OTJ for awhile now.

Service stripes or hashes

Does your agency have a policy on the position of service stripes i.e. a specific distance from the top of the cuff along the inside of the pressed crease?

Forum Member

We did. One hashmark = 4 years. Only years at our dept. were counted. People cheated on this all the time.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

OTJ for awhile now.
    What was the measurement from the top of the cuff?

Positive Thinker

Not sure what the measurement is from our cuff. Maybe cause I can only have one at this point and dont want to put one on. In arizona its one for every three years of Arizona service. Due to the large number of laterals our agency has they allow in state service from other agencies to count.

Forum Member
    Most of NY agencies one hash mark = 5 years of service. Not sure of distance from top of cuff, but 4 fingers seems right.

Forum Member

Hash Marks

Believe it or not, our department has no written policy regarding hash marks.

However, it has generally been held in our area that one stripe equals three years of full time service, no matter how many departments you have worked for.

A long time ago, there was a question regarding the use of correction employment time for years of service. We also discussed the well known name tag attachment " Serving since 1976" instead of using hash marks.

As to the measurement above the cuff, it seems that all the departments around here start the stripes one to two inches above the cuff.

I personally have some uniforms shirts that don't have the correct number of hash marks on. I just didnt keep up with changes the marks.

I have a question, however. I have'nt ordered hash marks for my recent purchase of shirts. How do you all feel about the folks out there that have a lot of time on? Do you think it starts to look as if you're over doing it a bit when you have say like, 32 years in? It tends to crawl up your sleeve with that amount of time on.

All that aside, please, I know, some of you might read this and ask yourself,

" What is this guy still working as a cop, with this many years on?"

Answer. Simple. College tuition for two sons.

Be safe everyone.
    Keep your head down!

An Obvious problem
    We use stars instead of hash marks. 1 for every 5 years on the dept. They wrap around your wrist instead of going up. If your wrist ain't big enough than you can start to stack them pyramid style.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

My mom says i'm cool.
    Our policy states specifically this...

-(pertains to color)
    -(pertains to color)
    -(pertains to color)
    -Will be worn 1/4 inch above the seam of the left shirt sleeve cuff
    -Will be worn 3 inches above the edge of the left 'duty jacket' and 'command suit jacket' sleeve
    -Will be placed (sewn) on the inward or left side of the shirt and duty jacket sleeve crease
    -Will be centered directly in-line with the shoulder patch on the command suit jacket
    -are MANDATORY on long sleeved Class A Formal and Dress shirts

*Note: Hash marks denote years of service (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.). There is one hash mark for each 5 years of 'continuous' service.
    Hope that helps you.

Waingro...where is he?
    one hash is 3 years for us
    Perseverate In Pugna

Forum Member
    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police uses stars, with 5 years of service in the RCMP per star. Stars are only worn on our Red Serge tunic or blue serge jacket (some ranks are allowed a blue serge tunic as well) centred roughly 3 - 4 inches below the shoulder on the left sleeve. After 20 years, or 4 stars, we start a second row above that, to a maximum of 40 years or 8 stars.

In addition to the stars, and if we qualify due to good behaviour, we are awarded a Long Service medal at 20 years of service in the RCMP, and are allowed to wear the undress ribbon on our uniform shirt. We are further rewarded with a bronze, silver, gold or silver and gold clasp for 25, 30, 35 and 40 years of service. The medal is worn with our serge tunics or jackets only.

Hell on Wheels
    4 (four) inches from sleeve end to hash mark, each hash mark is 5 years.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-18-2007 at 12:23 AM.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member

The Alabama Dept of Public Safety no longer wears service stripes(hashmarks). They have been replaced with service stars, which are worn on a metalic plate attached to the name tag. The star is gold in color on a blue background. A star is awarded for each five years of service with the Dept.

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    One for each 4 years on this agency. Non other are recognized.

The group of stripes is centered betweewn the elbow and cuff on the left arm
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member
    1" from top of cuff. Left sleeve.

1 every 5 years. I have 5, but I haven't put any new ones on since I had 3 stripes. I think I'll celebrate being an official old-fart by getting my 5 sewed on my L/S shirts.

Forum Member

A bar for two years and a star for each five years of service. They are pins--not sew-ons--that are worn above the right breast pocket. Some people wear them and some don't.

J Bo1664
    We use a gold stripe for every 4 years of service at our Dept. Left arm of long sleeve shirt or jacket, a few inches from the cuff. Not sure on the exact measurement, as long as the uniform shop knows, were good. Also, just to throw this out there. I saw a guy from one of our smaller agencies in the area a while back. He had about 7 stipes. I know for a fact he has only been on about a year. But the dept he works for has a buffet of uniforms. If you ever see more than 3 of them together, you can bet the uniforms they are wearing will not match each other.

Forum Member

One of my career-enhancing episodes occurred in roll call, when my sergeant was presiding. I noticed that he had three hash marks on his sleeve. I asked him, "I don't qualify for a third hash mark until next March (six months away). I could have sworn that you came on two years after I did."

He replied that he had just gotten a new shirt, and didn't want to take it back to have the third hash mark sewn on when he qualified for it. Apparently, his shirts lasted much longer than mine did.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Forum Member

New chief hired three years ago (promoted from the ranks) eliminated all of the seniority stripes and award ribbons from the uniforms, except his. He can't understand why the morale is so bad. Just one of many things he's implemented under his dictatorship. Retirement never looked so good until now.

24/7/365
    We do not have long sleeves so no hashes. We do use stars above the right breast pocket. 1 star for every five years.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member

One 5-point star for each year, on left cuff of long sleeve Class A uniform shirt. No one with any self-respect wears just a single star - looks silly. I have only one shirt with all the stars sewn on - just lazy I guess
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member

We display a single hash mark for the first two years of service with our agency, then a second hash mark two years later. When you hit five years, the hash marks come off and you display a single star patch. Five years later that patch comes off and you display a patch with two stars. This continues on and on every five years gaining a star. We have no choice about wearing these, as they check on this during uniform inspections. The insignia is worn on the left sleeve of the long-sleeve shirt, but not on jackets. It is to be worn 1.5 inches above the top of the cuff.