Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

HK P2000 or SW M&P

OK I dont want to start a vs. thread. But im torn between the 2. My dept allows its officers to have 2 backup/off-duty firearms. So my duty is a Glock 22, backup is a Glock 27 (both .40 cal) while on my tour.

Im now looking into an off duty weapon in 9mm (full or compact). Its between the HK P2000(sk) w/LEM or the SW M&P(c) 9mm. If any LEOs or gun fanatics shot either the 2, what would you recommend? Yes I know this is a preference question but I just want feedback, information and possibly opinions.

Edit: People who are offended by other people's opinion on this topic, dont start anything.
    Last edited by ChgoPaintball; 10-20-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Since you want opinions, here you go.

Not a fan of 9mm. Prefer .45, but if I were you I would buy either weapon in 40 as well. Keep everything the same/simple.

I have a very strong dis-like of all Smith autos. (But will bet my life on their revolvers.)

I have not fired the P2000, but if the LEM trigger on it is anything like the one on my USP 45, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I am sure others with more specific info will be alonng soon...
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

LE Geek

I own the M&P40c. It's really a great shooting gun. The trigger has some goofy overtravel that I'm still getting used to, but it hasn't affected accuracy, just feels funny while dry firing.

Do I get paid for this?
    The trigger pull on the H&K 2000 is a little long, but other than that its a good weapon.

Forum Member
    Thank you thank you. More info/ opinions the better.

Someone told me there is a firing range that "rents" handguns for about an hour to fire them. I have to find the place and give it a try.

I was thinking about keeping it all simple by buying all my firearms .40 cal.

Banned

P2000 all the way...

Not so Special Agent...
    I was issued the P2000 over 2 years ago and have put it through hell, literally. Never had a single problem, not even one jam with it. Haven't fired the S&W, but if I had to choose sight unseen between a H&K and a S&W semi-auto, I'd choose the H&K any day of the week. By the way, get the .40...
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Forum Member
    i sat down long and hard and I decided .40 Why, because my dept uses. My duty uses it. Its just logic there.

Called my buddy. He told me the range that lets you rent so Im going to see if i can go tomorrow to give these 2 beasts a try and then I will decide. Until i do go, Im liking the opinions, ideas and feedback.

Thanks

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by qixfeet View Post
    The trigger pull on the H&K 2000 is a little long, but other than that its a good weapon.
    +1 on the H&K LEM trigger. I don't have a P2000, but I do own and have carried extensively the full sized USP .45 and compact .40 (both with LEM triggers). Although they're both good, serviceable weapons, my first question would be, 'Why not just carry your Glock Model 27 as an off-duty weapon, as well as your back-up?' It's smaller than the S&W and no larger than the P2000sk, has a more potent (.40 S&W) caliber, works exactly like your primary duty weapon (Glock Model 22) and you don't need to buy another pistol unless you just want to (in which case go ahead!).
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Forum Member

I haven't shot the S&W, but I own a P2000 LEM and I love it!!!!

If I had time, I would explain my reasoning, but I have to run. I thought I would just let you know that the H&K is an excellent firearm. You can't go wrong with it.

Sig, to hell and back!
    I've shot both. Save your money and get the M&P, it works for duty just fine without paying a premium for the name HK roll marked on the slide.
    People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulicords View Post
    +1 on the H&K LEM trigger. I don't have a P2000, but I do own and have carried extensively the full sized USP .45 and compact .40 (both with LEM triggers). Although they're both good, serviceable weapons, my first question would be, 'Why not just carry your Glock Model 27 as an off-duty weapon, as well as your back-up?' It's smaller than the S&W and no larger than the P2000sk, has a more potent (.40 S&W) caliber, works exactly like your primary duty weapon (Glock Model 22) and you don't need to buy another pistol unless you just want to (in which case go ahead!).
    Not a fan of Glocks to be honest with you. I was issued the G-22 and I bought the G-27 for the idea I can use the same magazines in case everything hits the fan. If you know what I mean.

Im deciding between these 2 because I want one to call my "own". lol.

"Retired"
    They're both excellent guns. If you're open to suggestion, today I just shot my new Sig-Sauer P239 in .40 S&W for the first time. It's a keeper! Very compact, accurate and recoil is very manageable. The gun is a single stack, with a 7+1 capacity, so it holds a few less rounds than the H&K or Smith, but it's a very comfortable grip and very concealable. The D/A is about 7 lbs and it has a 4 lb trigger that's very clean. Worth a look, if you're interested. Good luck with your decision!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Forum Member
    They're both excellent guns. If you're open to suggestion, today I just shot my new Sig-Sauer P239 in .40 S&W for the first time. It's a keeper! Very compact, accurate and recoil is very manageable. The gun is a single stack, with a 7+1 capacity, so it holds a few less rounds than the H&K or Smith, but it's a very comfortable grip and very concealable. The D/A is about 7 lbs and it has a 4 lb trigger that's very clean. Worth a look, if you're interested. Good luck with your decision!
    According to Sig's website that's not quite correct. On a DA/SA the DA is listed at 10lbs and the SA is lited at 4.5lbs. The DAK, their version of a DAO pistol is listed at 7lbs.

I agree with pulicords that the P239 is worth a look.
    Pros:
    1. It is accurate for a gun its size.
    2. It is very reliable.
    3. It is available in 9mm, 357 SIG and 40 S&W.
    4. It is somewhat modular, you can convert a DAK to DA/SA or vice versa.
    Cons:
    1. Mag only holds 10-7 depending on caliber.
    2. It is not totallly ambidexterous like the P2000.

"Retired"
    I confess that I didn't weigh trigger, but it felt about 7 lbs and is very smooth. I've shot the DAK series P239 and I found the trigger to be heavier than the LEM series H&Ks I currently own and others that I've shot. I'm not disparaging H&Ks, but the P239 is sure worth a look and I wouldn't discount it due to a 8 or 9 (basic) round capacity vs 11. The grip is very comfortable!

Forum Member
    thanks for the input. Pulicords, ill look into the suggested firearm. For all those responding, thank you. I appreciate it. To bad the range I went to doesnt allow rentals for the original posted guns.

Forum Member

HK makes good stuff, the question is whether or not it's so good that you should pay that much more. My answer is no, unless you feel absolutely no confidence in S&W. Having shot and shot the heck out of a few of the M&Ps, I am telling you they have finally built a FINE semi-auto pistol. Excellent value in this weapon, also acknowledged by some trustworthy sources. Go to tactical forums and do a search, you'll get some good info, particularly on the M&P .40. You're not taking a chance, it's a damn good gun. However, if you really have to have HK, you're doing nothing wrong except spending extra money that won't get you that much better of a gun. It's up to you.

Forum Member

I've heard many good things about both pistols, but have no personal experience with either. I do feel, like someone mentioned, that HK's are overpriced compared to similar pistols.

A friend of mine is a former cop, and now works as an Air Marshal. He carries the Sig in .357 Sig. The pistol has over 30,000 rounds through it, with no hiccups. It looks beat to hell, but it keeps on ticking. Sig makes a great pistol, you might look at them.
    For quality law enforcement and military gear check Green Mountain Tactical

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef View Post
    I was issued the P2000 over 2 years ago and have put it through hell, literally. Never had a single problem, not even one jam with it. Haven't fired the S&W, but if I had to choose sight unseen between a H&K and a S&W semi-auto, I'd choose the H&K any day of the week. By the way, get the .40...
    I agree it's hard to beat H&K quality. That said we use the M&P 40 for duty and it's an excellent pistol that has made experts out of poor skilled officers and their subcompact version really is a good realistic offduty carry because of it's smaller size it's like your G27 but comes with three different grips to make it slimmer unlike the glock you have. I would get an H&K over either of them any day of the week but speaking as a veteran cop realistically off duty you carry what is easiest. For me, I either tote around my Jframe or my little Kahr 40 in a pocket holster because I hate wearing a belt. You cant go wrong with either choice you make though, just think realistically about what you would actually carry more. Because it's not just you that is involved. We need as many well tempered well trained "SHEEPDOGS" out there looking out for the "WOLVES" as we can get. And it's a moot point if your gun is sitting at home because you didnt feel like strapping it on because it was a pain to tote around.
    Last edited by Nightshift va; 10-26-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

We carry H&K P-2000s in .40 as our issued weapons and Glock 26s as back ups. Both are completely reliable but I do prefer the H&K. It does have a long trigger pull and stacks but is extremely accurate once you get used to the trigger. We have had the H&Ks for about two years now and I have never seen anyone have a probem with one at the range. Sigs are my Favorites and if we could carry personnaly owned weapons mine would be a Sig. I intend to buy a Sig for my CCW weapon on retirement and though I haven't yet had the opportunity to shoot one I have to Agree with Pullicord that the 239 sure looks great for a CCW weapon. when our agency first went with Autos it was with the S&W 6906 I am not a fan of S&W autos but I carried it for five years and it was completely reliable never had a malfunction and I used to shoot a lot. The same applies to the glock. We carried Glock 19s for about 4 years it was accurate and reliable as is the 26 we carry now. I am just an unrepentant Sig fan. Good luck on your search and hope you find a handgun to suit you.

"Retired"
    All this talk about P239s the last few weeks, forced to buy one as my new off-duty/CCW when I happened on a good deal. Here it is (in 40 S&W):

Forum Member
    pulicords
    Nice! Nill Rhomlas? Did they come with the gun too?

"Retired"
    Thanks. They didn't come with the gun, but for the price I paid ($380.00), I figured I could afford to dress it up a bit. I also added the Truglo TFO sights (green/yellow) and a solid stainless steel recoil spring guide.

Forum Member
    Thanks. They didn't come with the gun, but for the price I paid ($380.00), I figured I could afford to dress it up a bit. I also added the Truglo TFO sights (green/yellow) and a solid stainless steel recoil spring guide.
    LOL, now all you need to do is send it to Bruce at GGI and you'll have dumped twice as much as you originally paid for the gun!

Corrections

I agree with some of the other posters, I'm just not a big fan of the S&W autos.

I'd go with the H&K.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last