Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Minneapolis Police Cadet Program (Accelerated Program)

Thought some of you may be interested!

Cadet Police Officer (Accelerated Program)

The Minneapolis Police Department is looking for candidates, with diverse backgrounds, to participate in an upcoming Minneapolis Police Department (Accelerated) Cadet Program. This program will be the first of its kind for the Minneapolis Police Department. It allows selected candidates to have a GUARANTEED job with the MPD prior to graduating from college. The Minneapolis Police Department will pay all tuition and fees for the Technical Law Enforcement Courses (Skills). Applicants must have completed their THEORY classes by May 23rd, 2008 from an accredited college or university in the field of Law Enforcement however you may apply for this position prior to graduation.

Selected candidates will undergo intense training. If TECHNICAL SKILLS has already been completed by the applicant, the candidate must attend a condensed TECHNICAL SKILLS portion again to be a part of this Cadet program. Cadets also earn a salary while attending the TECHNICAL SKILLS program.

Fitness and Agility tests, Oral interviews and a Background Investigation will be completed by the Minneapolis Police Department. In addition, upon a conditional job offer, candidates must pass a medical and psychological exam.

Once TECHNICAL SKILLS has been completed, the Accelerated Cadets will take their POST licensing exam in August 2008 and then will begin the Minneapolis Police Academy on approximately August 12th, 2008.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/poli...ccelerated.asp

Forum Member

Does anyone know how this differs from the program in the past?

If they expect that you will have completed Semester 1 (theory) before May, does that mean they will put you through Semester 2 (skills) during their own program next summer?

I thought CCJLE hasn't had Skills in the summer in the past. Will they have their own (accelerated?) skills next summer?

Thanks

STORM THE CASTLE!
    yup the dept will pay for the second semester of skills.
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Forum Member

Cadet

Essentially the [I]new[I] cadet program is the recruit academy with a nine week skills added on if I am correct, so it is about 21 to 22 weeks long. I think that for the first nine weeks there will be little time spent at the MPD training site since most of it will be doing the skills portion at CCJLE.

They were having too many people dropping out of the seven month cadet program and it seemed to be a waste of money to do so. I think this is a version that might have a smaller wash out ratio.

I just interviewed this morning and I think I did pretty well. Anyone else interview today or will interview this week?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNCop2b View Post
    I just interviewed this morning and I think I did pretty well. Anyone else interview today or will interview this week?
    Tomorrow.

Semper Fi

Forum Member

I interviewed this morning; I thought it was going to be more intense, but it was quick and dirty. Veteran points, gotta love 'em.

STORM THE CASTLE!
    Vets points is the primary reason I have a job...

Forum Member
    Interviewed today. I think it went well but I guess we'll see. Good luck to everyone who's still in the process.

STORM THE CASTLE!
    curious what was te interview like..I am trying to compare it to what I went through as a lateral...

Forum Member

Interviews are continuing through Thursday so I don't want to spoil the fun for those still waiting to interview. I will say that I walked in confident and walked out puzzled. I suppose we'll find out by the end of next week or sooner. I hope they tell us by email, I don't trust the postal system at times like this.

Forum Member
    What? Nobody else?

Forum Member
    well good luck getbusy lol i am sure they will be mailing it out i never had a pd email anything to me even though your right nothing worse than having to rely on the post office lol

Forum Member

They emailed me the invitation to the agility testing as well as the interview. I think they said the next step would be by telephone. They can send it by carrier pigeon, just as long as they keep calling me back in.

i just do what I am told.

I haven't heard of many people going to it - unfortunately it is a small niche' of individuals that qualify.....

Good luck to those that were invited, be proud and strong, you have some tarnish on the program from people who have failed or quit in the past, so please make the program look great this time around so they will continue it for others. It is such a great opportunity for those who can be involved.

Forum Member

Did anybody receive a call for the background seminar? Obviously I have not, but there's still a little time left. I figure my chances are better with this than against the normal 400 applicants for other cities. Then again, I might be too good looking for Mpls...

Forum Member
    Nothing yet, but I didn't think we'd hear anything before today anyway. I hope today or tomorrow morning since they're doing background seminars this weekend.

Forum Member
    Calls went out today.

Forum Member

Does that mean you received a call Sgt H? I was called this afternoon, but my classmate was not. I wonder what that does to the candidate pool. Anyhow, maybe I'll see you tomorrow evening at the seminar.

STORM THE CASTLE!
    Good luck on the backgrounds.....DO NOT OMIT anything!!!!!! Our department will forgive a LOT of "sins" (heck I got hired) but if you lie or omit you are gone end of story and they will find it. Also get phone numbers get zip codes, fill out all the lines. The more work you do for your investigator and the less they have to do the better.

Forum Member
    I got a call and a friend of mine did also. Supposedly they were going in alphabetical order, take in account phone tag etc. I'll be there Friday night as well so I'll see you there.

I have all my info from my military clearance so I think I'll be ok as far as the packet goes. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

Having your entire history organized like that will definately make things easier for you. I have something similar to that. There was a time I thought about applying for the Air Marshals and spent endless hours putting all of that same information together. They wanted to know everything down to if you were left or right handed. I'll probably have to go to the Soc Sec office to get a print-out of all the little jobs I had in high school. Hard to remember stuff that far back.

STORM THE CASTLE!
    Getbusy that is a good call in fact my investigator required that I do that, and turn a copy of the print out in to him.

Forum Member

They narrowed down the pool from 140+ to 82 candidates. I actually saw a couple of classmates I really didn't expect to see. They want us to record every contact with the police we've ever had. Its a raw deal for those that have worked security. Also, for the 'older' crew(I use that term loosely), there's a lot more to remember and record, more jobs, more residencies, etc. I guess more mileage equals more perspective, but in this case it equals more blue ink, or was it black ink? I don't think I even have any blue ink pens...
    squad51: what do you recommend as far as recalling police contact as it relates to traffic stops? I'm sure I've been warned at least twice, possibly a citation in Montana that may or may not have been completely on the up and up. I think the officer just took my money and I don't recall an actual citation. Will NCIC give me a complete detail on that stuff, or do I have to rely on my memory? We only have until Jan8 to complete the packets.

i just do what I am told.

I always thought "contact with police officers" was a stupid way to ask it.
    Working retail multiple times, living in a neighborhood where the cops have to be called a lot, etc etc., kind of makes it difficult to recall every instance. I know I started a partial list somewhere a couple years back, but wow, most of the things aren't even documentation by those departments.

What exactly are they looking for in collecting this information?
    (not in this program, just looking for insight.)

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last