Page 1 of 12 123411 ... Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CSX - Police Special Agent

Forum Member

CSX - Police Special Agent

I recently had my phone interview with CSX and would like to know if anyone has any info as to who is the Chief is and any insight on the job duties for the Northeast area. Thanks!
    A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well, and to help those
    who are doing well to do even better.- Jim Rohn

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by magl23 View Post
    I recently had my phone interview with CSX and would like to know if anyone has any info as to who is the Chief is and any insight on the job duties for the Northeast area. Thanks!
    Wow consider yourself lucky. I never even got even as much as a thank you but no thank you notice but I hear that they only usually hire experienced police officers. Good luck with the process
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Forum Member

Sorry for us ignorant people can you inform us of what the abrv CSX stands for?

Forum Member

CSX Railroad police

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kovek View Post
    Sorry for us ignorant people can you inform us of what the abrv CSX stands for?
    Chessie/Seaboard and the "X" means "Together we are many times more".
    A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well, and to help those

Forum Member

Heh I was coming back from D.C. today and saw a train car that said CSX sitting in a railyard. I was like, "I bet you I am going to get home and check o.com and they're going to tell me its for CSX railroad police. Anyway thanks for clueing me in. I assume CSX functions same as Amtrak police? Are they still federal or private "special police" status.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kovek View Post
    Heh I was coming back from D.C. today and saw a train car that said CSX sitting in a railyard. I was like, "I bet you I am going to get home and check o.com and they're going to tell me its for CSX railroad police. Anyway thanks for clueing me in. I assume CSX functions same as Amtrak police? Are they still federal or private "special police" status.

My buddy said they are private, they attend local acedemies and their pay, benis and perks are pretty good. He wouldn't leave the job for nothen. He did mention the Agents have a good thing goin as well. Oh he's a CSX Police officer somewhere South East now I think.

"Stu Cazzo"
    All commercial Railroad Police are private and hold commisions based upon state laws. This includes Amtrak, which although funded by congress, is still considered a private entity for LE purposes. There is no "federal" jurisdiction for railroad police. They enforce the state laws where the rail operates. There is a federal law that grants them powers in other states (on their property) as long as they are commissioned in at least one state. This elimiantes the need for an officer to be comissioined in let's say 20 different states where the rail operates, like CSX, Norfolk Southern, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FedIG View Post
    All commercial Railroad Police are private and hold commisions based upon state laws. This includes Amtrak, which although funded by congress, is still considered a private entity for LE purposes. There is no "federal" jurisdiction for railroad police. They enforce the state laws where the rail operates. There is a federal law that grants them powers in other states (on their property) as long as they are commissioned in at least one state. This elimiantes the need for an officer to be comissioined in let's say 20 different states where the rail operates, like CSX, Norfolk Southern, etc.
    Thanks for the info.

Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    Thats pretty cool. I just discovered over the last few months this thing called railroad police. I can't seem to find any information about employment in central Ohio though. I know we have several train lines and at least 1 major switching station.

Anyone out there know anything about Central Ohio railroad coppers?
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

FORUM MEMBER

the only thing I could suggest to you FiremanMike is to find out which railroads run through there and go to their websites. That is the only way to apply, is on line.

One Night In Bangkok
    Chessie/Seaboard and the "X" means "Together we are many times more".
    Actually the X is a mulitplier for the different companies which make up CSX such as the real estate division, intermodal etc. More than the railroad.

I work with the Baltimore guys from time to time and from hearing what they have told me, lots of area to patrol from Pa to Va.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

FED

Railroad police leosa

I also heard there is problems carrying a weapon afterhours or after retirement under LEOSA (HR 218) with these private railroad police. I think the FOP is working on legislation that would allow at least the Amtrak police to carry under LEOSA. It may be something to think about.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by datfas View Post
    I also heard there is problems carrying a weapon afterhours or after retirement under LEOSA (HR 218) with these private railroad police. I think the FOP is working on legislation that would allow at least the Amtrak police to carry under LEOSA. It may be something to think about.
    All the RR Cops I know carry (not sure about the retirement thing) off-duty.

Just was at a conference with a guy from BNSF. Loves the job, loves the ability to do his own thing without lots of supervision, and loves the area he gets to roam.

He drove a new Ford Exploder. Had lots of equipment in it, but I could have done without the lightbar. A recylced MX-7000. Gonna spend the money on new rides, should at least spend the money on a decent light bar as well.

Forum Member
    I had my phone interview about the same time. The next week I recieved an email and took several assessment tests online. Still waiting now to see if I can get an interview. I cant stand the waiting game. One thing about Law Enforcement jobs: Wait, wait. and wait some more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VALOR-221 View Post
    I had my phone interview about the same time. The next week I recieved an email and took several assessment tests online. Still waiting now to see if I can get an interview. I cant stand the waiting game. One thing about Law Enforcement jobs: Wait, wait. and wait some more.
    I'm in the same boat, I guess I just have to wait until I get the call ...good luck to you!
    Last edited by magl23; 10-27-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Waingro...where is he?
    I can't find the pay/benefits page for CSX police on their website...can anyone link it?
    Perseverate In Pugna

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Narco944 View Post
    I can't find the pay/benefits page for CSX police on their website...can anyone link it?
    I've never seen one on any of the RR sites.....

Forum Member
    As Bearcat said, I've never seen pay charts on any of the RR HR sites.

Not sure why.

Forum Member

There is no link as far as CSX pay is concerned, but I can tell you it is very reasonable.

Forum Member

And the 30-year 100% pension isn't bad either.

My college town has CSX lines running straight through the middle, and intoxicated/preoccupied students seem to love wandering on to the tracks. For a while it was a big problem with quite a few fatals within a year. A CSX officer usually comes down on weekend nights and patrols the bad spots, and our department backs him up. The CSX officer makes the criminal arrest and we ding the student through the university judicial system.
    -Mike
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

One Night In Bangkok
    Starting pay is between 55 to 60k with take home vehicle. I havent heard anything since the phone interview in September. I did stop over at their HQ's in Baltimore however no one answered.

Most of the frieght RR's pay their police between 45 to 70k. CSX has the highest starting pay that I know of. I think Union Pacific posts its pay in its advertisements.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member
    I recieved a response to my email from CSX. It stated that they are still working on filling 40 positions in various locations. The email said that they are hoping to have them filled up by March.

Looks like as long as we have not recieved the Thanks, but No thanks email, that we should still be in the running.

Good Luck...

Forum Member

I'm sorry I'm posting late to this but I thought I might clear up some questions if people find this again.

As far as finding out information about railroad police benefits/pay, your best bet is to find a railroad cop in your area and ask them. I have never seen any railroad advertise like they should on what we make a year and our benefits.

As far as working for the railroad goes..... it's a love/hate relationship....kinda like being married after a couples of years LOL

Some days you just love it and other days you wonder if you would be better off back working a beat car in a city/county taking calls all day. It just depends on your flavor of L.E. I personally love the job but sometimes it can get boring and yes we do a lot of "Security" functions but on the other hand I also do a lot of police work-traffic stops, arrests, investigations blah blah.

Every railroad is different, every supervisor is different. So you really need to do some research on what railroad you want to work for. For those who think we are security guards....come ride with me in Detroit and I promise you'll change your opinion real fast. I arrest people then half the small town cops in Michigan do, it's not that hard in Detroit. Yes we can arrest for non-related crimes but you better be ready to have the bosses coming at you.

The job is closely related to that of a DNR officer, yes we carry a lot of powers but we have to be smart in using those powers. The railroad pays me to protect them, not the city I'm patrolling in or the county. The DNR focuses on protecting the wild life of michigan where I focus on protecting the railroad.

Also I carry off duty, most of buddies I work with carry off duty. A lot of us are part time police officers for other agencies as well, it helps keep us sharp with other skills that we don't utlize with the railroad such as domestics and so fourth. It's definately a great job but its not for everyone. If you are just coming out of the academy I would recommed staying with a city police department/county until you get your feet wet.

But if your one of those guys that is tired of the BS and politics of a city department, tired of the nieghbor complaints, domestics, jerk off supervisors then by all means check out the railroad because you will love it. By the way I work for Freight railroad, I don't know much about the Amtrak and passenger service guys. I would definately say Freight has it's benefits because I like the surveillances and detective work.

Forum Member
    Finally on the boards here, anyways, I am currently processing for the CSX Special Agent Position and so far I completed a phone interview and two online test that included a personality test and critical thinking test. I believe that my background is being done. Does anyone know what the next step would be? I heard it was an oral board interview, but sure where it would be. Also, how the selection process works. I have prior law enforcement experience, which I am wondering if there is an academy for this. Anyone, with heads up on this, please feel free to post. Thanks!

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... Last