Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Border Patrol Agent vs. CBP Officer

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Have any of you worked for both groups? If so, I'd be curious to hear your experiences.

Relocation Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieBird View Post
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Have any of you worked for both groups? If so, I'd be curious to hear your experiences.
    Did you see this thread?

Forum Member

Difference between BP and CBP

Hello Hokiebird!

Both agencies have the same end desire and that is to protect this country from terrorists and to keep the illegal drugs from crossing our borders. The main difference, which I am sure you have read from the posts as well as if you visit the cbp.gov web site is that you will get a 6c rating with BP and not with CBP (as of yet but I have a feeling 6c will be given to CBP soon, which is well deserved because CBP are officers just as anyone else). This means that you can get early retirement and you do get more of a pension. Another aspect which individuals are trying to note in the forums is that BP receives a much higher pay rate. This is actually not true. With BP you start off higher but that is because they can add up to 10 hours a week to your shift at a rate of 25%. With CBP, any overtime you work is paid at double time. Both agencies are great agencies for what their purpose and job is and it depends entirely up to the individual person as to which agency they want to work for. Good luck in your process!!!!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:
    Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
    TO: Nov. 21, 2007
    Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
    Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
    Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
    Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
    Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
    BI: being reviewed
    Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by toughmommy View Post
    cbp.gov web site is that you will get a 6c rating with BP and not with CBP (as of yet but I have a feeling 6c will be given to CBP soon, which is well deserved because CBP are officers just as anyone else).
    That's not going to happen. It's been made to go away, year after year, no matter who is in charge of Congress or the WH....

If they do it for CBP....then they will have to do it for the rest of the Gov....and they aren't going to do that....way too much money.....

Sucks..? Yeap....but thats how things work...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    That's not going to happen. It's been made to go away, year after year, no matter who is in charge of Congress or the WH....

If they do it for CBP....then they will have to do it for the rest of the Gov....and they aren't going to do that....way too much money.....

+1

That is why CBP stands for "Can't Be Proactive" or "Call Border Patrol"

My all time favorite...."Confused But Paid"

Forum Member

That's just sad! CBP don't run all over the place but they still patrol. I would never trash BP! I think BP is another wonderful part of our government in fighting terrorism and drugs but it is not for everybody. How can you say the men and women of the CBP are not as worthy as the Border Patrol? Just sad! And it is not that I continue to fail to mention "patrol". CBP does the same thing, they are just stationary. I think every law enforcement agency in our country is a great agency because we are after a common cause. Sad!

HokieBird...ultimately you are the ending deciding factor of what agency you decide to go with. Whatever that may be...GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Forum Member

For crying out loud...HokieBird wanted to know the difference!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Forum Member

Now I am offended. It takes common sense to really listen to what I am saying and hence the lack thereof.

CBP and BP are underneath an agency that is defending our country from terrorists and drugs. That is what I was trying to get across from my earlier posts! As far as the similarities as being stationary and mobile, LE's have done both! LE's have stood on the gates of our military bases and did their job just the same as an SP standing and guarding a plane. One is mobile and one is not. Don't preach to me about the jobs being different. I am not trying to defend my hubby's job, my future job, or any other CBP. I am just simply stating a fact in that CBP and BP are both law enforcement agencies in that protecting our country is our upmost concern.

Now back to HokieBird...I hope you have any understanding of the differences between the two agencies. BP has a 6c rating, they are mobile, and a very good agency to work for if that is what your goal is to become. CBP does not have a 6c rating, they are stationary at what they do unless you are a K-9 in which case you will mobile while checking boxes and cargo, etc. for drugs, and a very good agency to work for if that is what your goal is to become.

Good luck to you in your endeavors!!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Forum Member

LOL Anywho...

HokieBird if you need anymore information other than what is on the board, just ask! I have a BP friend who is unfortunately stationed on a sector where he doesn't move around and complains and my husband does move around with his K-9 and is happy. Someone is always going to not be happy with their job and move, good for them! If they don't, well I guess they're not unhappy enough!

I can go on all day and night GB0610...
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Forum Member

Did you get the memo?

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64379

It's going to happen.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by formerNOPD View Post
    Did you get the memo?

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64379

It's going to happen.

Saw it....It's been stuck in the Senate since May having been read twice before the DHS Committe with no further actions taken.... and Bush has publically stated he will veto it.....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 12-16-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GB0610 View Post
    Ok, ok, calm down. Nothing that was said is "just sad". No one is saying that CBP is worthless. As you said, they are simply different types of LE. But as I said, one is much more LE in your typical sense of the term.

Explain to me how CBPO's do the same things as the Patrol if they are stationary? You are making no sense. They are different job descriptions. That's like saying a jail deputy sheriff is the same as a road deputy. They do different jobs! I will also tell you that there are MANY people that work for CBP that do NOT view themselves as LEOs. They are auditors with guns on, by their own choice. MANY would NEVER make is as PA's.

From experience, Patrol work is much more difficult with many more nuances(sp?) than working at a stationary post. I have done both. One takes a lot more common sense and inate ability........hence the reason why the standars for employment are different and why one type of training is that much more in depth.

I know you only want to defend your husbands, my former and your future line of work. But you need to face the reality and not suggest to a poster that the job of a PA and CBPO are one in the same in any sense.

That's a mighty broad brush you paint CBP with considering that you state you've "done both" jobs. You're comparing apples to oranges. Each has its good and bad extremes. To suggest that it's easier to be a CBP Officer on a primary line versus a PA is an unfair comparison, as they do differant jobs. I worked with both CBP officers and PAs in Iraq, and let me tell you that it was not the PAs getting things done over there. They were running around playing soldier and sucking up to the military in typical fashion. Anyone can get in a car and sit on a red X in the middle of the desert, chase down illegals and cuff them...lol. Many CBP officers are prior LE as well, myself included, and I can tell you that my observations of BP is that they are no more "LE" than CBP is. 6c is going to happen, so we'll see come this summer.
    The "auditer" mentality is there with some officers, however there are more CBP officers than PAs so that is no surprise. CBP is Inspections that started out unarmed, gradually went armed and now is what it is. A gradual change to a more "Officer" role. Neither is better than the other, they are differant.
    If you want "Police excitement" you need to be the police - City, County, State - Not in any position within CBP - BP or CBP.

The only thing I've found a surplus of with Border Patrol is attitudes and egos. Hell I alone outperformed 3 SRT guys on the range and would have beat the last one too had I not been worn out from the training during our Iraq training. This BP versus OFO attitude does the agency no good. If the BP is doing such a steller job, why the hell is the country over run with illegals? lol! Sucks being sucker punched like that eh?

Forum Member

Saw it....It's been stuck in the Senate since May having been read twice before the DHS Committe with no further actions taken.... and Bush has publically stated he will veto it.....
    We'll see this summer won't we?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by formerNOPD View Post
    We'll see this summer won't we?
    Don't get me wrong...I hope you'all get it....but it's going to cost a ton of money to do it.....and he's said he will veto the entire bill if that's still attached to it....

So, that's why I won't count on anything till it gets signed into law.....

Forum Member

So,,,,, are all you guys saying that if I am assigned at the port of Long Beach as a CBPO, that I will not be inspecting containers and boarding ships and such???

If that is true, I think I applied for a very different position than originally thought...

Do I get paid for this?
    From what we were told, the union expects Bush to veto. They're banking on having enough votes in the senate to over ride the veto.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by qixfeet View Post
    From what we were told, the union expects Bush to veto. They're banking on having enough votes in the senate to over ride the veto.
    Good luck to them....as it will be something the Dems support....not the Repubs....as Dems tend to support Unions.....and that's where this is going to head.....

Relocation Expert
    Maybe they'll pass that journeyman 13's for BP bill while they're at it...

Forum Member

Thanks "formerNOPD", "qixfeet" for the info!!!!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Defender of Brain Cells
    Can't we all just...get along???

Forum Member

Getting along

Quote Originally Posted by ArmouredSainT View Post
    Can't we all just...get along???
    That is funny you mention that!!! For some reason CBP and BP do not mesh well together. Why???!!! Beats me!!!

My husband went to through the IFI course back in June and was there until August. He told me while he was in the school, the BP swarmed around each other but never intermingled with the CBP and vice versa. He told me that it's always been that way. Once again...why? Couldn't tell ya!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Do I get paid for this?
    I've met a couple of BP guys and they seem pretty cool to me. We do different jobs. They know it, we know it. People naturally tend to hang with their own. I wouldn't say that BPA's and CBPO's don't mesh.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Forum Member

True...I know a few BP guys too!
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Forum Member
    All that hoorah bs of the academy will run off eventually. BP and CBP are actually kissing cousins after you get some years on the job and realize that your both in the same DHS.

I have yet to have a bad interaction with a BPA ever, and that is coming from having worked both the southern and northern borders. I think most of you are touching on the FLETC warrior syndrome, where niether side has done squat in the real world yet, but think one is better than the other.
    Out in the field, that is a mute point really. Go to work, do your job, and come home. End of story.

Forum Member

FYI - Just received this today:

December 17, 2007

MEMORANDUM

TO: CBP Chapter Presidents and CBP Legislative Coordinators

RE: LEO Provisions in FY 2008 Omnibus Spending Bill

SUMMARY: The House and Senate have negotiated an omnibus spending bill that includes LEO provisions for CBPOs. Prospects for passage and the President’s signature are still uncertain.

The omnibus spending bill to be acted on this week in the House and Senate includes a new Section 535 that provides a modified Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) retirement benefit to all Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBPOs) prospectively beginning July 2008. If enacted, Section 535 will grant a retirement enhancement for those current CBPOs who will not be able to serve 20 years under the standard LEO system and be at an age to retire early.

If enacted, Section 535 ensures that:

• Premium and overtime pay coverage is not affected. Half of yearly overtime pay will continue to be included in calculating the CBPO’s high-three salary.

• All current CBPOs who elect the new coverage will find their contribution to retirement increased by .5% and will receive a more generous LEO pension from July 2008 forward.

• Mandatory LEO retirement age of 57 years would be waived for all current CBPOs. All CBPOs hired after July 2008 would be subject to mandatory retirement at 57 years.

• The current Federal Employees Retirement System’s and Civil Service Retirement System’s age and service requirements would apply for those who meet those requirements before serving 20 years post July 2008. CBPOs will be eligible to retire after 20 years of post-July 2008 service at age 50 or 25 years of post-July 2008 service at any age.

The omnibus spending bill provides funding for the hiring of an additional 400 CBPOs in FY 2008. This past year, CBP developed a Workload Staffing Model (WSM) to generate estimates of staffing needed at the ports of entry to meet workload and mission requirements. CBP is directed to brief the Committees on Appropriations not later than January 31, 2008, on how it is using “the WSM to improve staffing resources to reduce airport and land port wait times, and to enhance performance in meeting customs revenue collection responsibilities.”

The omnibus spending bill also includes funding for the Office of Chief Human Capital Officer, but “[N]o funding is provided for MaxHR or any follow-on personnel system. Instead, $10,000,000 is provided to address the Department’s dismal results in the 2006 Federal Human Capital Survey.”

Also, as part of the omnibus spending bill, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is directed to submit a report to Congress on the implementation of the Performance Accountability and Standards System (PASS). The report must include: the number of employees who achieved each level of performance; a comparison between managers and nonmanagers relating to performance and pay increases; the type and amount of all pay increases that have taken effect for each level of performance; and, the attrition rate of employees covered by PASS. The bill also directs TSA to start a pilot program at seven airports which will require the screening of all airport employees for a 90-day trial period, after which the program will be assessed.

I will keep you posted on action on the FY 2008 omnibus spending bill as it moves through Congress this week. If you have any questions, please contact Jean Hutter in the Legislation Department at 202.572.5500, ext. 7021.

Colleen M. Kelley
    National President

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last