Summer Rain

Arrow MALE officers: How do you REALLY feel about women cops??

I'm only in my first month on the job and I'm really starting to wonder about one of the officers opinion of me. I know it could only be a pre-judged opinion because I haven't been in any situations for anyone to really say "Oh yeah, she's alright" or "She's not going to make a good officer." I was just reading an article online about female police officers and their male counterparts not being totally exceptant of them. I hear this one particular guy make comments about other females in other departments and I don't know what to think he means by some of them. To add insult to injury, I'm the lone female on our department. So what I'm wondering is how do you all TRULY feel about females on the job. Just like race relations in America, eventhough we've come a long way.. there is still plenty of room for improvement.

No Longer Active

2 of the best cops I've ever worked with were women. One of them was 5 foot nothing, 100 and nothing and older than my mom....but she was one of the best goddamn cops I could ever ask to work with.

Forum Member

ooof, well, I have only worked with 2 before. The first one that comes to mind, I had never truely seen in action, but she was in the military and seemed to carry herself well. The second one, forget about it. She stood by and watched another officer break up a fight, my partner and I had to take care of the second person involved.

Forum Member

I think that women belong in LE. Our agency got our first female officer about 5 years; boy, you should have seen the opposition. I think that its an issue that bigger agencies dealt with 20 years ago, and it shouldn't matter.
    I get along great with our females ( we have 2 now).

They are a necessary evil....only kidding I have worked with many good female officers aswell as a few totally useless ones. However, I can say exactly the same about my male collegues. IMHO as long as female officer can protect herself (or me) when the going gets tough, there's no problem (again that applies to men aswell). I have never witnessed sexism in my station, you'll only get a hard time from the other officers if you are a cr#p officer and then it does not matter what sex you are. I think that you will always get friendly banter, just make sure you give as good as you get.

Scream if you wanna go faster

No Longer Active
    Central Florida (by way of Oak Hill, WV...but I don't know Sunny)

You wil, invariably, run into someone who feels that way. Every agency has them, so it's up to you to do nothing more than you normally would to perform your job. The bottom line is, you made it farther than other people have, so you must have prooved something to someone already.

This is advice for a rookie, not a female rookie...don't try to fit in with everyone first off. Be professional, be respectful, and get involved when possible, but don't push yourself on the rest of the team. It only helps to alienate you. With every team/squad/shift, there is already an active hiearchy and, dare I say, clique. You'll be the new "guy", so you won't exactly be welcomed with open arms. Just relax, live, learn and do your best. Before you know it, you'll be accepted as one "them".

My experience with females. I've worked with some that had more heart than any guy I knew, but by the same token, I've worked with some that made me want to handle a hot call by myself than have them back me up. I can also say the same thing about male cops. There are some that had my respect from the get go, and others who never will.

Some say that women are my sympathetic(or maybe empathetic), but I don't think you can make generalizations like that. I've seen some that were excellent cops, but in the situations that sometimes call for a delicate touch, and have generally been reserved for females, become even more calloused than a male.

Suspects...some respond favorably to females, others negatively. Depends on their view of women.

Besides, if it wasn't for women, WE'D have to search the skanks!

Senior Veteran

I have two partners that are women. Other than the fact that I feel there is too much estrogen sometimes, they are great to work with. I have had one of them back me in a fight, and her performance was not a problem. I work on a daily basis with apporx. 6 female officers, one of which trying out for SWAT with me. How can you complain about that? You can either do your job or leave. I have also observed the biggest baddest guy "place" himself into handcuffs at the request of female officers. This same guy would want to fight it out with a male officer. Male, female, black, white, asian, or any other thing you can think of, I dont care. We are ALL LEOs. If you do your job, thats what matters.
    As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Forum Member

Besides, if it wasn't for women, WE'D have to search the skanks!

Men gotta love em!

I was wondering the same thing but summer you beat me to the question. Then i thought about what you said and i really don't care what men think of women officers. If its meant to be then its meant to be. As long as you have complete loyalty towards your partner and protect him with your life that should be good enough.
    "To each his own"

JKT
    Seasoned Veteran

At one time, I had two female Sergeants and three female Deputies that I worked closely with. I still have a female partner and one female Sergeant. If I had a problem with female officers, I would definitely be in the wrong department

As others have stated, as long as the PERSON does the job to the best of their abilities, it doesn't matter if they are male or female; black, white, brown, green or purple. We are all Law Enforcement Officers.

No matter what uniform we wear.

I, too, have worked with some questionable officers, both male and female. If they aren't cut out for the job, they aren't cut out for the job.

Period.
    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

JKT@copmail.com

O.com's #2 trouble maker

Cool

The BEST partner I EVER had was a woman. I would not hesitate to be partnered with or be backed up by a woman officer.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

No Longer Active

Whether I am working with a male or female makes no difference to me so long as the person can do the job.

Forum Member

I agree that as long as the PERSON does the job they are ok in my book. I never have had the oppertunity to work with a bad female MP but have had a lot of lazy ***** male MP's who I think were better off as cannon fodder than the air they breathe. I think you should just go with the flow and see what pans out. You can not please everyone and those that do accept you as one of them will be the ones who are the better people. Good luck in all you do.

Klar
    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA! DMS 525's Avatar

Both setbacks I have had in my career were on account of female officers. First one thought she was the baddest b*** who ever wore a badge, but could sure disappear in a hurry when the real fertilizer hit the oscillating ventilator! Goes sucking up to our sector supervisor with a bunch of BS lies. That little a*s kissing EASY DOES IT takes it right to the Chief, and I get called in and get reamed out good!

The other one was a whining, stuck-up, anti social little snot who was not cut out for the job, or any other job that involved dealing with people. I was going to be suspended for a week without pay for allegedley being brusk and intimidating to her, all according to her SGT, who was looking for nothing other than my position.
    This was a private security company; that top manager who made that decision was about as worthless as a chocolate teapot himself, and I told them where to take that job, and where to stick it. I found out a short time later that little witch who started all the trouble was none other than his frickin' daughter!
    Needless to say, neither of them lasted long in the business.

Had one other; she thought she was passed over for a more favorable position because she was a female. I had to tell her the problem was not her gender; the problem was HER! Her attitude clearly conveyed that she wasn't going to go out and do the same work as the rest of us; she was going to go out and outdo us all! I told her until she learned to pull in those horns, and go along with the norm of things, her chances were slim to none of ever getting transferred.

You get those who think they're Billie Jean King's cadre, those who think they're bigger and badder than any man, and then on the other side of the coin there are those who bat their eyelashes and shake their little butts to get their way.

However, for the most part, I have had pretty good luck working with female officers, and there is a place for them. I admire a female police officer who does not forget they are a lady first, yet can still be "one of the guys."

I know it's a passionate subject, and I know exactly how you feel, but let's watch some of the wording. Thanks....Lawdog

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: FLLawdog ]
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Forum Member

I may only be an explorer right now, but I believe a female officer can just as good a job as a male officer. We all have one common goal, and that is what we do. Be safe out there guys.
    "Hello? Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

No Longer Active

In my career, I've worked with useless femal partners too. And there have been no shortage of useless male counterparts. I guess where I'm going with it is that geneder isn't the issue.

I think DMS is saying roughly the same thing, right?

Forum Member

I agree with Spec. It doesn't matter if they are male or female, it's the PERSON that counts. We've had some good female officers & we've had some bad ones. But we've had bad male officers too. The real baptism on either gender is how they handle themselves in a fight. It doesn't have to be a knock-down-brawl. If they back off or are tentative about being forceful, they're not going to get a very good rating around the station.

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA! DMS 525's Avatar

Webster's New World Dictionary defines that word you deleted as a bundle of sticks tied together, which is about all this little worm was.

I'll e-mail you sometime, and tell you about him.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

No Longer Active

I guess that I have mixed feelings about the subject...mainly because the few females I have worked with were complete lops. I know, however, that the other 99 percent of women at my department are probably squared away.

In our jail facilities, men and women deputies do not work together (men at the men's jail, women at the women's jail).
    To be honest, I like that setup. We get in less trouble when we make an off color joke because there are no women around to offend!!

It is unfortunate that the few politically correct, cowardly, frigid female officers that cry sexual harrassment to get promoted have ruined it for all female LEOs. Women in general have to prove themselves much more then men in the same position when on the streets, mainly because of a few worthless losers.

Just as a side note, there are just as many worthless male cops as their female counterparts.

Forum Member

Cool

Firstly, I think females are great, and I think female cops are really great!

Summer you will find that there are all sorts of situations that you will come across and there are different ways to approach each situation.
    There are situations where I'll have to go in hard to sort someone out, but in the same situation my female partner can get the same or even better result by...well by just being a female!
    ie We arrived at a disturbance and there was another cop there on his own. There was a male who was off the show and was beating the cr*p out of this officer's car with a big lump of wood. (The cop was trying to protect this idiots girlfriend)
    When we turned up he came for our car so he could redecorate it for us, but I would not let him. So there I am facing up to this bloke who was intent on damaging me or my car. I'm trying to look like I know what I'm doing and wondering how much I would feel, when my female partner walks straight past me and stands right in front of this bloke, puts her hands on her hips and says, "You can't hit me cos I'm a girl" !!
    This bloke then lowers the lump of wood and backs off! Probably saved me a few bruises.

Don't worry about what you havn't got, just use what you have got.

That said, the only problem I do have with working with female officers is that my wife hates it!
    If you start to hate someone, you should try harder to understand them.
    If you miss someone, you should use telescopic sights.

Veteran

A "plug" is a "plug" whether it's got a male or female end.
    Play And Stay Safe...Wear Your Vest!

Forum Member

Cool

Well, I am the first and only female officer for our department. As far as the men in my dept. go they treat me as an equal and I feel I pull my weight. I have had numerous comments said about me by neighboring departments by guys who are still "Old School" but when it hits the fan and they need back-up I will be there....An Officer is an Officer regardless of gender, but you have to want to be in the job and take the good stuff with the bad stuff--It takes character.

Forum Member

When I first started, we had a female officer at our dept. I went to high school with her and I would'nt have ever pictured her as an officer! In school, she was extremely shy and reserved. After working with her for a couple of years, I found that she was one of the best officers I've worked with! She no longer works with us; she married some low life that won't take care of his kids, etc... I see her every now and again and tried to get her to come back to the dept. While working with her, I noticed that all of the other officers would go out of their way to make sure she had backup! I guess that alot of guys are afraid that as a female, you can't take care of yourself and it makes them uneasy! Take care of yourself and your other officers and you will be fine! One day, you will see exactly how the guy you're talking about feels about you and you will know it instinctively. He may act a certain way, but he probably has respect for you because you are an officer!!! Break the ice, cut up with him and some of the other officers. You don't have anything to prove.

"I treat everyone the same, except for the lazy and unwilling" "For these, I have no tolerance!"

Senior Veteran
    Strategically located between NY and Miami

Nothing earth shattering here-women are just like men-some good some bad.

One of the best partners I've had was a female. She absolutely balanced being feminine (on and off duty) with being an assertive, strong willed professional police officer better than any other female officer I've known. She was also the happiest and most outgoing partner I've had, and I often went to work early (no, we weren't sleeping together-we were both married, and I loved her like a sister, and of course there was the "police partner" bond.)

I was told by "old school" types she would run from a fight (just based on being a woman-she was fairly new at the time and they had not worked with her.) I was especially nervous since this was a rough town with 7 redneck "honky tonk" bars (sorry-not being PC enough..."establishments serving alcohol in a country western environment, catering primarily to common, blue collar, hard working people...") and one morning we got into a mess-two brothers on cocaine/alcohol. Although I got hurt, tackling one and subsequently taking me and him down a small cliff (dislocated right shoulder and tore muscles and ligaments in my left knee) she was right there clawing, cussing, and wearing the main one out with her nightstick! The other ran after he kicked her and she drew her nightstick.

Although part of me wishes my old partner (six four-225 lbs) had been there in this 2 minute "rolling around in the ditch fight" (guy felt no pain and was strong as a gorilla) THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD FAULT HER! She was giving 110% and did not leave my side!

My main concern is the natural male-female attractions that are sure to happen in this profession. Both males and females need to be aware of it, and supervisors MUST be held accountable, given todays climate of litigation for sexual harrassment. This is equally important so that the female troops aren't made to feel uncomfortable, AND so that the agency isn't left open to civil redress for this. I was visiting another agency recently and an off duty female officer (with about 46DD's-hey I'm a trained observer!) came in, and an on duty male officer started hugging her. Bad juju. He didn't hug me, he didn't hug the other officers...

Also, if a male officer decides to "rub the shoulders" of a female officer, thats fine, as long as he gives one to all other officers present, male or female. If there are no other officers present, then hands off. These "frat boy thinks he's slick" doing these little things lead to bigger problems.

Policies should be in place to assure relations between the sexes-on and off duty- are just professional, and should be strict, just shy of infringing on the officers rights. SUPERVISORS MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!

This is necessary in todays coed LE: the afore mentioned partner was one of the best cops I have ever been around UNTIL she "fell in love" with a coworker, and left her husband. They did "Okay" at balancing the two, until their first big fight, and then it was down the tubes. Came to work crying, cryed all shift, seemed distant, etc. He got mad at the whole department and it was HELL ON EARTH for a solid month. She left law enforcement soon after, and he resigned and went with another agency.
    People have more fun than anybody.

Forum Member

I have worked with several female officers on the job. Except for one of them, all the others were excellent officers. Of course the only left that is still with us it the one that is worthless. This gal can't work accidents, DUI's, or investigate crime. Apparently she has some "juice" with someone higher up because they think she is just great. I really miss working with the others that have left the dept. But the good new is the worthless one is on the other shift
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate??"