Forum Member

Springfield XD .45 vs. Glock

my department is looking to make a switch to either the sprinfield xd in a .45 or going to glock, most likely in a .40...any thoughts/opinions on which is better

adult swim addict
    performance wise both the glock and the xd's are a good choice.

some people like the palm safety on the xd's, some hate them.

the "glock vs <insert random manufacturer here>" has been beat to death on these forums. pretty much boils down to personal preference.

personally, i dont like the way the glocks feel. the first time i picked up an xd .45 at the gun shop i said to myself "sold."
    My dog can find your HONOR STUDENT when he's lost in the woods
    ~~
    If dogs dont go to heaven, then I want to go where they go.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    There is something to be said for the fact that everytime a new polymer pistol comes out, it is judged against the Glock.

The Glock is the standard.

I own two Glocks and one XD. I prefer the Glock.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member

I researched the heck out of this a few months back. You're not going to find a definitive answer. The camp is mixed 50/50. I went to the range and rented both. They both fired well. I preferred the XD 45 grip and shot a little better with it but ultimately bought the glock 21sf just out of repuation. No regrets both are great guns. In fact, I tell female officers that want the glock to try out the springfield xd .45 b4 committting.

Forum Member

I don't care for the Glock, due to the grip angle (points high for me). The XD is the only plastic gun I own, and I like it a lot.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Believe it or not, the "points high" thing is simply due to muscle memory from another handgun (usually comes from 1911 owners).

If that's your only gripe, then "reprogramming" is fairly easy. If you use sighted fire, its a non-issue.

You would not be ill-armed with either pistol.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Forum Member
    It is a personal preference..

As for the history, the XD's were originally an M-2000 model made by a no name croatia manufactorer many years ago. Springfield came across them and bought the rights.

Alot of people say the same things about both firearms, positive and negative. Glock has been used by LE forever and a day, so its trusted by many. The con to what I hear over and over, is the grip comfort. Some really just dont like em, but some wont own anything else but a Glock.

The XD's have the safety grip many like, and there are those that dont like it. The recoil is softer then a Glock, as the XD has dual recoil springs.

Some say its alot easy to tear down an XD as compared to a Glock.

I dont know, but in my own preference, especially since our department gave us a list to choose from, I went XD, and love it more then anything!

Forum Member

Blackdog, it may be that Glocks pointing high does come mostly from 1911 owners, but my SIGs don't point high, nor S&W's, Brownings, FN's, etc. etc.

I am old enough to have fired some pre-WWII European target and free pistols, which were all designed to be fired with the wrist bent, or they would point high. I would hazard a guess that Gaston Glock based his design on those types of guns.

With all the good points of Glocks, why should everyone have to adjust to fit the gun? The gun should be made to fit the users.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

A Glock was my first handgun and I've owned 3 different models over the years. I've always been the first to say a Glock was a great choice for a duty/off duty weapon. Still am. Earlier this summer I was in a local gun shop and curiosity got the best of me. I picked up a XD 9mm and really liked the feel of the grip. I got a good deal on it so I took it home. Its very similar to my Glock 19 but I have to say I prefer the Glock trigger. Its close call but I would choose the Glock over the XD.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    With all the good points of Glocks, why should everyone have to adjust to fit the gun?
    Never said they should. The gun fits ME. If it dosent fit YOU, then there are plenty of alternatives. As I stated above, either is adequate for it's purpose. I just prefer the Glock and believe it's the better tool. Some carpenters prefer one brand of saw, some prefer others. They all get the job done.

Even in this "politically correct, polite society" we don't all have to agree.

Forum Member
    If I wasn't already so entrenched in magazines, holsters, duty gear, etc., for the Glock 21, I'd probably buy a Springfield XD 45 Tactical. As it is, I don't want to invest in all new leather, magazines, and other ancillary gear for a new platform that isn't much better than what I've got.

In truth, I just want Glock to come out with a 45 ACP Tactical/Practical like the G34 and G35. It should have a longslide, 5.5" threaded barrel, adjustable high profile night sights (Meprolights), 3.5lb disconnector, extended slide stop, beveled magwell, and be capable of 2" groups at 25yds.

This is one advantage XD has over Glock, right now.
    Last edited by jwise; 10-25-2007 at 10:33 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Forum Member

I'm an old 1911 shooter, and purchased an XD last year. It was an amazingly easy transition for me, and I like the pistol very well.

I just don't think Glock and .45acp mix very well. It's probably the real reason they fielded the .45GAP, a solution in search of a real problem.
    For quality law enforcement and military gear check Green Mountain Tactical

Forum Member
    I don't understand, why don't Glock and .45 ACP mix well? Do you mean kabooms from unsupported chambers, or do you mean the round is just too big for the frame?
    J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Deputy
    to make it easy for you just remember this....

Glock
    _________

All others

yep that is 1000000000% correct
    My statements do not represent my agency.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwise View Post
    I don't understand, why don't Glock and .45 ACP mix well? Do you mean kabooms from unsupported chambers, or do you mean the round is just too big for the frame?
    All of the .45acp Glocks have large grips that require a large hand. The KBs you mention occurred with early .40S&W models that lacked the chamber support for the high-pressure .40S&W round. Unlike the .40, the .45acp is a nice low-pressure round.

Many folks think Glock developed the .45GAP so they could field a .45 caliber pistol with a decent grip size. Just what the world needs, a proprietary .45 caliber round.
    For quality law enforcement and military gear check Green Mountain Tactical

Forum Member
    Ok, just making sure you weren't talking about the kaboom issue, because you are correct, it's not the 45s at issue.

I don't mind the grip size, but it IS big!
    J. Wise

DEMONS...COME OUT!!!
    Both xd and blocks are sound pistols.That being said I'm gonna toot the horn of xd.
    XD's have the same grip angle as 1911(thank you J.M.B),backstrap safety, IMO a safer extractor than glock's(manually cycling rounds),ambi. mag.release.Before someone says it i know you can get that in sf glock so I beat you to it.I also like the fact that xd rifleings are tradionally cut instead of polygonal.let the burns beginNot suppose to shoot cast bullets in polyies (due to lead shear I think).Only jacketed.With the way copper has gone may have to cast your own oneday.Dont know about caliber changes in glocks but it is simple in xd',maybe someone can enlighten me about glocks.The xd is still made in croatia,wish they made em in the states, name over there is HS2000.Springfield just has rights to the one for the usa so they stamp them those ones different.You can tell by the "US" in the serial.Good luck.
    Thomas

Forum Member
    Issued a Glock 22 for on duty. Had a G27 for off duty. Shot a friend's xd45 and sold the 27. I carry a 4" xd45 and really enjoy shooting it. I also shoot the glock fine. I can shoot either one, but I do point shoot the xd better. I like the glock trigger break and reset a little better. I like the grip angle and mag release and breakdown of the xd better. I should mention for those who might not know, my glock duty gun is a .40, which IMO kicks more than the .45.