc. I believe NY is legal...so why not NJ? My guess is you may have to stray farther south. Or, perhaps one county in NJ can have a prosecutor/LE head who go after such activities for the good of the citizens, yet the activities would be legal, or tolerated in neighboring counties. In the end, though, wouldn't the illegal aspect make it more exiting for those involved? Best of luck to you.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member
    Thanks Kieth,

Again you came through for me. Thank you! I did the google before I wound up here and I just hit a lot of confusing and contradictory information--and like you said, various calls for organizing and equal rights.

You may be right about some of the places down south, but I'm not familiar with any of those states except Florida. I'd hate to write something based upon stereotypical TV or movies.

I know at least one county in MA is against it since an old friend of mine is a lawyer and told me about this case he had in S.Eastern MA. My book is based on that story. Apparently the judge thought vibrators were the work of the Devil. (His words, not mine.) SO you may be right about that too. Maybe it depends on the judge hearing the evidence.

Perhaps I can ask some of my fellow erotica writers. I'll bet Joey Hill will know.

Thank you,

Cybercyn

P.S> If anyone knows more about this and wants to respond privately, you can email me at ash@ashlynchase.com

Forum Member
    I saw on the news (MSN?) where Texas, specifically the suburbs of Dallas, are cracking down on sex clubs because the prosecutor says they are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    I saw on the news (MSN?) where Texas, specifically the suburbs of Dallas, are cracking down on sex clubs because the prosecutor says they are illegal.
    The club got shut down because they were operating a business featuring live sex acts. They are charging to come in and play.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316251,00.html

Forum Member
    Thanks very much, Joe. In my travels through the Internet I saw some indication of the Dallas BDSM community asking other to get involved in their their rights argument.

I finally found some very useful information re: the laws in general from a lawyer's site. I'm posting the link here just in case anyone out there knows how fuzzy this area is and wants clarification.

Since it's such a subjective area, the story could take place just about anywhere in the US. It's legal in Norway, so maybe my characters can move there in the end.

http://gloria-brame.com/domidea/rumpoule.htm

Thanks again!

Cybercyn