Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Do I get paid for this?
    The point is that the bill got signed. Does it really matter that it had to be stuck into the entire spending bill. Congrats to CBP and thanks to everyone who supported and pushed for this bill.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by qixfeet View Post
    Does it really matter that it had to be stuck into the entire spending bill.
    To me it does.....as it shows how some folks (like your local Congress folks and the current Administration) think of your job.....and the job of other US Gov Uniformed LEOs that are not covered and should be.......

Do I get paid for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    To me it does.....as it shows how some folks (like your local Congress folks and the current Administration) think of your job.....and the job of other US Gov Uniformed LEOs that are not covered and should be.......

We already know how many people think of us, but you gotta take your victories where you can get them.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Forum Member

The bottom line is the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Guess those other services should squeak more.

Like I've said all along, what have you done lately to help it happen?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by formerNOPD View Post

Like I've said all along, what have you done lately to help it happen?
    I'm not Uniformed Federal....so it doesn't bother me per say.....BUT....I do address this matter and several others with my Congressman everytime I see him out here or back in the District.....and chat with his staff about it....as I know several of them personally...

What do you do ....???

Forum Member

I'm not Uniformed Federal....so it doesn't bother me per say.....BUT....I do address this matter and several others with my Congressman everytime I see him out here or back in the District.....and chat with his staff about it....as I know several of them personally...

What do you do ....???
    Go search my posts and you'll find out what I do, have done and will continue to do.

What's with all the negative waves?

Your profile says you're Federal LEO, so uniformed or non uniformed what's your point?

This consistent negativity leads me to believe you're upset about something...

Date of Birth:
    May 7
    Are You Employed in the Law Enforcement Industry:
    Yes
    Law Enforcement Agency:
    DHS HQ
    Are You a Sworn Police Officer:
    Yes
    Interests:
    College Sports, Military History, target shooting
    Years Experience:
    FLEO
    How did you find Officer.com?:
    google
    Biography:
    Former Local LEO, Currently a Federal LEO

Operator
    Sigh....

I posted it to mean....."What do you do to make things right....???"

I know what you do for a living....Geez.....

I am talking about going to your Congressman....writting letters.....working with your Union...etc.......

Just like you asked me what I had done lately about things....

Forum Member
    Thanks for your support bear...

Now we can work on the other officers that deserve it.

And of course this will change the "face," of CBP in the future. No more retirees and so forth. But if you give a guy, or gal, a badge and a gun, and tell them to go enforce the law, and be put in harms way, then they deserve to be compensated.

Forum Member

Sigh....

I posted it to mean....."What do you do to make things right....???"

I know what you do for a living....Geez.....

I am talking about going to your Congressman....writting letters.....working with your Union...etc.......

Just like you asked me what I had done lately about things....

Like I said, that has been written numerous times in my posts. I've been writing, calling, emailing and encouraging others to support this since I've learned about the bill in 2005. I repeatedly encourage others here to continue such actions.

Also I was posting what you state you do for a living, not what I do.

That part in bold is from your profile.

Are you uniformed? Non-uniformed? What's your stake in this and why so negative towards this LEO coverage for CBP?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by formerNOPD View Post

Are you uniformed? Non-uniformed? What's your stake in this and why so negative towards this LEO coverage for CBP?
    Non-Uniformed.....1801 series.....and have no stake in this what so ever.....

It just irrites me that you are "Yippee we got it"....and not conerned about other Uniformed, Federal LEOs that should be covered as well.....thats all....

If that bothers you, then that's on you....as there are other folks out there that do more LE related stuff than your agency....

And before you spout, I know plenty of CBP folks that continue to tell me how jacked up your agency is and how the agency is hemoraging folks....even with this happening....and were shocked to get it because even though they wear uniforms/badges/ and all that....don't feel like they are really LE.....

I think everyone in Federal LE should be covered....but that's just me.....

And no....I have never applied for....tested for....or tried to get hired by your agency.....

Forum Member

Non-Uniformed.....1801 series.....and have no stake in this what so ever.....

It just irrites me that you are "Yippee we got it"....and not conerned about other Uniformed, Federal LEOs that should be covered as well.....thats all....

If that bothers you, then that's on you....as there are other folks out there that do more LE related stuff than your agency....

And before you spout, I know plenty of CBP folks that continue to tell me how jacked up your agency is and how the agency is hemoraging folks....even with this happening....and were shocked to get it because even though they wear uniforms/badges/ and all that....don't feel like they are really LE.....

I think everyone in Federal LE should be covered....but that's just me.....

And no....I have never applied for....tested for....or tried to get hired by your agency.....
    Ok, I see your point, however it's pretty crass if you ask me. Yes, I'm excited for us. Just like the postal service people were excited for themselves when they got it as well. If I were in your agency and did not have it, I'd be fighting for it as well. Sure the agency has it's problems, however it's not unique, it's just one of the largest if not THE largest agency in the federal government.

And yes, for the record, I think all uniform law enforcement officers for the federal goverment as well as non uniformed people should get coverage. BTW - our agency is one of a very few agencies that make more money than the government spends on us, so if it's warranted (6c) by any agency, it definately should be those that make the government money!

You say you've never worked this job so who are you to say it is or it is not LE? What agency do you work for? Well, let me see... Gun, Badge, Cuffs, Arrest powers, LEO retirement.... We board ships, search, seize, arrest people coming into the US with contraband, terrorist connections, ATF violations or any other violations of federal law, state felony arrest warrants, federal warrants....
    No, I guess it's not LE. Oh, we have 24hour carry too, imagine that. Must be some sort of special security. Tell one of these CBPO's at el paso or laredo or San Ysidro that and I think they'd beg to differ. You think you're the only person here with LE experiance and somehow that qualifies you over other people to determine who is and who is not LE? Please. Give it a rest. If you don't like the fact that we're happy about something that has been a long time warranted, well that is sir, your problem. Have a good rest of the holidays.
    Regards,
    Fmr.

Operator
    See...the problem with your agency is that one area could be highspeed....while others are digging through bags and sitting on their collective asses at Airports not doing a thing......

Are all "real LEOs"....? Yeah....but I know enough older guys that work for your agency that really don't like the fact that they are made to carry on duty.....

As for me...I am a 1801 (for now) and don't have status...nor do I want it. I will be retired and back home in the next few years......if not sooner.

No...I am not bitter...and have never wanted your job (as suggested by several PMs from foks) as I have worked Military Customs abroad, I have no desire to do so full-time. It's not my bag....

I do applaud the fact that you'all got it....but think that ANY Federal LEO should be getting it as well....and it irrates me that you are on your "Yippie we got it" kick and not still wanting to get with your Union or Reps in Congress to make others get it as well......

I work for you HQ....and have had numerous arguements over this....and will so until EVERYONE is covered.... Not just CBP......

And if you think you will be able to transfer from one 6c Agency to another....especially if you are over 37.....good luck... BP guys can't do it....and I don't see it happening to you'all......

Do I get paid for this?
    See...the problem with your agency is that one area could be highspeed....while others are digging through bags and sitting on their collective asses at Airports not doing a thing......

Are all "real LEOs"....? Yeah....but I know enough older guys that work for your agency that really don't like the fact that they are made to carry on duty.....

As for me...I am a 1801 (for now) and don't have status...nor do I want it. I will be retired and back home in the next few years......if not sooner.

No...I am not bitter...and have never wanted your job (as suggested by several PMs from foks) as I have worked Military Customs abroad, I have no desire to do so full-time. It's not my bag....

I do applaud the fact that you'all got it....but think that ANY Federal LEO should be getting it as well....and it irrates me that you are on your "Yippie we got it" kick and not still wanting to get with your Union or Reps in Congress to make others get it as well......

I work for you HQ....and have had numerous arguements over this....and will so until EVERYONE is covered.... Not just CBP......

And if you think you will be able to transfer from one 6c Agency to another....especially if you are over 37.....good luck... BP guys can't do it....and I don't see it happening to you'all......
    Dude the bill just passed. Why shouldn't officers be excited. Everyone agrees that all uniformed officers should get 6c... well at lest most on this board. Don't you think this is a step in the right direction? I could be wrong but you do seem upset at the fact that the bill passed. No one said the fight stops here. I just don't see why you are so upset that CBP officers are happy about getting 6C. When the next agency gets it are they not supposed to be happy either?
    Don't tase me bro!!

Forum Member

Does any of this 6C stuff have anything to do with the GS vs. GL thing? Are Border Patrol Agents on the GL scale and are CBPOs on the GS scale? My background investigator told me that I'd be better suited as a CBPO than BPA because it's a "better" job? I guess I'm wondering which way I should go, like the thread starter is...
    BPA Status:
    Exam - Completed (Passed)
    Pre-Employment Forms - Completed
    Qualifications - Completed
    Medical Exam - Failed (Due to mild color deficiency)
    Structered Interview - Completed (Passed)
    Drug Screening - Completed (Passed)
    Fitness - Completed (Passed)
    Background Investigation - Pending (In Sec. Office)

CBPO Status:
    Exam - Completed (Passed)

Forum Member

It truly amazes me the negativity that some people like to offer.

1. Why would anyone put another person down in their moment of happiness?

2. I did not see anywhere that certain people would not like to help another agency out in getting 6c (as a matter of fact, just about everyone on this post is all for helping another agency out to get 6c or at least pointing them in the right direction to obtain 6c)

3. Sounds to me like some individuals that are about to retire, the "I don't give a damn or I'm leaving so it's doesn't matter syndrome" starts to leak through the veins. (Why is that a constant with some people who are about to leave? What we can't still chip in and help the ones that are being left behind and who are still working their tails off)

Yes, CBP getting 6c is a fantastic victory and one that has been deserving since CBP came about. As has been said numerous of times on these boards, anyone carrying a weapon, who have arrest authority, etc. should be given 6c status. That by far is a positive way to let employees know that they will be taken care of upon retirement with the benefits that it gives.

I stress anyone carrying a weapon, have arrest authority, etc. should be given 6c no matter if someone else feels they are not performing LE duties. I say this because all forms of LE employment are going to be sitting on their butts at some point in time and not fully performing LE duties. No one agency can say they do more LE duties than another because all agencies have desks (at least I think that's what our supervisors sit behind). Whether you are stationary (CBP on the border/airports or BP on their checkpoints or FBI/ICE doing paperwork in their offices) or mobile (CBP working cargo, seaports, etc. or BP on their ATV's or FBI/ICE in their Tahoe's and Suburbans or Air Marshall in their airplanes) it just doesn't matter, as pointed out in prior posts, everyone deserves 6c. Now, what people do in order to get 6c if they don't already have it, that is up to them. But believe me, coming on here and downing people for obtaining 6c and being thrilled about it isn't going to help another agency.

4. Daywalker78, it's surprising that the background investigator would tell you one was better than the other? I would like to know what his background is. It all depends on what agency you want to go with. There are differences and then there are similarities. That is just something you will have to decide. The best place I can suggest to go to is cbp.gov and then click on "Careers" and go from there. Do some research on there and then you can google as well. Obviously, from some of the posts, your answer might not be here but if you just do some research you might just find a step in the right direction.
    Toughmommy

CBP Process:
    Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
    TO: Nov. 21, 2007
    Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
    Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
    Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
    Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
    Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
    BI: being reviewed
    Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Operator
    Why shouldn't officers be excited.
    Apparently the only ones excited are the ones on here and the ones trying to get on with them....as all my friends that work for them aren't....and are still trying to find ways to escape their ports....

Don't you think this is a step in the right direction?
    Have I said any different...?

I could be wrong but you do seem upset at the fact that the bill passed.
    Only thing I am upset with....is that it's not including everyone..... I guess you haven't got the point even though I have said it several times....

No one said the fight stops here.
    Pffft....Most CBP folks aren't going to give a crap about anyone but themselves....it's apparent from seeing some of the responses.... Next time you see your Congressman/women you going to bring the subject up....? I do...along with a host of other things when I get him cornered....

Once again...not upset that they got it....just upset others aren't......

Forum Member

Let me jump in the fire, To my brother in blue FormerNOPD, I am on your side, and qixfeet's too. Even ToughMommy who isn't an officer is cool too! So Bearcat, just leave man if you can't support a victory that was well deserved for US. It should have been this way from the beginning and it is well deserved for US! Period. I like my port and my job so take your negativity elseware man.

Forum Member
    I really can't find anything negative in Bearcats posts.

He just said others deserve it as well.

I agree, and I am CBP.

Shake it easy, where all on the same side.

Forum Member

I am CBP and I too think all LEO should get 6c. I have np fighting for it. Bear people in the Airport have danger too. There is always things going on. Officers getting attacked, fights etc.. Since you are not in this agency you might not know of some of the people we catch. What's to stop a terrorist or other crazy person to go for an officers gun? There are also several airports that get a ridiculous amount of drug seizures a year. We also transport our own prisoners. To be honest Bear I think your information on our agency is lacking a bit.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    I am CBP and I too think all LEO should get 6c. I have np fighting for it. Bear people in the Airport have danger too. There is always things going on. Officers getting attacked, fights etc.. Since you are not in this agency you might not know of some of the people we catch. What's to stop a terrorist or other crazy person to go for an officers gun? There are also several airports that get a ridiculous amount of drug seizures a year. We also transport our own prisoners. To be honest Bear I think your information on our agency is lacking a bit.
    I work for DHS @ HQ....so...surprisingly enough... I know all about the CBP Mission.......

Forum Member

I work for DHS @ HQ....so...surprisingly enough... I know all about the CBP Mission.......
    If you know all this then why make the comment about the airport? You must hear about the things that go on.

Forum Member

This may come as a surprise to you but their are many in DHS HQ that don't have a clue what a CBP officer does. Hell, their are quite a few in CBP HQ that don't know what a CBP officer does.

This 6c coverage is no different than any other 6c coverage. Officers will be able to transfer to any other 6c covered position provided they qualify. The only exception to this will be for those of us who are over 37 when we were covered but again this will not affect those under 37 when covered.

Bear, You made the comparison to BP. BP has actually raised their age to 40. This does affect their ability to transfer to other 6c covered agencies if they were hired at 37, 38 or 39 only.

Will this 6c coverage stop people from leaving the agency? Personally, No I don't think so. There has to be a big change in the way the agency treats its employee's. Management has to start acting like a enforcement agency. Enforcement is a mind set. Management currently does not make policy with any enforcement mind set. The legacy agencies that make up the majority of the current CBP agency were in the process of changing into a more enforcement based agencies. The merge slowed this process down. Like any Federal Government agency change comes very slowly and by slowly I am talking 5 to 10 years. So right now you have the agency hiring people that want to be law enforcement officers, get the job, and get frustrated by conflicting messages and policies from management and move on.

As for airport vs land border, I have worked airport, seaport and land border. The amount of enforcement you do at any port is very port dependant. The previous airport I was worked at was much more enforcement minded then the land border port I am currently assigned. The only place I got injured with a time-loss injury (a broken arm) was at an airport in an altercation with an alien. The sterile areas of an airport are far from sterile I can assure you.
    There are many good officers working the airport and they are not just sitting on their butts and deserve the 6c coverage as much as the land border guys. Just as their are many officers in the Land Border that are retired on duty and are not doing anything but marking time.

Sorry for the long winded post
    FB

Forum Member

Cbp Vs Bp

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker78 View Post
    Does any of this 6C stuff have anything to do with the GS vs. GL thing? Are Border Patrol Agents on the GL scale and are CBPOs on the GS scale? My background investigator told me that I'd be better suited as a CBPO than BPA because it's a "better" job? I guess I'm wondering which way I should go, like the thread starter is...
    Daywalker,
    Not sure of your situation?
    But if you are a younger guy which you have to be at least below 40 to get on with BP. Now CBP and BP are both covered positions. BP has mandatory OT hence the AUO. CBP does not have AUO we are paid double time when when we do OT. Lets say that you were stationed at San Ysidro, I can see that you might be "FORCED" to work OT if you are the "LOW EARNER" on the shift. I am not in San Ysidro CA and unaware of the situation there but if it is like anywhere else in CBP land they are short staffed so you may be FORCED alot more?
    Since you live in CALI and are used to the SUN and dryness the BP wouldn't be a bad choice. I wouldn't want to be CBPO at San Ysidro. A CBPO on the Northern Border isn't too bad! If you want more enforcement as a CBPO then Southern border is for you. Not too much enforcement is done on the Northern Border as a CBPO which sucks.
    Hope this helps!

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    This may come as a surprise to you but their are many in DHS HQ that don't have a clue what a CBP officer does.
    True.....but there are a few of us that hangout/drink/work with CBP guys/gals and know what they do. There are also a few of us that were trained to do CPB stuff back when we were in the military (by legacy Customs folks)....so......

Hell, their are quite a few in CBP HQ that don't know what a CBP officer does.
    Heard that as well.....

The only exception to this will be for those of us who are over 37 when we were covered but again this will not affect those under 37 when covered.
    That is correct...

Bear, You made the comparison to BP. BP has actually raised their age to 40. This does affect their ability to transfer to other 6c covered agencies if they were hired at 37, 38 or 39 only.
    Yes they have.... From what I have heard, if you one gets hired by BP at 38....they won't be able to go over to another 6c agency. Exceptions are on a case by case basis.....and are very, very low from the folks I know....that are in the positions to know......

Will this 6c coverage stop people from leaving the agency? Personally, No I don't think so. There has to be a big change in the way the agency treats its employee's. Management has to start acting like a enforcement agency. Enforcement is a mind set. Management currently does not make policy with any enforcement mind set. The legacy agencies that make up the majority of the current CBP agency were in the process of changing into a more enforcement based agencies. The merge slowed this process down. Like any Federal Government agency change comes very slowly and by slowly I am talking 5 to 10 years. So right now you have the agency hiring people that want to be law enforcement officers, get the job, and get frustrated by conflicting messages and policies from management and move on.
    I do hope EVERYONE that is in the CBP hiring process reads this.... and realizes that it is coming from someone that works for CBP.....and this is what I have been hearing for years....

Forum Member

I agree BEARCAT357

I too work with CBP and as stated by Bearcat357 about EVERYONE reading the last statement by Firebug is 100% true!

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last